• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha VS. Mountain cat ??? which sled???

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
It is time to upgrade. I would really like to stay around 10k. I have always thought I wanted the 18 mountain cat. now I am questioning if I am going to be upset that I didn't spend a little more and get the Alpha.
I am 6'4 220lbs so riding a sled that takes a little more rider input is not am issue for me.
So I guess I am asking if there is really that big of a difference in the 2 sleds.
I only ride trails to get to the real riding, and some of my riding areas have 0 miles of trail so trail manners are not a concern.
Coming off a Big bore M series.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I ride a 17 MC 153, almost an Ascender... My buddy has a 19 Alpha 165. I absolutely love my sled but the Alpha is my next sled without a doubt. It is like cheating when boondocking. It is no worse than a twin rail on the trail.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have both.
There are times that i miss the 18's stability on sidehills. Parking the Alpha on a sidehill isn't as easy as a twin rail. U gotta lean it hard in to the hill, like a skidoo.

Trails are the same other than lack of lubrication on the hyfax on the Alpha.

Alpha is definitely more capable in deep snow, traction is unreal. Its so easy to ride, sled will be out of gas before u.

Sent it

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If you dont get the alpha you will always be wondering if you made the right decision, get it right away, incredible sled!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have an 18' twin rail and a 19' alpha. they are two different sleds for sure. In super technical terrain the twin rail is more predictable a stable. The alpha is super easy everywhere else. You will love either one.

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
I have zero regrets going from my '18 MC to my '20 MCA1! I feel zero differences on the trails going to and from the mtns. Acts the same as a twin rail.

Feb 15, 2008
I was asking myself the same question until last Friday. I found a hold over alpha for only $1k more than the twin rail mountain cat and had better warranty so it made sense in my case. If you can afford a few more $ go for the alpha. If not the mountain is just as fun to ride!

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I went through the same debate last year. I decided to buy the mountain cat and do some mods. Ended up with an 18 MC with a turbo, belt drive and more. Rode an Alpha 3 times during december/January and when the rebates hit on the Alpha I instantly jumped on it. Been on a stock Alpha since and haven't looked back. They are so dang fun to ride right out of the box. They are both great sleds but you will likely wish you had got the Alpha if you ever ride one.

Premium Features