• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha track on twin rail?

J
Dec 23, 2018
Can an Alpha one track be adapted to a dual rail sled? I don't really like the handling characteristics of the alpha but that track climbs like no other. The alpha I have been out with the last couple weekends spanks everything on the hill. I have an 850 Poo with a 2.6 and it might be close in wetter heavier snow but in the pow no way I could keep up with the alpha. I prefer the handling and predictability of my 850 and even my buddies 18 MC but either of those sleds get dusted by the alpha. I don't know if it's the way the track flexes or contours to the hill or thr 3.5" pitch but that track flat out works. I would like to see how one would work on my 850 if it could be done.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Can an Alpha one track be adapted to a dual rail sled? I don't really like the handling characteristics of the alpha but that track climbs like no other. The alpha I have been out with the last couple weekends spanks everything on the hill. I have an 850 Poo with a 2.6 and it might be close in wetter heavier snow but in the pow no way I could keep up with the alpha. I prefer the handling and predictability of my 850 and even my buddies 18 MC but either of those sleds get dusted by the alpha. I don't know if it's the way the track flexes or contours to the hill or thr 3.5" pitch but that track flat out works. I would like to see how one would work on my 850 if it could be done.
You would have to figure out how to put clips where the rails are. I think there are enough aftermarket tracks out there that will get you close enough to the alpha track to make it not worth it imo

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Just have to cut holes where the twin rails ride and clip the track.
I agree with the traction of the Alpha. No track compares in the deep.

Legends ZX2 SR

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Would like to do this but I’d be worried punching more holes in the alpha track. These newer single ply tracks don’t seem to be as tough has the old tracks.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I agree with all the above, rode my daughters Alpha in tit deep pow a couple of different days and I’ve never experienced a track hook up that well. My 850 poo works awesome with 163 2.6 but the Alpha track was next level on hook up.

J
Dec 23, 2018
I never took into consideration the holes and clips you would need to put in the alpha track. Another buddy had a mountain cat with a x3 track and I was pretty impressed with how that worked but that track is 10 pounds heavier than my 2.6 track.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
The alpha track even compared to my 19 MC 3" PC 162 is a full next level up for sure. Its almost not even in the same class. I rode with a 165 alpha a lot this year and he out climbed me in all cases.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I know people have had tracks USA punch and clip the alpha track for use on the twin rail. Not sure how much it cost. Anyone know how much the alpha 165 weighs? My guess is it’s 5-6 lbs less than the powerclaw 3” that comes on the dual rail.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Seems like a cut down doo track would be simpler. That big hole in the middle would lose flotation. Track porting loses weight and floatation. Everyone that over ported their tracks went backwards and thought it was the greatest thing since milk.

J
Dec 23, 2018
I know people have had tracks USA punch and clip the alpha track for use on the twin rail. Not sure how much it cost. Anyone know how much the alpha 165 weighs? My guess is it’s 5-6 lbs less than the powerclaw 3” that comes on the dual rail.

How did they perform? Were they on par with the alpha or was the way the track contours to the mountain the difference maker?

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
You could also sell your track and use the new Composit M67 track. It now comes in a 3.5 inch pitch. 2.6 lug.
A buddy used it this season on his G4 and he said it was better than the stock Ski-Doo track.
You would just have to press off and on the drivers to the "traditional' location.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Is it really the new track that makes all the difference or the Alpha setup? How can you tell?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I wouldn't bother even if you could. and you wouldn't benefit from the track either. Best thing would be trying to get say a doo track on as they shortned the fiberglass bars on the xm to allow the edges to flex which helps get it over.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
They told me they can't do any 3.5pitch tracks. Don't have the tooling. "We are currently not setup to punch 3.5" pitch tracks, so no, we cannot make an Alpha track fit on a twin rail at this time. Thanks - Tony"

Polaris

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
id love to see this track compared to a 3.2 on a deep day, climbing, on an 850. I know 3.2 has some mixed reviews but id have to see it.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You could also sell your track and use the new Composit M67 track. It now comes in a 3.5 inch pitch. 2.6 lug.
A buddy used it this season on his G4 and he said it was better than the stock Ski-Doo track.
You would just have to press off and on the drivers to the "traditional' location.

That is a pretty good option track. One of my doo 850 buddy’s replaced his 3” doo track with it and has really liked it. Seems to work just as well as the doo 3” in the same length. We weighed it before installing and it was about 50lbs for the 2.6 lug, 3.5 pitch 165 length.

Premium Features