• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha RTS issue

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Yesterday riding into the backcountry my Alpha felt super harsh in the rear. I had checked the air in the shocks after the first ride and the FTS had only 35lbs in it and the rear 150. Set them at 65 and 130. I remembered setting the knob on 2. When I stopped the knob was on 3. Set to 2 and it was riding pretty well. Sure wish these shocks had rebound adjustment, they need some more rebound on the ski shocks and the RTS. Later in the day same thing happened, harsh ride on the trail and when I checked it the shock was back on 3.
So it appears that snow or branches or something is moving the knob to lockout. Anyone else notice this?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Havent knocked my knobs out of position yet. I had mine originally at 35 as well on the center but bumped it up to 50 and my rear at 130. I like the way it rides now. I'm about 175 with +15-20lbs of gear on me.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Did you set it at 35 or was it that way the first time you checked it. I had read that the factory was setting them at 75 I think and 150 for the RTS. Wanted to try the stock settings on the rear first before I fiddled with it. When I checked it after first ride it was only 35. Steeringeffort is less at 65, sled is a little more “tippy” too. I’m going to try 50 next ride.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
FFT.....I've played with my 2018 Mtn Cat quite a bit with shock pressures to get the front end to feel lighter. I'm at 65 psi in the FTS and like it alot. Much more playful. 185lbs + gear

Have not had any issue with the adjustment knobs moving. They stay set where I put them.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Knobs Haven't moved on my 18 or 19.
Fts started at 35. Then 68, then 50, then 56, now 62 #2
Rts started at 140, then 120, now 110#1.
#1 and #2 feel the exact same on the RTS.

190# plus 25# of gear.

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
Make sure sled is totally on its side or the rear is suspended when adding Air. I’ve also seen air pressure go down if I add air when it’s 60 degrees and then ride at 10 degrees.

K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
Yesterday riding into the backcountry my Alpha felt super harsh in the rear. I had checked the air in the shocks after the first ride and the FTS had only 35lbs in it and the rear 150. Set them at 65 and 130. I remembered setting the knob on 2. When I stopped the knob was on 3. Set to 2 and it was riding pretty well. Sure wish these shocks had rebound adjustment, they need some more rebound on the ski shocks and the RTS. Later in the day same thing happened, harsh ride on the trail and when I checked it the shock was back on 3.
So it appears that snow or branches or something is moving the knob to lockout. Anyone else notice this?

This happens to me alot i ride on the BC coast heavy snow. I thought this would happen when i got the sled. Low and behold.... not the worst thing in the world however funny engineers are smart enough to invent the shok but not smart enough to foresee such a thing.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Going to try trimming the knob down a bit on the bottom. Maybe back to the centerline so it looks like half a regular knob. I’m only using position 2 right now most of the time anyway.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I rode mine once and thought it rode like crap. Shock was locked out. Wonder if mine moved. I was even asking my buddy if my rear suspension was collapsing when he followed me out. Swear I had it in one. Snap ring come out of the upper idler and shut me down. Seems cool but have to learn how to ride it. Wrong foot forward is too much input in certain situations. Do you like yours more than your 175? You timed it right last year when you went with us. This year sucks. Hopefully I can get a full day on it tomorrow.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
After a ride the other day I checked my shocks and one of my fronts was on 3 the other was on 2. I had set them both on 2 in the morning. So somehow during the ride my front left shock got clicked from 2 to 3. Guess I need to check them more often.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Terry snow here in WA sucks too. January is usually a low snow month for us too. I’ve got 3 rides in, 2 on the Alpha and on on the Doo 175. Don’t have a decision yet on which I like better.
I will tell you when the rear shock gets clicked to 3 on any bumpy hard service you’ll know it right away!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Less steering effort and easier to initiate a sidehill? That’s what I felt at 65 but I went WAY up from 35-65psi.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I was confused on how a shock could adjust itself, then remembered how the shocks are oriented on the Alpha. Totally possible. Stick, willow, ice.
I have them on my Doodoo, they are harder than hell to turn/adjust, but the Alpha ones are hanging out in the open. Interesting....

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
set mine before last weekend.

55/55 setting 2
50 setting 2
140 setting 2

rode it...got lazy on changing it while riding. sled wanted to climb a bit sometimes in sidehill. figured i could tune it out just never messed with it.

just went out in shop to re-adjust and try some new settings. RT shock was locked out. sled was handling weird in the 2 tracks coming and wonder if this was why. *shrugs*

trying

51/51

mainly trying a little bit of opposite's on the rear just to see the difference.
i'm a big boy so not scared to maybe up FT to see if it balances a little better.

on a side note, can anyone suggest what to adjust if you have a hard time keep front from rising in side hill if you don't want? kinda had this issue with my MC too, where it wanted to turn up a lot. could be me, maybe sled...not sure.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
set mine before last weekend.

55/55 setting 2

50 setting 2

140 setting 2

rode it...got lazy on changing it while riding. sled wanted to climb a bit sometimes in sidehill. figured i could tune it out just never messed with it.

just went out in shop to re-adjust and try some new settings. RT shock was locked out. sled was handling weird in the 2 tracks coming and wonder if this was why. *shrugs*

trying

51/51

mainly trying a little bit of opposite's on the rear just to see the difference.

i'm a big boy so not scared to maybe up FT to see if it balances a little better.

on a side note, can anyone suggest what to adjust if you have a hard time keep front from rising in side hill if you don't want? kinda had this issue with my MC too, where it wanted to turn up a lot. could be me, maybe sled...not sure.
Foot placement is critical on side hills.
Mild hills, step back all the way. Makes it so easy to initiate and hold it.
The steeper the hill the more forward u need to stand.

Premium Features