• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Silber turbo

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Have 250 miles on my alpha now, first 170 miles 100% stock. Best stock sled I have ever riden. Really considered keeping it stock, but I have a really good running 18’ cat 153 if I wanna ride a stock sled. Put the Silber turbo on a couple weeks ago. Really a super easy install, maybe took 3 hours. I’ll probably add a manual boost controller, boost gage and BOV at some point in the next couple weeks. We ride mostly at 8500 to 10,500 feet. First ride filled with pump 91 octane. Hit the det sensor a couple times going up the trail around 7500-8000 feet. Figured I’d take it easy until I got to altitude and figured the det would go away at 10,000 ft. Det continued to happened at high altitude. The low end bog everyone has talked about on the alpha Silber turbo was terrible. Really made it a not fun riding experience. The mid range and top end were pretty good, but couldn’t stay in it long cuz it would det. Only pulling 8100 rpm. So a bit disappointed for my first ride. Got a new tune on Christmas Eve and got it out yesterday. Also pulled a couple grams outta the weights and added 2 gallons of 110 race to 91 pump. Yesterday ride totally different. The alpha turbo totally screamed! Low end throttle response seemed pretty much perfect. Pulls like crazy throughout the rpm range. Reving out to 8400-8500 rpm. No det codes this ride with the added race fuel. Pulled some pretty long, steep and deep pulls, skis in the air all the way up until you let off. I usually run a little race with all my “pump gas” turbo anyway. Silber does not advertise this as a “pump gas turbo” either, so dont expect it to be one. I think if I play with the waste gate a little I could get the boost down to run straight pump 91. Coming from someone who is not trying to sell you a kit I would totally recommend this kit for your alpha now that the tune is where it needs to be. Don’t think most guys will benefit from any gages. I’m not going to put on an AFR gage because I see no reason too. There is no fuel to adjust, so I just don’t see the point. It runs pretty much perfect and that’s all I need.

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I turned the gate out 1 full turn from where it came from silber then add the manual boost controller. So if i want more boost can just turn it up. Get bad fuel turn it down. The off boost part of the new map is a bit fat now. Like 6 psi its about right

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Stopped at 6. I don't need much more than this. It just takes to much out of me when your spending energy just to hang on

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I think once I get a manual boost controller I’ll play in the 6-10lb range. Since I dont have a gage on it now I’m not sure what it’s running for boost. My guess in the 6ish lb range, which is plenty good for the riding I do. Would just be fun to turn it up once in awhile.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Have 250 miles on my alpha now, first 170 miles 100% stock. Best stock sled I have ever riden. Really considered keeping it stock, but I have a really good running 18’ cat 153 if I wanna ride a stock sled. Put the Silber turbo on a couple weeks ago. Really a super easy install, maybe took 3 hours. I’ll probably add a manual boost controller, boost gage and BOV at some point in the next couple weeks. We ride mostly at 8500 to 10,500 feet. First ride filled with pump 91 octane. Hit the det sensor a couple times going up the trail around 7500-8000 feet. Figured I’d take it easy until I got to altitude and figured the det would go away at 10,000 ft. Det continued to happened at high altitude. The low end bog everyone has talked about on the alpha Silber turbo was terrible. Really made it a not fun riding experience. The mid range and top end were pretty good, but couldn’t stay in it long cuz it would det. Only pulling 8100 rpm. So a bit disappointed for my first ride. Got a new tune on Christmas Eve and got it out yesterday. Also pulled a couple grams outta the weights and added 2 gallons of 110 race to 91 pump. Yesterday ride totally different. The alpha turbo totally screamed! Low end throttle response seemed pretty much perfect. Pulls like crazy throughout the rpm range. Reving out to 8400-8500 rpm. No det codes this ride with the added race fuel. Pulled some pretty long, steep and deep pulls, skis in the air all the way up until you let off. I usually run a little race with all my “pump gas” turbo anyway. Silber does not advertise this as a “pump gas turbo” either, so dont expect it to be one. I think if I play with the waste gate a little I could get the boost down to run straight pump 91. Coming from someone who is not trying to sell you a kit I would totally recommend this kit for your alpha now that the tune is where it needs to be. Don’t think most guys will benefit from any gages. I’m not going to put on an AFR gage because I see no reason too. There is no fuel to adjust, so I just don’t see the point. It runs pretty much perfect and that’s all I need.

