• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Allen’s Tech Tips, “Calculating Gearing”

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
B

Bigred1

Oct 26, 2013
Has anyone used an extra link and master link? is it way to long to get adjusted?
I got a 14/17 combo to work with out a half link on a kx500 but the chain is pretty close to the sled frame. seems like a whole link and master link would enable you to get it away from the frame.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
low and hi

tried gearing on my sno bike both low side and high side.

for sure on my wide ratio wr, the 16 +" of roll out is way more fun to ride, really works great for 3rd gear big long side hills etc, and allows you to run a lot of 3rd in semi-tight stuff where with a little throttle you'll have good track speed.

some real tight tress today in 2' of fresh I did a fair amount of 1st gear, the high gearing gives you some track speed even in first. with 13-14" of track roll out 1st gear is a throw away on my WR.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
I am going to try the stock setup 13/17/17/20 it was way to low geared on my 530excr that's how I ended up with the 12/17/20/17 it runs great all mountain and ran nice with the old kit but now it rubs the track. I ran the 14/16/17/20 on my 530 and it was ok but not perfect. I think it is just this goofy wide ratio tranny on the EXC that I'm dealing with. I will probably put a 14/17/17/20 after another ride or 2 it should fit. I do like blue might have to go track one down :peace: Thanks

Ok Allen I went back to stock gearing and it is just to low geared 1st and 2nd are basically null and void, I called today to see if I could get a couple sprockets to try out some other setups but you only have the 16,17,20 but I am looking for an 18 and a 19 for the chain case his would give us some good options to play with I think for sure. Any chance we could make this happen :face-icon-small-hap. I think this would be in every ones best interest if you could make this happen. Thanks :help:

Happy New Year :tea:

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
MtnDoo are you saying 13/17/20/17 ? Thats like .042 final. Thats pretty tall no ?

LOL, no, that might be good for a speed run across a lake! Sorry,.. The sweet spot is a "13" counter to a stock 17, then the factory 17/20 in the chain case. Very nice gearing. A little low for the dual sport bikes though. With Ryanexcr's quote, I was referring to him for ditching the 12T counter. That is too small, hits the track and low geared. It as an error in the instructions. Being corrected to a 13T. Thanks for the correction. :)

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The roll out I have settled on for the SXF450 is 13 3/4. First is usable, second is your boondocking gear, third is fast in easier terrain, and fifth is good road speed.

I will post roll out for the 300SX also.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Ryan, try a 13/16, then the stock 17/20. That should get you close.

I have tried this and it is ok but still not what I was looking for kind of a pain in the rear to do this setup was wanting something that was a little faster to change out. I am still wanting a 19/18 in the chain case for my 500 exc from the gear calculator that will give me some really good options.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Finally a setup that works well with the six speed tranny

Ok I have purchased and installed an 18T and 19T for the chain case from 9Miler and for the KTM 500 exc this is a very large improvement over the stock gearing. First gear is actually some what usable and it is a little taller geared throughout. very easy to swap over with this setup, uses same chain length and tensioner also you do not have to remove any of the case mounting stand offs. just swap out the sprockets and tighten chain like normal.
13-17-18-19

:clap2:

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Ok I have purchased and installed an 18T and 19T for the chain case from 9Miler and for the KTM 500 exc this is a very large improvement over the stock gearing. First gear is actually some what usable and it is a little taller geared throughout. very easy to swap over with this setup, uses same chain length and tensioner also you do not have to remove any of the case mounting stand offs. just swap out the sprockets and tighten chain like normal.
13-17-18-19

:clap2:

I also think this would be a great setup for the Husaberg 501

whistlerhawk

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2008
Whistler BC
I have the KTM 500 exc with the LT. The best gear combo for my snow is 13-17, 16-17. I have a tiny tach so i used that to get the right gearing in the peak power zone. 3rd gear is my terminal powder hill climbing gear

S

summithd

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
www.summithdfilms.com
I have the KTM 500 exc with the LT. The best gear combo for my snow is 13-17, 16-17. I have a tiny tach so i used that to get the right gearing in the peak power zone. 3rd gear is my terminal powder hill climbing gear

With the 16-17 gearing do you have to do more than just change the sprockets? I'm trying to find the best combo for the 501. Thanks

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State

The setup I'm using 13-17-18-19 is almost exactly the same as the one you are using according to the gearing calculator that is on page 1 of this thread. With mine you only swap out sprockets and no cutting chains or removing other parts.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Just posting so it gets back on top, some people can't seem to figure out the search option even thou that does not work well.

Premium Features