• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha track failures

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
How many of you guys have had tracks shed paddles on the Alpha. I have a friend that has a 20 HC 154 that has around 600 miles and it’s lost at least a half dozen paddles and some of the rubber around the paddle exposing the insides of the track. Just curious if this is a fluke or if this is becoming common

P
Feb 4, 2020
Mine has done the same. Have only lost one half of a paddle but took half a clip with it as well. Had about six split in half so i glued and clamped them all with E6000 and seems to be holding well. It started happening with 200 miles so i took it to the dealer for warranty everything was fine the claim was going through to the point of the dealer actually having the track in hand and then cat denied it last minute. Real big PITA for sure.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
4e59b857bde811e42d7eea178cdc0043.jpg

This happened on mine with about 2850 miles. Paddle ripped and the the fiberglass rod broke and then the drive window tore out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
Had a 19 with 1900kms no issues with track but 20 154 has lost few inside paddles and rubber over rod all on right side . Seen a few pictures of others with exact piece gone all inner paddle right side.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
My 20 with 250 miles and my dads 20 with 170 miles shedding paddles. PS No cat will not help with warranty.

Guess I won't help them keep going by ordering a 2021.
Ya I’m just trying to get a feel for what’s happening. I didn’t hear of many 19 having issues

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
At 2000km I am having issues, my fiber glass rods becoming exposed where rubber is flaking off, 2nd to that I now have 1 paddle that's ripping off for no reason.... Its literally as if the rubber didn't bond properly. I do have 2 split paddles, those would be from hitting something, but I know the torn paddle for sure was not caused by it hitting something.

Mine has done the same. Have only lost one half of a paddle but took half a clip with it as well. Had about six split in half so i glued and clamped them all with E6000 and seems to be holding well. It started happening with 200 miles so i took it to the dealer for warranty everything was fine the claim was going through to the point of the dealer actually having the track in hand and then cat denied it last minute. Real big PITA for sure.

I cant get e6000 to hold up on mine at all, the rubber is nice and clean and I've followed instructions, even using a clamp to make sure a nice tight fit and not moving while art up. i tried it on 2 ripped paddles and let sit for a week, first ride it still split the glue :/ maybe old tube of the stuff? Hmm.

20200211_204435.jpg 20200118_202046.jpg

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Octanee How tight are you running the track?
I don’t think anything will stay bonded in the area the wheel rides over it.

D
Apr 22, 2019
My 20 Hardcore 154 shed two paddles and two half paddles at 150 miles. You could tell it started from the center of the track. It appears to be heat related and the Cat manufacturers warranty didn't help. But, my dealer sold me a track for cost.

My theory is having two hyfax right next to each other creates more heat in one area than a twin rail set up. I guess i will have to be extra careful riding trail going in and out of the backwoods.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Octanee How tight are you running the track?
I don’t think anything will stay bonded in the area the wheel rides over it.

The rubber flaking from the rods occurred at factory track tension spec and approx 1500km on the sled at that point. it may of even been a bit looser than spec. I didn't adjust my tension until this past fall when I replaced my hyfax and it started eating it up front there. I was told the fix is to run a half inch less sag.

, been a bit so my spec may be wrong, if I remember right factory called for 2" at 20#? I'm 1.5" at 20#. And if it was that tight to stretch the rubber... I'm sure I'd of broken my wheels, not like them rear plastic idlers are all that beefy.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just shy of 400 miles on my '20 mc 165" and tracks still fine. (Knock on wood). I run it fairly tight, don't have a weight or scale so I just run it to where the tops of the nubs are at or just below the bottom of the hifaxes free hanging. Also don't go much more than 40 on the trail.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
19 165,
1,200+ miles.
A few torn paddles from trees and stumps.
I am honestly surprised that i don't have a bunch of torn or missing paddles. I Hit a lot of stumps and logs riding in low snow....
Never a day that i don't see at least 60mph on the trail and quite often 70mph, usually cruise around 40-50 unless moguls dictate otherwise.
Scratchers are always down on the trail sometimes i don't put them up for almost the entire day unless i need to back up.

Inside of the track has a lot of wear from the hifax and lack of track cilps...

Track has been tight(~1" with ~20#) since 150mi.

Sent it

Last edited:

vincebarnett

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2010
Fairbanks Ak
My 19 163 shed two paddles within 50 miles in deep powder. At the dealer now for a no start issue at 150 miles. Hopefully something comes to light on the track but I’m not holding my breath.

Premium Features