• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha rear suspension

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Agree to a degree. Varies based on the particular sled, rider, and power level. I adjust based on snow conditions. If It's deep, too much pressure on the front of the skid is detrimental to moving through the snow. Firmer snow you can drop it more or crank up the FTS spring to help lift the front more.

Also, I'm not a fan of sucking up the limiter strap for my riding because then you lose suspension travel in the bumps. So I try to adjust ski pressure and deep snow performance with the spring setting. Spring is also easier to change on the fly on the hill.
I’ve always set my sleds up for deep snow performance and had the best luck with soft fts in the stock location but always leave the limiter all the way out so I get all the travel. Still never had a problem getting the front end up when I need to and packs the skis a foot or so off the snow.

I get that some people like a more playful front end and popping wheelies and such, It’s just never worked for me and it blows my mind seeing some of the springs and fts pressure people are running.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I just did an Alpha conversion on my 2018 Cat project and got a used track in reasonable shape and a perfect rail that I did the through bolt and already had a modded front shock mount. I fully clipped the track as well and hope that helps with the overheating track rods. I dropped the front arm to lowest hole and put rear to lowest as well. Might add Riot spindles and TKI or Iceage uppers soon as well. Haven't ridden it yet. Any suggestions on air pressure? Set it to 75 FTS and 140 rear to start. I am 220 plus gear. Might lower both as standing on sled it doesn't compress at all. New to Alpha so looking for advice.

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Spoon I have a 19 Alpha 154 that I put the TKI Riot kit on and I dropped the skid to the lower holes front and rear. FTS pressure 70 pounds with it set on 2
RTS 140 set on 2 and I am 250 pounds.
I have only been on 2 rides so far with this set up and it is definitely playful and a super light front end but it will trench bad if you aren’t careful with the throttle and if your to far back on the boards. I locked out the rear shock a couple times last ride and it helps keep the front end down. It is fun in the trees but I am going to play around with the pressures some more to try and get the trenching under control.
This has been in knee to thigh deep powder.

Premium Features