• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice on purchasing appreciated

P
Dec 15, 2018
I'am considering buying a hold over sled but just checking to make sure iam not getting wrong machine. Iam a beginner snowmobiler and want to access skiing and do some backcountry camping . Iam looking at a 2019 skidoo summit 600 for 7400 from a dealer in Missoula. Actually thinking of buying two. Will this be ok to do trails too and will it pull a sled for camping gear ok? Tired of looking used and tired of researching the perfect sled for all things lol. Is this a happy compromise sled for powder and trails or is it strictly powder?used market is not much cheaper and I dont want a 800 and I cant find crossover sleds really except 2021 and I c as n buy two of these for 2I more than one . I dunno but iam obsessing over getting involved inthe sport lol hope the link works. Thanks!!Dunhttps://www.gullboatsandrv.com/product/used-2019-ski-doo-summit-154-600-ccka-1355936-73?utm_source=website&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=getlowestprice

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Short answer 600 sled will work well for your application.

If you buy 2 get more discount on sleds PLUS on parts like covers ... ski clamps , oil

With 2 sleds have them program for free all the "keys" tethers to work on all sleds. Good time to get a couple spare tethers. Mechanic has to erase codes on sleds get new code from SKIDOO and record on all the sleds & keys

A warranty helps in resale

This time of the year is NOT the best time to get a deal on a sled. Best typically march - may.

A 800 will outperform a 600 BUT you are not going be back country riding for riding powder. A 600 will go most anywhere a 800 ill go just not as fast. If it is brand new there will be a break in period and the sled will not run 100% until done.

Best upgrade you can do IMHO is buy a "clutch kit" also gear it down to have more low end torque and grunt. Cost 400 to a grand.

600 cc engine will last way longer than a 800cc with the same maintenance.

Skidoo sleds have different cylinder coatings than other manufacturers so suggest using XPS SKIDOO brand 2 stroke oil. At the very least during break in use XPS. Can get a deal at 40 a gallon. Walk in retail is 50 to 55 a gallon.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I didn't see where it said how many miles they have? The price seems fair if the mileage isn't crazy, like over 3000. Don is right, the 600 should last much longer than an 800 or 850 and I think it should work well for what you want to do. If trail riding for extended period you just need to be mindful of putting the ice scratchers down and watch the temp gage. If the trails are really hardpacked, you may need to get off the trail into the powder from time to time to cool off the hyfax and engine. This is true with any mountain sled not just the ones your looking at.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Thanks for replying! Well I thought they where in sold machines but it turns out they are a group buy from a rental fleet in west Yellowstone. Guy on phone said ,"could be 2-3k miles depending " so i was a little put off by them not caring enough to look but i didnt commit to buying. They have a one year warranty on engine but only 50% of cost of repair at their shop. Better than nothing but not confidence inspiring lol. I've looked so hard for a 600 used and its pretty challenging.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for replying! Well I thought they where in sold machines but it turns out they are a group buy from a rental fleet in west Yellowstone. Guy on phone said ,"could be 2-3k miles depending " so i was a little put off by them not caring enough to look but i didnt commit to buying. They have a one year warranty on engine but only 50% of cost of repair at their shop. Better than nothing but not confidence inspiring lol. I've looked so hard for a 600 used and its pretty challenging.

Wrong time of the year to buy machines. 7900 for a used 600 two years old could be 2-3k miles depending and a RENTAL ... Not so great of a deal

P
Dec 15, 2018
What about this one? It's a 141 so not like the big boys but the old guy who owns it is really nice and he came down a bit and that's a fair starter price? I looked at a 2020 600 154 Polaris today but I was intimidated by it lol. They wanted 11.5 with less than 200 miles but iam officially 3rd in line. That was at the dealer who informed me there are no more snowmobiles at his shop till next year. Crazy I thought

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO

DO NOT BUY FLEET RENTALS. My pops did that even with a polaris 600 (one of the most reliable sleds made ever) and it was a nightmare. Ended up needing basically everything overhauled at one point or another. They jacked up the clutch to run cheaper skinnier belts. It needed pistons and a top end I think. Gauge was always wonky. DO NOT DO IT.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I cannot comment whether the price on the 19 Summit is fair but I can comment on the capability and reliability of the 600 Summit. I have been using the 600 Summit for snowmobile patrol since 2009 with a new sled every odd year. I turn in my sleds with 7500-9000 miles on it. The only sleds I had motor issues were the 2009 and the 2011. We caused the issues with the 2009 using substandard fuel and aftermarket oil. The 2011 was a warranty fix. The 2019 600 was the first year of the 600R motor in the gen 4 chassis which was a huge improvement over the XP and XM chassis. Due to late delivery I received my 2019 Summit mid season and turned it in at 7800 miles in a season and a half. The sled worked well in the powder and decent on trail. My sled had a lot of trail miles and the only issue was a track replacement at 6500 miles. I only replaced 1 belt due to operator error spinning the clutch on a track that was not free. Sled had no issue pulling cargo. I pulled home a sick 750lb calf in a otter tub with no problems. Never had issues with overheating as long as the scratchers were used in hard pack conditions. The Summit I had was a 154 track but we did notice the 2 other Summit 600 146 track would burn up a set of Hyfax in 1000 miles where the 2 Summit 154 sleds never wore out a set of hyfax until the track had to be replaced.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Yeah those rental sleds always seem tempting but just watch the first time renters take them out of the parking lots and down the trail. It's not good. No warm ups, full throttle while stuck, wide open down marginal snow trails, you name it.

