• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"After Dark" What's up with that?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I don't get it, but I'll be the first to admit that I think social media pretty much sucks, and I try to avoid most of it.Yeah, I'm a dinosaur, but my privacy is sacrosanct to me, but people today seem to be tripping over each other to give it up. With that being said, I will say I might dip in if and when one comes up with the genius that cooked up the 2020 Diamond loyalty program...

rabidsnowmobiler

Lifetime Membership
May 27, 2011
They're like an hour long, who has time to tune in on that?

Plenty of folks to right now due to quarantines. I've enjoyed the couple that I've been able to watch. And the great part is if you don't like that sort of thing you don't have to watch it :) Thanks for putting them on Dave!

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Lol, what the hell are you so worried about? Never understood you tinfoil hat guys and I have worked in IT for 20 years!
I have been in IT for a minute or two, and I as you indicate have a tinfoil hat, and will not do social media.
Everyone I do stuff with I ask they do not post pictures of me or use my name in any of the social media posts they make.

As for the "After Dark", un no thanks, The self promotion is strong with that one.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm with you on social media. I don't need in it. I have friends that post everything. They do something long enough to take a photo and show everyone. Trying to look like the cool kid on the block i guess. Can't just do it for personal enjoyment i guess. I don't get it and never will. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I'm with you on social media. I don't need in it. I have friends that post everything. They do something long enough to take a photo and show everyone. Trying to look like the cool kid on the block i guess. Can't just do it for personal enjoyment i guess. I don't get it and never will. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

You make social media what you want out of it, no one says you need to post things or even have a public profile but reality is that forums are dying and Facebook groups are taking over. There is a wealth of information on Facebook groups. I actually highly prefer them over forums. It's really your loss if you recognize that or not... What cracks me up though is the tinfoil hat guys that think they are protecting themselves from some big brother watching over them. I guess some people have something to hide!

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
You make social media what you want out of it, no one says you need to post things or even have a public profile but reality is that forums are dying and Facebook groups are taking over. There is a wealth of information on Facebook groups. I actually highly prefer them over forums. It's really your loss if you recognize that or not... What cracks me up though is the tinfoil hat guys that think they are protecting themselves from some big brother watching over them. I guess some people have something to hide!

What bothers me is that info on the forums can be found on google years later. Finding info on facebook isn't that great and the questions gets asked times and times again. I prefered the forums era.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Every ping passing through the internet, every search, every device sending/receiving, is tracked, cataloged, and saved forever, including this thread. This isn't black helicopters, just the way it works. Some content can be encrypted between end points, some data can be scrubbed after use, like CC data, but the internet doesn't work with magic. There is no real privacy, it's just a matter of who and how easy or hard someone wants to work to see your identity, where you go, where you were, what device you used, and what you've done.

Social media has a much larger social cost - the opportunity cost of doing nothing. Lost human potential, mostly zero skill development of any kind. Granted, searching for solutions is hugely convenient. Most social media activity has nothing to do with searching for meaningful solutions to real problems. Like gaming, for 99.9% of us it's just entertainment and self indulgence (that includes posting pics). Facebook is just a business model selling your activity and personal information that was collected without paying you a cent. At SW, we also pay to not see the ads.

Premium Features