• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket Shocks

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
Hey all,

Looking to upgrade shocks on the powder pony. (2018 axys 800 163)

Looking to do shocks all around. Last trip I blew out the rear track shock and figured this might be a good time to treat myself to a better ride. Looking at raptor kinetic series or elka stage 4 or possibly something else?? I wld like a coil over shock, I don't do big drops or jump. Just typical mountain riding. What everyones thoughts. Looking for first hand experience to help persuade me in the correct direction.

TIA,

xc_rider08

pics from the last trip to BC for attention

elkford1.jpg elkford3.jpg elkford6.jpg elkford7.jpg

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I really like the zbros shocks. I think they’re all pretty good seems like a lot of the top riders who are not paid by Fox don’t care much for the air shocks. Carl’s cycle does a good job with revalve too still no comparison to ohlin zbros, raptor etc.

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
I just picked up full set of Exit shocks and I noticed a big difference from factory. I would do it again without hesitation. I was going to get Raptor shocks, but I got a good deal on the Exit shocks. You can't go wrong withe Raptor, Elka, or Exit.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Carls does a good job with valving as well. I’ve had Raptors (not kinetics) and the latest Burandt Floats. I prefered the Carls valving over both.

I have no experience with TRS valving but I’ll probably go that route next year. A little cheaper than Carls.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I’d give a good look at the revalve. It’s a big difference in performance and will last much longer than stock before needing rebuilt. I rode a sled with Carl’s valved mono tubes that felt pretty dang good! I’m sure TRS has his valving dialed too.

Keep in mind if you buy something like the raptor kinetics they have clicker adjustments for both compression and rebound. Between these two adjustments and the spring preload there’s a lot to get right or screw up.

I’ve ran fox rc3 coils and air, exits, and both raptor and raptor kinetics. The standard raptors are my first choice if budget isn’t a factor. I’ve also been very impressed with the walker evans velocity shocks. If you can find some take offs of those.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I'm currently on Raptor Kinetics. They are definitely a big upgrade over the stock walker clickers that came on my sled. That being said, they are also a TON of cash. This is my second season on them and they have worked great. I don't do huge jumps, but I do some smaller stuff and they take everything I throw at them. They made the sled a lot easier for me to get on edge and side hill.

I have ridden FOX qs3s on XM doo a few years ago. They were good too. Only rode 1 day on them, and this sled only had them on the front.

The next best shock I've ridden is the Walker needle shocks that came stock on a Switchback Assualt 144. The Rear track shock was ok but it did bottom to easily. The Front ski shocks were awesome.

If I had to do it over, I'd strongly consider re valving my stock clicker walkers from Carls cycle. Many people on snowest seem to speak highly of them. However, I haven't ever used them.

OR I'd look for stock Walker Velocity shocks. The Tech involved with these shocks is similar with Raptor Kinetics, being they are a Internal by pass shock. Just like Trophy trucks use.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The velocity shocks off a khaos on my 2016 continue to impress me.

Smooth and the lo speed compression adjustment hold the wheelie factor really well at 5#.

(Fox internals and good oil from carl’s cycle center)

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
thank u all for the responses.. so many choices. I will be looking into all options. hadn't really thought about the revalving, but definitely an option if money comes into a factor.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
thank u all for the responses.. so many choices. I will be looking into all options. hadn't really thought about the revalving, but definitely an option if money comes into a factor.
Money not considered I really believe my revalved monotubes rode better than the high end aftermarket shocks I’ve had.

QUOTE="b-litt, post: 4353023, member: 117305"]
I’d give a good look at the revalve. It’s a big difference in performance and will last much longer than stock before needing rebuilt. I rode a sled with Carl’s valved mono tubes that felt pretty dang good! I’m sure TRS has his valving dialed too.

Keep in mind if you buy something like the raptor kinetics they have clicker adjustments for both compression and rebound. Between these two adjustments and the spring preload there’s a lot to get right or screw up.

I’ve ran fox rc3 coils and air, exits, and both raptor and raptor kinetics. The standard raptors are my first choice if budget isn’t a factor. I’ve also been very impressed with the walker evans velocity shocks. If you can find some take offs of those.
[/QUOTE]
Just wondering what we’re your spring length and settings on your Raptors? Just bought a set and trying to get some options on setup.
Thanks

Carls does a good job with valving as well. I’ve had Raptors (not kinetics) and the latest Burandt Floats. I prefered the Carls valving over both.

I have no experience with TRS valving but I’ll probably go that route next year. A little cheaper than Carls.
Just wondering how you set up your Raptor s? Spring length and clickers settings.
Just bought a set and trying to get some options.
Thanks

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Another vote for Raptors!!! Not only are they an awesome shock but Jake takes care of his customers!

I have run them on the last three sleds and they have been great!!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I'm surprised nobody is saying Burandts Fox Floats. Everyone who has ridden my sleds has went and dropped the 2800 for them. Just like posted above all these other ones are too hard to set up. You just put in Burandts pressure and boom you have one of, if not the best set up available. Spring shocks are so 1990s. Last time I rode with Cody Monroe he broke his spring in a ski shock. I have yet to ever see a air shock fail.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Most people do not understand used properly Floats are high maintenance. Where do you check your pressures? Do you do it daily? As temperature and elevation change so does the pressure. Air shocks fail plenty.

Burandts pressures are a starting point, and his pressures are fairly specific to him. I can tell you those pressures were close but do not necessarily work for everyone.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I'm surprised nobody is saying Burandts Fox Floats. Everyone who has ridden my sleds has went and dropped the 2800 for them. Just like posted above all these other ones are too hard to set up. You just put in Burandts pressure and boom you have one of, if not the best set up available. Spring shocks are so 1990s. Last time I rode with Cody Monroe he broke his spring in a ski shock. I have yet to ever see a air shock fail.
Believe me, we ALL know you chit $100 bills, but there are way better things to spend $2800 on than mediocre shocks. They work ok. But are just that, ok. Buddy and I hopped back and forth between his Axys with factory clickers and my sled with Burandt Floats. We both agreed almost no difference in ride quality with the exception of his FTS bottoming out on big whoops. He has never touched it from the factory. Likely just needs to be tightened.

I’m 170lbs and ran all shocks within 5lbs of Burandts recommendations. Meh. I sold them.

Seen many Floats fail. Seals must go out? Mostly on M series. They are also a PITA to get the pressures exactly where you want them beings they dump air when you remove the pump.

Premium Features