• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alaska Snowmobiling - Wheres the best

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Im taking a job in Alaska with a 2 week rotating schedule. I live in Wyoming at the moment but will be making the move North in the next year. My original thought was the Wasilla Area. The snowmobiling im used to and enjoy most is DEEP powder in trees. Lots of boondocking, sidehills, technical situations. I don't have to have steep long chutes to climb. But I don't want to just ride in open meadows on flat ground either. So im asking where are some other areas to check out. I also enjoy hunting, fishing, camping, riding the rzr. But my wife and kids also enjoy movies, shopping, pools, more city type stuff. Town I live in now is 500 people about 15 min from a town with 15000. So we are not big city people either.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
You'll do well in Wasilla, has most of the modern amenities your family will want, but you wont be able to ride out of your house like you can farther north in the Willow area. Hatcher Pass, and Petersville are great riding areas within an hour of the Palmer/Wasilla area. Also if your gonna ride AK you'll need to join back country rebels. It's the go to sled forum in Alaska. Have fun, funny I just moved to the Rocky's to try something new...

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I am a fan of Seward Mountains. They are more raw than the Northern areas of AK, but have more potential of coastal weather storms which can be good, but also bad with rain. I live down in Soldotna area which offers a lot with the small town feel. Wasilla area is nice since you are close to Anchorage and more centrally located, but I still prefer Soldotna area. Anyways when you get to AK, and want someone to ride with, hit me up!
My secret area:)

H
Nov 21, 2012
I am a fan of Seward Mountains. They are more raw than the Northern areas of AK, but have more potential of coastal weather storms which can be good, but also bad with rain. I live down in Soldotna area which offers a lot with the small town feel. Wasilla area is nice since you are close to Anchorage and more centrally located, but I still prefer Soldotna area. Anyways when you get to AK, and want someone to ride with, hit me up!
My secret area:)

Wish I was still there, just moved back to Vermont with the Air Force. Where was that? Wish I could of rode there, people and their "secret spots" lol

Premium Features