• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha track failures

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

You would think that they would sleeve the thru bolt-otherwise a guy would think its going to wallow out on the soft mono rail....[/QUOTE]I ordered the kit and was very surprised when i opened it, there is not a sleeve...

Sent it

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
$1.09 at your local hardware store and about 5 minutes of your time...no need to buy their “kit”. And for all the no warranty comments. You blow a track or trash the rails on any other sled, your not gonna get warranty there either. I’ve been down that road. I actually had a mono rail replaced under warranty...I didn’t expect it to be tho. Built my own braces for about $20 and been beating the tar out of it since without issue. For reference I’ve bent every twin rail skid I’ve owned, from Polaris to cat and even a full holz skid back in the day. Hit stuff and it’ll break or bend.

618A155A-37B8-4745-AAFB-34EA582F5CFD.jpeg 5100219F-7629-4975-9E90-EF0D762689C5.jpeg

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Why jump ship to another brand with either the exact same problems or worse? Not trying to be rude just wondering the motivation
To answer your question will do this based solely based on mechanical. ( not handing etc) let’s use a Doo and current models. Not many clutch issues, belt, or track failures. 2-4 year warranty same price outta the box. Just my thoughts, not many issues on there forum. I’ll stick with my 16 cat for another year in the mean time.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U should do more thorough research...
17/18 doo's ate belts like candy... people would take 2-5 belts for a weekend... that is $400-$1,000.....ouch.
Same clutches today, just different calibration and ventilation.

They all have issues. If u want to read about Doo, go to dootalk , way more doo peeps there than on Snowest.

RMK handles awesome but has a lot of flaws also. Stupid sensor putting u in limp mode. Engine failures on par with the Ctec, if not more..
Clutches don't explode but may not last any longer than cat. Wiring issues, prior to 19,the axys ate tracks much worse than the Alpha, all without warranty from POO..

Sent it

Last edited:

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
U should do more thorough research...
17/18 doo's ate belts like candy... people would take 2-5 belts for a weekend... that is $400-$1,000.....ouch.
Same clutches today, just different calibration and ventilation.

They all have issues. If u want to read about Doo, go to dootalk , way may doo peeps there than on Snowest.

RMK handles awesome but has a lot of flaws also. Stupid sensor putting u in limp mode. Engine failures on par with the Ctec, if not more..
Clutches don't explode but may not last any longer than cat. Wiring issues, prior to 19,the axys ate tracks much worse than the Alpha, all without warranty from POO..

Sent it
As mentioned current model and handling excluded. Doo not eating belts 19 plus. Agreed on the Poo but again Ctec engine problems that I didn’t mention earlier. All in the eye of the beholder I guess! Just disappointed in Cat as I was going to upgrade but not at this time.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I posted in the FB group with alphas and a few others shared pretty much the exact same tear, torn through in a linear line where the wheels roll. One also had the exact same failure as me too, one said stock tension on his failure. Ive been wondering if the bit more tension than factory spec may of done it but I'll have to say it didn't.

S
Oct 11, 2018
Hello. I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone took the 3” track off and put a stronger 2.6 on? I have the 2020 HC 154 and I’m tearing the paddles vertically down to the track. I realize it’s more of a deep snow track so that’s why I’m thinkin of the 2.6 swap if it’ll work. Thanks. D

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Hello. I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone took the 3” track off and put a stronger 2.6 on? I have the 2020 HC 154 and I’m tearing the paddles vertically down to the track. I realize it’s more of a deep snow track so that’s why I’m thinkin of the 2.6 swap if it’ll work. Thanks. D
They offer a 2.6 on the Alpha now so it should bolt on. You just need to confirm the drivers are the same pitch or you will need them also.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Alpha 2.6 has a pitch of 2.86, Alpha 3in has a pitch of 3.5.
I think the 2.6 will be a better all around track. Less chance of breaking the rods since they are closer. Less likely to washout on sidehills. Run cooler down the trail at high speeds.

Sent it

S
Oct 11, 2018
thanks. From what I’ve been reading I think it’s a better choice for me. We only hit the mountains once a year and the 3” paddles are slicing straight down. Really don’t want to buy another 3” when it’ll probably do the same. Thanks again for the info. I’ll start shopping ?

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Just turned 700 miles 20 hardcore 165 1/2 of which were trail miles cus we had sucky snow last year and this till bout 3 weeks ago no track issues , run two sets of scratchers (cooling and hyfax) and hard as it is to do never go over 50 on the way out or coming back ,so far so good . But in 40,000 sled miles only killed one track , stabbed an attack 20 on my King cat best thing that ever happened lol !!

Premium Features