• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha elevate reviews

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I finally put front arm back in the stock hole, it climbs noticably better and doesnt trench as bad, but did take some of the fun factor away. I have exit shocks

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Finally getting to where i like mine. More of a getting used to it thing. It is really quick. Completely weeds out the diveyness. You have to be on your a game with the 154 elevated and in full narrow but it is flat out fun. It needs the right input and the right brap or it will hang you out before you know it. In a way you need throttle control and in a way it is out the door because you need more track speed to keep up with the longer sleds. It is really unforgiving in deeper snow when climbing. All or nothing. If you are scratching you are flipping. Especially in deep snow when the flap is straight out. That is part of the attraction of the 154. Even though it's easier it is harder. If not in for that, go 165. I am not a fan of sucking the front up. That is part of what keeps you on the hill. Change it in the rear.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I have one ride on the kit in hard spring snow. It seemed like it held an edge better than without it but my day was cut short due to have the rear arm bolts shearing off the rail.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Got my first ride on the Elevate last Saturday May 23. I only installed the spindles on my Alpha and left the skid in the stock front hole and didn't change the limiter strap. I had already dropped the rear skid mount to the bottom hole. Installed like this the the track sat flat on my concrete garage floor whereas before it always had a bit of light under the rear paddles. Skis are centered on the spindles.
On the trail it felt a bit more unstable in the corners which is a complaint I have about the stock Alpha too. That said I'm tall and wear a heavy pack so I'm top heavy. The snow was hero snow with 6-8" of wet fresh snow on top so not ideal conditions but more than good enough to play in. I didn't find it rowdy at all and would actually prefer a bit more ski lift for hooning and re-entries so I may raise the rear of the skid again for spring conditions. On edge it felt much more predictable like the balance point was a lot wider. Previously I had some issues whipping tight turns with my feet on both boards. I would need to go wrong foot forward and plant my inside foot as a pivot/rudder. Now it is more predictable and not as inclined to lay right over where I would lose control. On sidehills it felt more predictable too. I could get it right to the edge of washing out and hold it there. J-turns are easier both uphill and downhill and it is more forgiving on the downhill carve as well when you push it to the edge it doesn't want to plant the rudder ski and pivot around it as much. The elevator seemed a bit tougher as you need to pull it over harder to get the inslope ski out but that could have been the heavy snow on top as well. Climbing it was super planted and predictable on the one chute I pulled.
I'm a big fan so far but can't wait to try it on a powder day next winter.

F
Jan 28, 2020
For those who have been curious about the wheelies on the '20 hardcores we are testing some new spring/shock packages shortly and will have a list of updated recommendations. We have experienced this models challanges firsthand and want to provide customers of all models with a dialed in setup.

For those curious about tightening the limiter strap. Our Included Alpha elevate strap has 2 positions, extended (elevate) or the OEM hole configs. so if you put it in the "tighter" position it has no less travel then stock so should not lead to any increased rail force/damage.

Any word on your updated recommendations or spring/shock packages?

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Any word on your updated recommendations or spring/shock packages?

IceAge gave the shock spring recommendations in the above thread last spring. "AC PN: 2704-010 210# rear spring. (stock is 175#)"

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT

IceAge gave the shock spring recommendations in the above thread last spring. "AC PN: 2704-010 210# rear spring. (stock is 175#)"

Thanks for linking that in for us..
On our side by side testing we were BLOWN away by what the spring change did for us. The was absolutely making or breaking the performance of the 20 hardcore in side by side testing. Regardless of having an elevate or not we think this is a key upgrade anyone can make to their sled.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just got my front track shock from Nextech in Canada.
They re-valved the shock and based on my rider weight, they installed a Fox 125 lb. spring to replace the stock 110 lb. spring.
They said the re-valve will improve the shock performance as much or more than the spring change.
I can't wait to give it a try.
They also said the rear track shock works fairly well as is and if I understood correctly, they said if they re-valved it I would loose the lockout function.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I just got my front track shock from Nextech in Canada.
They re-valved the shock and based on my rider weight, they installed a Fox 125 lb. spring to replace the stock 110 lb. spring.
They said the re-valve will improve the shock performance as much or more than the spring change.
I can't wait to give it a try.
They also said the rear track shock works fairly well as is and if I understood correctly, they said if they re-valved it I would loose the lockout function.
Lockout is awesome in deep snow.
Just before forward motion stops, it will still wheelie but u just turn it a bit and ur riding a very controlled wheelie across the hill at a slight uphill angle. Feels like its never gonna get stuck.

Sent it

F
Jan 28, 2020

Thanks for linking that in for us..
On our side by side testing we were BLOWN away by what the spring change did for us. The was absolutely making or breaking the performance of the 20 hardcore in side by side testing. Regardless of having an elevate or not we think this is a key upgrade anyone can make to their sled.

Awesome, thank you! I hadn’t seen the other thread.

I’ve just ordered one, excited to see the change it makes this year.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Okay, I have been reading this thread and I am about to install my Elevate kit on my 2020 Hardcore 165. I had the front track shock re-valved and re-sprung with a Fox 125# spring by Nextech this summer. Even though I removed both shocks to send to Nextech, they convinced me not to ship the rear shock and said that shock is pretty decent and that I should at least give it try first. Maybe I should go ahead and order the 210# rear track spring? I have already added the new longer limit strap and the thicker bump stop.

Now the question is, should I drop both the front and rear suspension mount bolts to the lower holes? I ask because I have been reading how several on here seem much happier with the front axle bolts back in the stock holes.

It sounds like pretty much everyone has dropped to the lower hole on the rear drop brackets, right?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Take some tools with u and try both front positions up on the mountain.
You will need to adjust the track tension when u move the front of the skid.

Sent it

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I rode mine in the lowered positions as recommended and thought it felt good off trail. I did change the rear spring out which was even better then cranking up the preload on the stock spring. In stock form last year it was unridable.

5EDDDA17-6E4B-42FA-8ED7-C794F49F7265.jpg

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Okay, I have been reading this thread and I am about to install my Elevate kit on my 2020 Hardcore 165. I had the front track shock re-valved and re-sprung with a Fox 125# spring by Nextech this summer. Even though I removed both shocks to send to Nextech, they convinced me not to ship the rear shock and said that shock is pretty decent and that I should at least give it try first. Maybe I should go ahead and order the 210# rear track spring? I have already added the new longer limit strap and the thicker bump stop.

Now the question is, should I drop both the front and rear suspension mount bolts to the lower holes? I ask because I have been reading how several on here seem much happier with the front axle bolts back in the stock holes.

It sounds like pretty much everyone has dropped to the lower hole on the rear drop brackets, right?
Where did you get the longer limiter strap? Or is it part of the Elevate kit?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
BadV2, yes I understand that but, as a reference, once that spring is compressed an inch, how many threads do you show below the lock ring furthest from the spring?

Premium Features