• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

After 2 seasons on the snow, did the 2019 or 2020 Alphas end up with a better track record?

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Back to the original question, the track record. I would say from what I am seeing and hearing that more 19's are losing motors which could be due to the fact they've been around longer and have more miles. Conversely the 20's seem to have way more track issues.

1100 miles on my 19, haven't done anything besides add gas and oil

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the great info guys. The 2019 I am looking at is a sure an appealing deal. After reading all the posts, I have to wonder how the 2022 sleds will change. Both Cat and Poo's chassis are long in tooth. I do expect some very appealing changes but, they won't be a killer buy like this 2019!

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
1100 miles on my 19, haven't done anything besides add gas and oil
I said the same thing at 1100 miles but it came out on a rope by 1400 miles lol. It ran super strong until it didn't, no burbles or misses or any warning just went down on a climb. Not too worried about it, lot's of warranty and a great dealer so I'll ride the hell out of when I get it back. Such a fun sled.

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
Seems to me 2019 tracks held up better for some reason my 2020 has lost paddles on inside of track and of course no warranty from Cat. 2020 engines are supposed to be more durable with oil being injected direct to bottom end and no slots in pistons. Both my 18 and 19 blew up (rod) after i traded them in around 2200 kms. Bad thing about track your stuck paying big$ from Cat good thing is they work amazing.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I'll I can tell you is I will not be riding a twin rail on anything in the future! 1000 mile on my 2020 165 and nothing but smiles.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Were the engine changes to the 2020 models driven predominately by emissions standards or were they done to address drive-ability or reliability related issues? In the end, were the engine changes for 2020 deemed to be a positive change?

Also, is the general consensus that it's probably a better choice overall to get Mountain Cat with air shocks over the Hardcore?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Were the engine changes to the 2020 models driven predominately by emissions standards

If you ask a Cat tech/rep this is the response you will get. But who the hell knows. It's likely a combination of both as it's pretty known the rod bearings on the 18s were trouble sum; don't seem to hears as much of that on the 19s so far.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
They changed the way the lower end oils, and I believe it was to cure rod bearing problems. They already met emissions, and they was not a significant increase in power.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I really like the concept of the slot.... more fuel/oil in the bottom end = better cooling...
Also creates a weak spot on the piston....

1,200 relatively good miles.... gas , oil, tighten nuts and bolts, really couldn't complain, the next 300 miles cost $2,000. Primary clutch and Track.

Sent it

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
This is what drove the original question, the other Alpha One I have been seriously considering is a 2020 165 Hardcore with electric start. It has 400 miles but no warranty. It's $500+ more than the new 2019. I actually think I like the 2020 better but, after Snowest's lashing of it in the latest magazine, I backed off a bit.The dealer with the left over 2019 is very motivated to sell and may work with me on an extended warranty.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What was snowest's issue this time?

Basically the sled felt heavy if not on the gas. The track hooked up like mad so had to ride it aggressive and on the throttle or it would ride you - according to them. The poor 2020 Hardcore shock settings they were riding probably didn't help...or they just didn't get the ad dollars they wanted this year.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Oh man! They absolutely destroyed a 2020 Hardcore when compared to a Skidoo Expert and a Pro RMK.

Here a just few of their observations from the Snowest March 2020 issue:

The Hardcore had a heavy front end, was hard to steer, was down on power, felt heavy compared to others, the weight was on the nose and plowed through things unless you were on the throttle, once on the throttle it felt like a jetski, took more effort to make it work, hard to start, harder to pull and always a least to pulls, the suspension didn't deliver, you would be the most tired at the end of the day on the Alpha, the Alpha made them plan their moves far in advance due to slow response, less than snappy throttle response, the weight of the sled plus being down on power really handicapped the Alpha, hard to tree ride going downhill, skis are narrow and don't have the bite required, the Alpha didn't seem to turn where I wanted it to go, hate the hooks on Alpha skis, they trip you, the running boards collect more snow than the others, porky 48 lbs heavier than the Pro RMK 162, seat is soft and too short, weren't particularly happy with the vertical steering post, handlebars were uncomfortable, bar controls are cluttered, brake handle not so hot.

They did like the traction of the track and how reverse worked. They said you had to ride the Hardcore very aggressively, if you didn't, all the weight transferred to the front end an it was very hard to steer.

Taking the time to setup the suspension would have helped a lot but, the hyper-criticality of this article certainly doesn't motivate the Arctic Cat faithful.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Frostbite.
I've mentioned before that if I was you I'd buy the 2021 alpha 165" Mountain Cat.
I like the idea of the handle bar adjustable suspension and updated rail.
The drive clutch is shimmed different and is most likely better also.

If cat comes out with a new chassis in 2022 I'd wait a year to buy and buy a 2023.
My guess is it'll take a year to get all the gremlins worked out if they bring out a new chassis.
I bought a 2012 and wish I wouldn't have.

I don't need an answer to this question but....
Are you a cash buyer or are you financing this purchase?
If financing. How close to 0%??
If cash the 2019 might be the best deal.
Maybe put some cash down on the new sled and finance the extra cost if the financing is cheap enough.
There's no doubt in my mind you'll love the 2021 165" Alpha Mountain Cat!!!

Last edited:
Premium Features