• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha One Offset Rear Axle with 12" idlers

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
On my Proclimb I ordered an offset rear axle kit (TKI I believe) and went from the stock 8" rear idlers to the Alpha 10" rear idlers.

Honestly, I didn't think it would make that big of a difference but, man was I wrong. It made my 153" sled feel like a 146" and it became a complete blast to ride.

I did lose an inch or so track of track on the ground because the track had to go around those huge rear idlers.

It MAY have freed up some horse power but, I think it just made the sled feel shorter and much more flickable.

So, I was wondering if this thought process might do the same on a 165" Alpha and longer track sleds?

Going with an offset rear axle and 12" rear idlers could make a 165" Alpha great fun and turn the 154" Alpha into a sled that would become more fun than allowed by law!

Is this even possible or practical with an Alpha? Here's a chance for an aftermarket company to design and release the next big thing!

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I would be concerned with the track hitting the tunnel as you approach that size rear wheel? I just guessing

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
If that turns out to be the case, perhaps there would have to be a warning with the instructions for the 12" rear wheel kit "only operate with rear skid in lower holes in drop brackets"?

The improvement may even be more dramatic on 174" twin rail setups?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i Know i noticed the 8 inch wheels on my MTN cat compared to older proclimbs mainly when backing up.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just know it made a heck of difference on my Proclimb going to larger rear idlers and thought it might work on the Alpha Ones as well.

I wish it wasn't the case but, sadly I have learned that there just isn't the clearance to pull this idea off.

Premium Features