• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha, Khaos in the meadows

U
Nov 11, 2009
Riding Michigan UP. For those that have ridden them both what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Price wise the Mountain Max is $1500.00 cheaper so far.

N
Nov 14, 2012
I ride a 20 alpha hardcore. Test Rode a 20 850 rmk yesterday for a little while. Spring conditions in northern Bc Canada. I like my alpha but after getting on a twin rail again, it’s got me thinking to get A twin rail under my Cat again. the 850 poo was so much more stable in a side hill. The alpha is amazing in the deep...unbeatable... but if you have a critical side hill in spring conditions, the alpha is a nightmare. its made for deep days and nothing else. I’d be curious to see how the 2.6 track is, but if I could go back, I’d buy a 19 hardcore. Might be doing a elevate twin rail kit and filling in the rest of the parts to do a twin rail swap.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I ride a 20 alpha hardcore. Test Rode a 20 850 rmk yesterday for a little while. Spring conditions in northern Bc Canada. I like my alpha but after getting on a twin rail again, it’s got me thinking to get A twin rail under my Cat again. the 850 poo was so much more stable in a side hill. The alpha is amazing in the deep...unbeatable... but if you have a critical side hill in spring conditions, the alpha is a nightmare. its made for deep days and nothing else. I’d be curious to see how the 2.6 track is, but if I could go back, I’d buy a 19 hardcore. Might be doing a elevate twin rail kit and filling in the rest of the parts to do a twin rail swap.
I agree 100%
Love my Alpha.... non deep snow is definitely twin rail territory...
I ride with Polaris every weekend and snow conditions make or break the Alpha's performance where the Polaris isn't really affected.
I'm thinking of keeping the Alpha for deep snow days and picking up a Khaos for all days that aren't fresh and deep.

Sent it

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Frostbite,
Not to sound like a jerk but you have to quit reading all this stuff and go rent or ride each and find out for yourself. It is like you are going into overload with all the info and changing you decision back and forth. I get that you want to get all the info you can. Show up Tuesday and you can ride an alpha, 163 kaos or a skidoo turbo and decide for yourself.
Here are the facts
Alpha is the most fun. Quickest handling. Easiest to put on edge and keep there imo. More traction than any of them. Sidehills better than any of them in deep snow. Will do things in reverse that the others won't do. The 165 will back out of a stuck where the others are pointless to try.
Alpha downfalls
Hardest steering, hardest starting, worst trail ride. They bog in really deep powder. They don't like slick stuff. Everyone makes it sound like you can't ride it. That is not true need to ride different. I can whip mine around a tree where my buddy can't on his 163 kaos. You have to know the right amount of brap or it will keep coming and lay you out. The other thing people don't talk about is whether you ride in that stuff or not. I don't play on the same stuff with anything if slick. If i can't dig a spindle in i am not playing on some stupidly steep sidehill. My 154 alpha actually spanked my buddy's kaos in some crusty snow. If you broke through it was sugar underneath. It was a hair slick on top. The other thing is none of the really like slick stuff. The alpha and doo are just worse.
The kaos is just an awesome sled. I would have one if i didn't love my alpha so much. My wife is getting one. Only gripe i have is the seat is slick and too high. Not a huge fan of their hot grips when compared to everyone else. It isn't as easy or effortless as the alpha but is still easy. It will go acrossed a sidehill that the alpha will slide out on. I am comparing my 154 to his 163 so i know the 165 would tighten the gap. Had a 165 last year. My bet is that most people don't play on stuff where the alpha slides out when rode right. It is a lot steeper than you think. It is not like you are swapping ends all day. The kaos is a better all around sled with virtually no downfalls. The alpha has some downfalls but when its fun it is insanely fun. You have to decide what you're using it for. I am still willing to forgive it for some stuff due to how fun it is.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Frostbite,
Not to sound like a jerk but you have to quit reading all this stuff and go rent or ride each and find out for yourself. It is like you are going into overload with all the info and changing you decision back and forth. I get that you want to get all the info you can. Show up Tuesday and you can ride an alpha, 163 kaos or a skidoo turbo and decide for yourself.
Here are the facts
Alpha is the most fun. Quickest handling. Easiest to put on edge and keep there imo. More traction than any of them. Sidehills better than any of them in deep snow. Will do things in reverse that the others won't do. The 165 will back out of a stuck where the others are pointless to try.
Alpha downfalls
Hardest steering, hardest starting, worst trail ride. They bog in really deep powder. They don't like slick stuff. Everyone makes it sound like you can't ride it. That is not true need to ride different. I can whip mine around a tree where my buddy can't on his 163 kaos. You have to know the right amount of brap or it will keep coming and lay you out. The other thing people don't talk about is whether you ride in that stuff or not. I don't play on the same stuff with anything if slick. If i can't dig a spindle in i am not playing on some stupidly steep sidehill. My 154 alpha actually spanked my buddy's kaos in some crusty snow. If you broke through it was sugar underneath. It was a hair slick on top. The other thing is none of the really like slick stuff. The alpha and doo are just worse.
The kaos is just an awesome sled. I would have one if i didn't love my alpha so much. My wife is getting one. Only gripe i have is the seat is slick and too high. Not a huge fan of their hot grips when compared to everyone else. It isn't as easy or effortless as the alpha but is still easy. It will go acrossed a sidehill that the alpha will slide out on. I am comparing my 154 to his 163 so i know the 165 would tighten the gap. Had a 165 last year. My bet is that most people don't play on stuff where the alpha slides out when rode right. It is a lot steeper than you think. It is not like you are swapping ends all day. The kaos is a better all around sled with virtually no downfalls. The alpha has some downfalls but when its fun it is insanely fun. You have to decide what you're using it for. I am still willing to forgive it for some stuff due to how fun it is.

He has about twenty threads started on the same subject lol

Premium Features