• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket Shocks

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I'm surprised nobody is saying Burandts Fox Floats. Everyone who has ridden my sleds has went and dropped the 2800 for them. Just like posted above all these other ones are too hard to set up. You just put in Burandts pressure and boom you have one of, if not the best set up available. Spring shocks are so 1990s. Last time I rode with Cody Monroe he broke his spring in a ski shock. I have yet to ever see a air shock fail.
I ran the burandt rc3 airs shocks for a season. The biggest thing I liked was the 3 position clicker. I kept the rear skid in clicker 1 for most riding and made it a fun playful sled. If I needed to keep the skis down to climb I could easily click to 3. I did have the coating on the shocks get destroyed and had to be replaced after one season. Rocks and debris in the skid smoked them from spring riding. Not an issue with coil overs.

I’ve seen both air and coil shocks fail. Cody runs Carl’s valved mono tubes on his booster and Carl’s valved velocities on his 900. Not sure which one he was on when you hired him to guide you... Those springs seam like they would break easier than most aftermarket though.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Believe me, we ALL know you chit $100 bills, but there are way better things to spend $2800 on than mediocre shocks. They work ok. But are just that, ok. Buddy and I hopped back and forth between his Axys with factory clickers and my sled with Burandt Floats. We both agreed almost no difference in ride quality with the exception of his FTS bottoming out on big whoops. He has never touched it from the factory. Likely just needs to be tightened.

I’m 170lbs and ran all shocks within 5lbs of Burandts recommendations. Meh. I sold them.

Seen many Floats fail. Seals must go out? Mostly on M series. They are also a PITA to get the pressures exactly where you want them beings they dump air when you remove the pump.
I guess it's personal preference. I have yet to get on a sled with factory shocks and thought it was stiff enough. I have tried a sled with Carl's revalve and didn't care for it. Cody is obviously a special circumstance because he sends it off everything and is constantly doing bow ties. I just think the failure rate isn't any different from air to coil. I haven't had a person try one of my sleds and not like it better than what they had.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If you like stiff try those new QS3 or whatever with electronic control. Those are like 2x4’s.

R
Oct 9, 2019
Just wondering how you set up your Raptor s? Spring length and clickers settings.
Just bought a set and trying to get some options.
Thanks
Just installed my raptor shocks (not the kinetic ones). I am running the clickers on 12 when I am riding a lot of trail and turning the clickers down to 7 or 8 when off trail. I have not changed the preload spring from the preset 1/4 in setting.

MTHAYN

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 14, 2017
Helper, UT
Andy at Gas shock repair does a great job at revalve and rebuild, even shortening shocks. It was a noticeable difference for the better and at less than half the cost of Carls. I'd try that before dumping a bunch of cash into shocks your not sure about..
His website is www.gasshockrepair.com and his cell phone number is 208-716-0475. Had to give him a shout out because he's just a great guy to deal with. Thank you Andy!

C
Mar 2, 2020
Believe me, we ALL know you chit $100 bills, but there are way better things to spend $2800 on than mediocre shocks. They work ok. But are just that, ok. Buddy and I hopped back and forth between his Axys with factory clickers and my sled with Burandt Floats. We both agreed almost no difference in ride quality with the exception of his FTS bottoming out on big whoops. He has never touched it from the factory. Likely just needs to be tightened.

I’m 170lbs and ran all shocks within 5lbs of Burandts recommendations. Meh. I sold them.

Seen many Floats fail. Seals must go out? Mostly on M series. They are also a PITA to get the pressures exactly where you want them beings they dump air when you remove the pump.
What are you running now? I’ve got bone stock walker evens on my 14 pro and looking for suggestions? Thanks

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
I'm currently on Raptor Kinetics. They are definitely a big upgrade over the stock walker clickers that came on my sled. That being said, they are also a TON of cash. This is my second season on them and they have worked great. I don't do huge jumps, but I do some smaller stuff and they take everything I throw at them. They made the sled a lot easier for me to get on edge and side hill.

I have ridden FOX qs3s on XM doo a few years ago. They were good too. Only rode 1 day on them, and this sled only had them on the front.

The next best shock I've ridden is the Walker needle shocks that came stock on a Switchback Assualt 144. The Rear track shock was ok but it did bottom to easily. The Front ski shocks were awesome.

If I had to do it over, I'd strongly consider re valving my stock clicker walkers from Carls cycle. Many people on snowest seem to speak highly of them. However, I haven't ever used them.

OR I'd look for stock Walker Velocity shocks. The Tech involved with these shocks is similar with Raptor Kinetics, being they are a Internal by pass shock. Just like Trophy trucks use.

Have to agree. Raptors make such a difference compared to stock. I was naive and bought my 19 with clickers. Never again. They are brutal. Ordered my 21 with the pogo sticks and it’s getting Raptors all the way around. I’m sure that there are other aftermarket that are similar but the folks at Raptor have treated me extremely well.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
What are you running now? I’ve got bone stock walker evens on my 14 pro and looking for suggestions? Thanks
I would recommend sending them to Carls Cycle for their revalve. With out a doubt the best $500ish dollars I have ever spent on a sled.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I’ve run exits, most floats aside from the newest Burandt ones (evol r, evol x, evol 3), stock, stock with TRS valving, and now the walker velocities. I’ve seen plenty of floats fail... Best bang for the buck is stock with TRS valving (message tony on here), but I really am liking the velocities just wishing they were a little stiffer on the high speed dampening. If you’re into jumping etc talk to Tony to let him know so he can adjust accordingly.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I’ve run exits, most floats aside from the newest Burandt ones (evol r, evol x, evol 3), stock, stock with TRS valving, and now the walker velocities. I’ve seen plenty of floats fail... Best bang for the buck is stock with TRS valving (message tony on here), but I really am liking the velocities just wishing they were a little stiffer on the high speed dampening. If you’re into jumping etc talk to Tony to let him know so he can adjust accordingly.
Bumping this back up. I'm a bit of a rookie in suspension tuning.

I have a 2018 rmk 163 (1055 miles) running factory tubes all around. Up until this week I could always blaze through the trail whoops at 30-40 mph and kinda enjoyed it.

This weekend in the Snowies, it felt like my back was gonna snap and I was getting tossed all over the place. I don't see anything bent/broken and the sled stance looks normal sitting in the shop.

What happened or what do I need?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Bumping this back up. I'm a bit of a rookie in suspension tuning.

I have a 2018 rmk 163 (1055 miles) running factory tubes all around. Up until this week I could always blaze through the trail whoops at 30-40 mph and kinda enjoyed it.

This weekend in the Snowies, it felt like my back was gonna snap and I was getting tossed all over the place. I don't see anything bent/broken and the sled stance looks normal sitting in the shop.

What happened or what do I need?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Fresh oil and nitrogen charge.
GSR in Idaho can get you turned around for less than most places.

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Thinking about putting velocity shocks on my snow check. I know there better than the mono tube, but how much better straight from the factory are they. I had after market shocks on my last one"exit" and loved them and I haven't had factory shocks/Mono tube, or clickers on my sled in a long time, so im curious how good they are know.
Thanks

Premium Features