• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha track...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
This year, i believe Polaris put clips on all the paddles because of some track wear from hifax . Just like cat has done on all power claw tracks till now, gen 4...

The Alpha paddles only go to the center of the rail (one hifax) per paddle.

its 7in between clips, and again on the left side. Yes there is a fiberglass rod that is full length and a clip goes across both hifax but no paddle on the right side under clip.

The inside of the paddle on the Gen 4 power claw has been designed to support most of the weight. It has a post/claw whatever u want to call it. This is required because the weight is on the center ~4in of the track. Run a Monorail on a standard Power claw and u will see the paddles fold over.

All left paddles have clips and support the left hifax, all Right paddles do not have clips and provide support to the right hifax.

Try that on a true 2 rail sled..

I see the rubber on the hifax getting hot on the trail. Especially now that u can only get snow to one side of the hifax from scratchers.

Maybe im wrong?

Last edited:

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
I agree with what you are saying. The 7" between clips seems to be a big space and I think you could get rubber burning in that arrangement with a low snow situation. If you are in 2ft of snow, I dont think it will be a problem.

The simple solution seems to be to add clips. Its only 22 clips +-. The only issue is you cant get the special clips from arctic cat and the space between the rubber nubs is approximately 2 7/8" on each paddle. I think flat clips would be fine since you already have guides on the other clips but all clips appear to be 1 1/2" wide. I may buy some, modify them and try them out.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I got a better view of the track.
The post seems to be in the center, not like previous powerclaw tracks that stop short of center. The weight will most likely be distributed evenly across both hifax.

My point that the right side doesn't have clips still stands and the right paddle supports the same amount of weight as the left. I see wear happening on the trail.
0f5927cfbb5c67f81e9e9dd2dafe1e11.jpg

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Welcome to Polaris's America.

Everything is about weight loss these days. "Flickable" is what sells sleds and determines if you can ride it or not. That is why we are stuck with weak rear tunnels, and changes like this. Shaving ounces.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Welcome to Polaris's America.

Everything is about weight loss these days. "Flickable" is what sells sleds and determines if you can ride it or not. That is why we are stuck with weak rear tunnels, and changes like this. Shaving ounces.

Agreed. I am adding a $250 rear bumper and whatever weight just to reinforce the rear tunnel so it doesn't dent up just from carrying a gas can like it did last year! I'd rather have the added strength vs. whatever weight difference there was in a thinner gauge aluminum.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
My guess is it will be fine if you use scratchers everywhere you normally would with a twin rail. They did lots of testing.

Z
Apr 26, 2017
Agreed. I am adding a $250 rear bumper and whatever weight just to reinforce the rear tunnel so it doesn't dent up just from carrying a gas can like it did last year! I'd rather have the added strength vs. whatever weight difference there was in a thinner gauge aluminum.

Probably not a problem many people will have, but I'm not sure I will do a rear bumper again. Due to the reinforced bumper, when I came down on the tail it transferred the impact further up the tunnel. Instead of a few hour job just replacing the rear section of the tunnel, I had to remove the tunnel from the bulkhead and replace the entire tunnel.

While I do agree they are maybe weaker than need be, sometimes I think they are engineered to give away in spots intentionally for a easier fix.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Probably not a problem many people will have, but I'm not sure I will do a rear bumper again. Due to the reinforced bumper, when I came down on the tail it transferred the impact further up the tunnel. Instead of a few hour job just replacing the rear section of the tunnel, I had to remove the tunnel from the bulkhead and replace the entire tunnel.

While I do agree they are maybe weaker than need be, sometimes I think they are engineered to give away in spots intentionally for a easier fix.
True.

Lähetetty minun K10000 Pro laitteesta Tapatalkilla

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

$180 for old style rear tunnel section. Almost same labor but cheaper and lighter haha

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I would go with a 1.00" wide to fill the holes in-between the std ctr. clips, I would bet you will get more track speed as the rubber will not be riding on the Hyfax! It is after the front guide wheels that the 7" spacing will produce extra drag along the front radius of the skid!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
This year, i believe Polaris put clips on all the paddles because of some track wear from hifax . Just like cat has done on all power claw tracks till now, gen 4...

The Alpha paddles only go to the center of the rail (one hifax) per paddle.

its 7in between clips, and again on the left side. Yes there is a fiberglass rod that is full length and a clip goes across both hifax but no paddle on the right side under clip.

The inside of the paddle on the Gen 4 power claw has been designed to support most of the weight. It has a post/claw whatever u want to call it. This is required because the weight is on the center ~4in of the track. Run a Monorail on a standard Power claw and u will see the paddles fold over.

All left paddles have clips and support the left hifax, all Right paddles do not have clips and provide support to the right hifax.

Try that on a true 2 rail sled..

I see the rubber on the hifax getting hot on the trail. Especially now that u can only get snow to one side of the hifax from scratchers.

Maybe im wrong?

Interesting. I wondered about this, wilh the scratchers being on the outside. And if you play with them, they have zero pressure on the ground until the skid is compressed, with them being mounted on the front arm. They flop sitting on level ground. Didn't see the clip thing. It has been published and posted that if you are riding anywhere other than deep snow, that this is not the sled to buy, get a Mt Cat. Super excited to see how they work!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
181 miles and lots of wear on the track.
U can smell it burning off the first mile or 2 from the truck.
That's with scratchers down and dragging feet to get as much snow as possible in the track.
I need to get 23 clips and a clip tool.
e023971ce9a9ea69993ec23c02b20475.jpg

S

SledderX

Sep 20, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
181 miles and lots of wear on the track.
U can smell it burning off the first mile or 2 from the truck.
That's with scratchers down and dragging feet to get as much snow as possible in the track.
I need to get 23 clips and a clip tool.
e023971ce9a9ea69993ec23c02b20475.jpg

Heard lots of people had issues over the season with the Alpha track falling apart and Cat refusing to replace them under warranty.

I understand it’s a deep snow only machine but you have to be able to get them to the deep snow. I ride an average of 20 km each way on groomed trails to get to the alpines and deep snow. So for that reason I can’t buy an Alpha? Isn’t this the case for most mountain riding areas? That being said, cat went and built the entire 2020 line up single rail alphas! As far as I know the track and skid is the same for 2020 as it was for 2019. What’s everyone’s take on this? And did anybody add clips or come up with a fix for the tracks falling apart?

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
I put ~1200 miles on my alpha last year and the track and hyfax still look new. I ride trail to get to the deeper snow as well. Hell in early/late season I rode a good bit of dirt to get to the snow. Not sure why some have this issue....

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I bought a demo'd alpha and after a few rides If i remember right (It's in its deep sleep for now) she has approx 1500km. That said I need to replace the hyfax for the following season, I also don't like the idea of clips every 2nd window and yeah you get the rubber dragging/wear going on...

Mine also seemed to have more wear on the outside of the hyfax from the rubber I'm thinking as it gets pushed along.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Heard lots of people had issues over the season with the Alpha track falling apart and Cat refusing to replace them under warranty.

Quite the over statement imo. Only tracks I’ve seen with damage came from hitting stuff. I’d say the alpha track wears long by far than the doo paddle spitting track or any occasion the Polaris tracks of recent years. Got over 1200 very hard miles on my alpha with only one little piece of paddle missing from a pretty hard rock hit.

P
Nov 29, 2020
Any you alpha riders having issues with the track tearing/delaminating we have come up with a solution. one of racers was havin the issue last year adn we worked closely with him to come up with a solution, nothing fancy, just practical. we now offer a alpha 4 wheel axle kit.

Premium Features