I have one coming for mine as well, where did you settle on clutch weights as far as grams go? Also where is your engagement at and will it pull out of the hole like the stock will? I don’t want to loose the way this thing runs on the bottom as it is really good. Glad to hear the new map is better. Thanks for the report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I have one coming for mine as well, where did you settle on clutch weights as far as grams go? Also where is your engagement at and will it pull out of the hole like the stock will? I don’t want to loose the way this thing runs on the bottom as it is really good. Glad to hear the new map is better. Thanks for the report

I see you're from South E Idaho. Get a hold of Colin at Cycles & Sleds in Hyde Park UT. His clutching is spot on and hits hard on the bottom/mid. I'm pulling 80 grams at 6500 feet running 8450 rpm at 5 PSI. Clutches engage at 3400ish

Mine was 5.5 from silber

Mine was 5 PSI stock (gauge verified) and pulls very hard for that boost level.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
I see you're from South E Idaho. Get a hold of Colin at Cycles & Sleds in Hyde Park UT. His clutching is spot on and hits hard on the bottom/mid. I'm pulling 80 grams at 6500 feet running 8450 rpm at 5 PSI. Clutches engage at 3400ish

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for

N
Oct 15, 2018

X2, bought my kit from Colin as well and he has been great to deal with. Picks up the phone every time and answers any questions I have. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009

I have the flash from November, running it at 2000’ it has the bog around 4500-5000 rpms. You can work the bog out if you steadily increase rpms from bottom. (does this bog get exponentially worse at 9000’?) other then that the kit has been a breeze, seems like it should rip. Headed west Next weekend. Gonna get mine flashed this week! Anyone in the twin cities metro have a flash cable? Otherwise I’ll just rip up to park rapids one day. Thanks to all the guys sharing setup info. Running 76g at 6psi silber clutching to start.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I have had a Silber Turbo since last year. I had it on my 18 Mtn Cat and then swapped it into the Alpha. The 18 ran exceptionally well after a lot of tweaking to the clutching. When it came time to install it in the Alpha i took both sleds to Cycles And Sleds and had them swap the turbo to the Alpha. All I can say is, Wow do they do some impressive work!!!!

I had them install a BOV, Boost T and a boost gauge on the Alpha. I also went with their clutching for the Alpha. These parts were not cheap but i think they were worth every penny I paid for them !! Plus when the install was competed we got a bunch of the guys together that work there and rode for a day to make sure it was running 100% right. We ended up turning the boost up to 7 psi and adding some weight to the arms. At 7 psi we ended up with 81 grams of weight all in the tip with Colin's specially cut weights. The alpha pulls 8550-8600 rpms set up like this. I am not running the latest map yet either, and i only had a small hesitation every once in a while with his clutching. Nothing like some guys have experienced.

I will eventually go with the latest map. I have heard that it is quite a bit better. I think 95% of the people that are running a Silber on their Alpha will be more than happy with 7 psi. At 7 psi it is a hand full just to hang onto the darn thing. I have had supercharged sleds and big bores and everything between and this Silber setup with the additional parts from Cycles And Sleds in Hyde Park Utah pulls harder than any sled i have ever had and is funner to ride than the previous sleds i have had also. I would Highly recommend giving Colin a call at 435-563-6280. Even if you didn't get your turbo from him he is more than willing to help anybody out. If you have buddies that ride the other brand they also have specific setups for them also. If you have any question pm me here or look me up Darnell Arndt.

N
Oct 15, 2018
I turned the gate out 1 full turn from where it came from silber then add the manual boost controller. So if i want more boost can just turn it up. Get bad fuel turn it down. The off boost part of the new map is a bit fat now. Like 6 psi its about right

Great idea, I have the boost controller but didn’t think about lowering the base setting just case it’s needed. I haven’t looked at how to do this, do you have to pull the C clip and remove actuator arm from the wastegate in order to adjust it? How many inches of thread do you have showing above the locknut after you adjusted and what boost did that leave you with?

Thanks!

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I Guess I’m that one unlucky guy this year. Have 170 miles on my silber alpha and it just won’t run above 7000 rpm. It actually stutters so bad as it goes above 7000 that it feels like the track is ratcheting Of course I didn’t ride it stock so I don’t know if it’s a cat problem. Starts great. Idles fine. Plugs are new. Properly gapped and colour is good. Wash is good Both primary and secondary clutches are shifting out. I have the new program. I have checked and double checked exhaust valve cables. Valves function at start up and function at rpm Have double checked all plug connections. All plumbing is air tight all exhaust gaskets are double Spring and no leaks. Throttle cable is set Turbo spins freely and spools. Compression is 123 both sides. I’m just stumped on this one. Thinking about going back to stock to see if it runs. anyone run into something like this before

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I Guess I’m that one unlucky guy this year. Have 170 miles on my silber alpha and it just won’t run above 7000 rpm. It actually stutters so bad as it goes above 7000 that it feels like the track is ratcheting Of course I didn’t ride it stock so I don’t know if it’s a cat problem. Starts great. Idles fine. Plugs are new. Properly gapped and colour is good. Wash is good Both primary and secondary clutches are shifting out. I have the new program. I have checked and double checked exhaust valve cables. Valves function at start up and function at rpm Have double checked all plug connections. All plumbing is air tight all exhaust gaskets are double Spring and no leaks. Throttle cable is set Turbo spins freely and spools. Compression is 123 both sides. I’m just stumped on this one. Thinking about going back to stock to see if it runs. anyone run into something like this before

Sounds like a exhaust valve issue.

Premium Features