• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket flash or not?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
A 12 pound tire or a 50 pound track? Go push your sled around the parking and see which has less load. A etec outboard doesnt turn over 6k rpm.
Riding sand is the harshest environment I've run anything in. If a modern bike engine will live at 50-60:1 there a modern sled engine should too. FWIW a guy that was summer testing a turbo kit on a sled at St. Anthony said the sand load felt comparable to 18" of snow. I do think extra oil film would help protect against snow ingestion that the Ascender intake has been know to let pass.

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
I do think extra oil film would help protect against snow ingestion that the Ascender intake has been know to let pass.
it's not just the ascender, all procross/proclimb chassis let it pass. it has only now become a point of emphasis because the additional oil the suzuki motor would use is no longer masking the problem.

i'd suggest everyone owning a procross/proclimb remove their hood and use a flashlight to identify where it should be sealed and start there. then, if you want to be extra safe and you own a ctec2 engine, get a tune with increased oil delivery.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I understand most are concerned with oil consumption and that it is too low. But you also need to understand the advantage of the electric pump and that is not "how much" but "WHEN" the oil is used. A 2 stroke needs "next to nothing" for oil at idle to 5000 rpms, you could runs all day at 200:1 ratio. This can easily be seen when starting your sled on a cold morning and seeing all the grey smoke pour out of it. However at WOT the demand is very high, and a far greater amount of lubrication is needed, say 25:1 ratio. This is where the electronic oil pumps shine. They pump significantly less in the lower RPM range but provide lubrication needed in the higher demand. This fine tuning was not available with the mechanical pumps, which were simply an output of machine RPM vs. throttle position.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It is going to open up so many doors for mods. Have you ever wondered how a turbo can add 60 HP and 50% more fuel, but still be using the same amount of oil? This will give us control over all of these vital parameters. It is a modification. It will void your warranty because you are altering the stock sled. Read the warranty that comes with you sled for clarification. It is going to be AWESOME!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I understand the idea behind the oiling ans how great the electronic pump is, but they are also leaner on oil overall due to emissions, yes they don't need to be as rich on oil as the old sleds ran but I'm sure you'll gain a good bit more engine life if you could turn it up even 20% in The lower rpm and perhaps a tad up top too, , I'm unsure what the target ratio is at wide open.

Joey would you mind posting a pic of the oiling graph off a stock ctec? In the video showing off the custom tuning ability I believe you mention it's a Polaris map shown, maybe we are all worried about nothing anyways, if the map shown for Polaris being stock in the video the ratio looks pretty good to me lol.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Its also good luck if you wear your 94 purple and green poofy marshmallow coat with the checkered flag on the back when dumping oil into your 2019 M.
comb a little into that sweet mustache too...... smooth. a little extra extra insurance.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Ever use water on a BBQ grille brush to steam off the old grease on your grille? Works great! More grease takes a little more water and a little more heat.

That’s exactly what happens when water hits piston in your sled. Snow flashes off to steam in crankcase then steam cleans the oil off pistons and crank during transfer. The crank can take some of this abuse. No oil on piston or cylinder wall (even a patch) will cause metal to metal friction, extreme heat, melt the piston, then seize.

Lean oil ratio is great for dyno testing and EPA certification. But in real use environment. More oil is better.

50:1 final ratio usage has worked well in 6-800cc engines for a long long time.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
So talked to my local dealer today about flashing my 18 mountian cat and tried to find out what exactly the flash does, the service guy thinks it is for longevity of the motor which would make the most sense to me but he didnt know for sure! So my warranty is up in december and I figured I my as well get the flash done because I have been premixing my fuel 1 oz oil per gallon of fuel because i felt my machine sipped oil and it kind of had me worried, maybe the flash will add more oil to the engine? I guess ill find out soon enough!
Oh and he also said in the last 2 years he only had one 18 motor go down and he did say that it happened almost right away so could of been snow injestion!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
So talked to my local dealer today about flashing my 18 mountian cat and tried to find out what exactly the flash does, the service guy thinks it is for longevity of the motor which would make the most sense to me but he didnt know for sure! So my warranty is up in december and I figured I my as well get the flash done because I have been premixing my fuel 1 oz oil per gallon of fuel because i felt my machine sipped oil and it kind of had me worried, maybe the flash will add more oil to the engine? I guess ill find out soon enough!
Oh and he also said in the last 2 years he only had one 18 motor go down and he did say that it happened almost right away so could of been snow injestion!
No change in oil usage with mine.
Still 64:1 avg after flash

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Thanks, good to know, did yours run the same before and after the flash ?
It seems to start easier when warm.
Hot idle is erratic as can be. I hold on to the brake to make sure the sled doesn't take off... lol.
Other than that it seems fine.
Thinking about aftermarket flash to get a better hot idle and more hp...

Sent it

L
Nov 25, 2018
It seems to start easier when warm.
Hot idle is erratic as can be. I hold on to the brake to make sure the sled doesn't take off... lol.
Other than that it seems fine.
Thinking about aftermarket flash to get a better hot idle and more hp...

Sent it

I just had the Silber NA flash done to my 19, along with a clutch kit (Cycles and Sleds) and I can tell there is much more bottom end than before. Can't wait to get it on the snow!

Also cleared up my high, erratic idle from the dealer flash that I had done earlier this year.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I just had the Silber NA flash done to my 19, along with a clutch kit (Cycles and Sleds) and I can tell there is much more bottom end than before. Can't wait to get it on the snow!

Also cleared up my high, erratic idle from the dealer flash that I had done earlier this year.
If u dont mind me asking what was the price to do the silber flash and did u get any detail on what there flash all did ? I might just go this route ?

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
If u dont mind me asking what was the price to do the silber flash and did u get any detail on what there flash all did ? I might just go this route ?
Nevermind I just visited there site and got all the info, Looks like I might just send my ECU to them !

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
bikeman is offering for pretty much the same price as the flash their "torque link" which also will include a flashing of your ecm. You won't have to ship the ecm away. I've been tempted on that one :unsure:

Premium Features