• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 153 Trenching

A
Nov 9, 2016
Just trying to look for things to check on suspension wise to keep the sled from losing speed and trenching, basically cannot go up even a slight incline without decent momentum or it will just trench and end up vertical. Full throttle is just wheeling up the hill losing speed. I've adjusted the shock pressures up and down, to no avail. Have not touched limiter strap. Maybe I'm just not getting pressure combination correct. All factory besides gripper skis and can, 255 w/o gear. My 15 153 w/ 2.25 currently climbs better than my alpha. It gets stuck in rediculous areas, basically cannot stop anywhere on a slight incline. Any input appreciated. Sled is 100% fun otherwise

Edit 154 not 153, dont know how to change title.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Softer front track shock and firmer rear track shock tends to help with deep snow performance and wheelying. I'm 260lbs without gear and I run my 165" with 50psi in the FTS and 165 in the rear. It's good overall, but in the right conditions it'll still pull the skis up when climbing. Even with the rear shock on lock out I've had it pack the skis pretty high up the hill. These tracks hook up pretty good, but I have noticed some trenching.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
For the most part the rule of thumb seems to be lighter front track shock and stiffer rear, if your on the air shock have you tried locking it out on the rear to see what happens? My 165 is so playful and will lift the front end so easy that I wouldn't want a shorter track, it could very well be a track length thing playing a role in it. The alpha track seems to grip so well, then once your front ends lifting your loosing track on the snow which makes the rear drop more and deeper down and there's your wheelie trenching machine lol :/

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Alpha track does not trench, the best track I have ever ridden, something is wrong, what is your clutch engagement?

Wheelie yes, stuck no

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It is the nature of the beast. There are some suspension adjustments that can be made but i don't want a heavier steering front. When you combine the 154 with the traction and 7 inch bite it is what it is. Even the 165 alpha will trench a little but has more traction than anything. That is the difference, on the polaris, between the series 7, 3 inch and the 2.6. The 2.6 spins more but crawls up on snow and goes. The 3 inch will dig and trench. No track is good for every scenario. Then you couple it to a 154 and an unforgiving sled. In a way the 154 is the easiest to ride and in a way it's harder. It can't be rode as lazy. Depending on terrain and snow, you have to be on your a game. Sucking up the limiter sucks imo. You lose travel and the track hanging down is what is holding you on the hill. I would stiffen the rts and loosen the fts a little. The 154 has to be ridden faster. If you are not willing to do that, i would recommend going to a 165. It is still more playful than the other sleds. It's more forgiving and will go on steeper stuff. I had one lat year. Mutes most of your woes out. Will trench a touch but waaay more forgiving.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Mine 19 154 Alpha is the same way wheelie monster that likes to trench. Just installed a Zbroz FTS that is sprung and valved for my weight hopefully I can run it softer that the float and it helps

A
Nov 9, 2016
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try messing with the shocks again and make sure I'm not trying to stop on any inclines, lol. Clutching is all factory, feels great to me. Engages way lower than the older M sleds. Only about 500 miles on it so far.

Ol* Geezer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
If you are having a problem with wheeling with the 154 try moving the rear mount of the rear suspension to the lower hole and try that.

A
Nov 9, 2016
Is there any cons to lowering the mounting hole?

Update. Checked pressures today, fts was around 67, rear was funky. I hooked it up and showed no pressure, gave a few pumps (like 5) and shot up to about 100 or so. I'm thinking the guage was frozen, (checked this one first) but also pumped it up to about 130 or so. We will see how it rides next weekend.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
First ride on my Elevated Alpha and surprisingly the wheeling has calmed down. That could be from the Zbroz FTS working better than the stock float. I did have the pressure set at 65psi on my float FTS due to being paranoid about breaking the front of the rail. Steering feels a little heavier but some tweaks to the front shocks and maybe a little more preload in the FTS she will be dialed

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Is there any cons to lowering the mounting hole?

Update. Checked pressures today, fts was around 67, rear was funky. I hooked it up and showed no pressure, gave a few pumps (like 5) and shot up to about 100 or so. I'm thinking the guage was frozen, (checked this one first) but also pumped it up to about 130 or so. We will see how it rides next weekend.
Maybe even take it to 145 or higher. Maybe 165 for ur weight?
130 is pretty low unless ur 150lbs.

Sent it

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
setting pressure in warm garage and then taking the sled to the mountain will affect the pressure as well

A
Nov 9, 2016
Ok update, raised the track up, pumped rear shock to 165, moved rear bolt hole down. But most importantly the track had like 5" of sag! I'm honestly surprised it hasn't jumped ship yet. It was around 2" when I purchased it, didnt realize it would loosen up that much. Tightened it to about 1.5-1.25 per what I've read on here and see if that helps. Will update back after this weekend.

Premium Features