• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket clutch cover reviews

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Please share aftermarket primary clutch cover reviews.

ZRP maintains the triangle shape of the factory cover, made with 7075-t6 aluminum. https://www.zollingerracingproducts.com/arctic-cat/billet-clutch-cover-arctic-cat-2016-team

BMP makes a round cover with very little material, made with 6061-t6 aluminum. https://bikemanperformance.com/snow...-c-tec-2/arctic-cat-cyclone-clutch-cover.html

Thunder products 911 response looks like the heaviest/strongest built cover and a lot more $ and work to install. https://thunderproductsclutching.com/product/911-response-clutch-cover/

Patrick's carbon is cool but $650....

Any other brands.....

Sent it

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The Patrick custom carbon is for the old style clutches pre team clutches.

I just got by zrp clutch cover in the mail today.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Im wondering if a rebalance is needed with these covers, or just say F it and run it. The zrp looks nice. Better grade aluminum over the bmp

joey@bmp

Premium Member
Nov 20, 2010
Oak Park Heights, MN
www.facebook.com
The Bikeman cover is much more than just a piece of shiny aluminum. The Cyclone cover is very effective at cooling the entire clutching system. It works by scooping air and pushing it towards the movable sheave and belt. The resulting temperature drop is about 40-50 degrees. The additional load to move the air is not noticable and consumes less than 1/10th HP. We have done extensive testing to see if rebalancing should be done. We have not noticed any premature wear or fatigue on clutch components, engine or belt due to lack of balance. If you decide you would like to balance there are many shops that do it. The cover itself is well balanced.

The Bikeman cover is stronger and lighter than the factory cover.

Attachments

• 05-cyclone-2.jpg
    05-cyclone-2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 115

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
@joey@bmp , the bushing in the factory cover hits the spider jam nut before full shift of the primary. Does the BMP cover take this into consideration? 0.060" will take care of this shortcoming from the factory.

Sent it

joey@bmp

Premium Member
Nov 20, 2010
Oak Park Heights, MN
www.facebook.com
@joey@bmp , the bushing in the factory cover hits the spider jam nut before full shift of the primary. Does the BMP cover take this into consideration? 0.060" will take care of this shortcoming from the factory.

Sent it

Since the Bikeman cover is built to be a direct replacement the Bikeman Cyclone cover is built to the exact same spec as the original cover as far as stops, spring pocket and tower clearance. The factory stop has an important function to limit up shift. The reason clutches limit upshift is to prevent over shift and over tension of the belt at full shift. Any modifications to the stop would require secondary stop and travel to be verified ok.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Since the Bikeman cover is built to be a direct replacement the Bikeman Cyclone cover is built to the exact same spec as the original cover as far as stops, spring pocket and tower clearance. The factory stop has an important function to limit up shift. The reason clutches limit upshift is to prevent over shift and over tension of the belt at full shift. Any modifications to the stop would require secondary stop and travel to be verified ok.
The difference with this clutch vs others is, the stop is not the sheaves contacting each other but the cover itself has to absorb all of the load from the weights trying to upshift. I am not sure the cover is capable of this load? Yes it only happens at full shift in overdrive which most mtn sleds won't see often. But....... a concern non the less.

Sent it

joey@bmp

Premium Member
Nov 20, 2010
Oak Park Heights, MN
www.facebook.com
The difference with this clutch vs others is, the stop is not the sheaves contacting each other but the cover itself has to absorb all of the load from the weights trying to upshift. I am not sure the cover is capable of this load? Yes it only happens at full shift in overdrive which most mtn sleds won't see often. But....... a concern non the less.

Sent it

Our cover is stronger than the Stock cover. It is designed to handle the forces that are applied.

H
Aug 26, 2010
I had a 911 cover on my clutch and if I remember correctly Smitty's clutch service told me their was a clearance issue when installing the 911 , look into it before you just jump in . I don't bother with it any more , I send my new clutches to Smitty have them balanced and clearanced properly and have zero issue with it on my 901 BB.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
in this pic, u can see where the bushing has been making contact with the spider jam nut. Is this really an issue? Can the cover handle the force applied from a positive stop like this vs the force of compressing the spring?
343136b25374286e4af633623a15217c.jpg

Sent it

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Guaranteed to be detramental if a belt is blown. I don't believe the cover could withstand the force of it slamming against the stationary sheave. I have seen the faces of the sheaves in the bottom when they slam together and it definitely leaves galled material.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've got a Happy Face cover and a Hi Tech Response 911 cover sitting on the shelf.

I'd sell both.

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
I was watching you tube and I seen a team clutch come apart with a custom cover on it . I’m not so sure that is the answer.

Premium Features