I'd pass on a rental sled unless you had pick of the litter and price allowed $1000 of repairs/upgrades.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok I'll pass on the rental deal lol. Well shi@...how about this one?
64 year old guys wifes sled lol. Really nice, articulate and honest about it(at least he seems ) shorter track but they did come in those years with 150 something's so a guy could change it when he was more skilled? I was just going to buy a new one but they arent even available so I decided to just get about anything reasonable to see if I was going to like it and use it enough to snow check one that was exactly what I needed? Thanks sorry iam a noob!

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
I don't know what it is with this year. Everybody's stuff seems at least $500 to $1000 higher this year than last. 600s are very hard to find which is why you may want to consider the 800. You'll likely find a better deal and if you like the sport will want to upgrade in a year or 2 anyway. Just a thought.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Ok I'll pass on the rental deal lol. Well shi@...how about this one?
64 year old guys wifes sled lol. Really nice, articulate and honest about it(at least he seems ) shorter track but they did come in those years with 150 something's so a guy could change it when he was more skilled? I was just going to buy a new one but they arent even available so I decided to just get about anything reasonable to see if I was going to like it and use it enough to snow check one that was exactly what I needed? Thanks sorry iam a noob!

I don't know much about Cat's but usually all 3 manufacturers make stout 600s. Ask guys in the cat forum's particularly about that year- seems like they had some sort of issue either 2015 or 2016 if memory serves me right, but that might have been a clutch thing specific to 800s maybe. But I'd lock that deal down. This year is really hard to buy used and they are expensive!

I don't know what it is with this year. Everybody's stuff seems at least $500 to $1000 higher this year than last. 600s are very hard to find which is why you may want to consider the 800. You'll likely find a better deal and if you like the sport will want to upgrade in a year or 2 anyway. Just a thought.

Yeah there are a LOT less snowchecks due to the pandemic starting up late Feb-April so used market is incredibly tight. I think I could resell my used sled for more than I bought it for last September!

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok...one more then I'll fade away. 2014 800 rev 154 but the engine has carbs. Only 900 miles. Feel bad I called this man about a tundra for sale and after a bit he tells me hes selling all his snowmobile stuff because he lost his son last year in an avalanche while riding. Feel like I should buy it even if it's not right. He wants 4500 obo for 800 and 7500 for tundra. Tundra is a 2020 has 41 miles . Ok last story thanks to everyone who has contributed!

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
That's a pretty good deal. We have a 2013 PTek at work that we enjoy. Carbs are fine - especially if you primarily ride in one location. May require a bit more maintenance at the end of season storage. $4500 OBO is a good price and you could always start the bidding at $4000, $7500 for a 2020 Tundra? Is that a typo? Wow

P
Dec 15, 2018
No it's not a typo. Like I said this poor man lost his son last year in a snowmobile avalanche. He just wants them gone because hes broken hearted and cant snowmobile with his sons memory. Very sad really. I feel like a heal even thinking about somehow profiting off him. It gets worse . I told him I wasnt ready for a 800, which isnt a lie and he offered me the 2020 tundra with 41 miles and a trailer for 8k. I think I'll buy the tundra out of respect for his offer. I lost a daughter to a motorcycle accident and that shi@ never heals. Iam just a beginner and I have two other daughters so maybe just cruising along is a start. Just wish they werent so gigantic feeling. Analysis paralysis is setting in and taking a little fun out of it lol!! Thanks for replying I do really appreciate guys knowing what they are talking about.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you don't do your own wrenching make sure you buy the brand with the best dealer in your area. Also buy both sleds the same brand so you can use common parts and accessories. The Ski-Doo XM is likely the easiest first sled to learn to ride as it is light on the steering and doesn't require being on one ski to perform like Cat and Polaris. Don't be surprised if you get rid of your skis once you realize how fun they are and not just going down hill but up too. I know several guys that started on skis and now don't touch them. If you buy a 600 and out-grow it they are usually easier to resell as they are not as common as the 800.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
DO NOT BUY FLEET RENTALS. My pops did that even with a polaris 600 (one of the most reliable sleds made ever) and it was a nightmare. Ended up needing basically everything overhauled at one point or another. They jacked up the clutch to run cheaper skinnier belts. It needed pistons and a top end I think. Gauge was always wonky. DO NOT DO IT.

i can agree with this 100%. A friendof mine is goong through this the last 2 seasons with a polaria 600. He has rebuilt the engine and clutches and is now chasing a problem shutting doen 10 min into riding. Electrical gremlin of some sort, ive towed him out 5 times. Bought it for $3400 with 600 miles, has $3k additional trying to sort it now. 2 dealers can't pinpoint it. Total disaster.

Premium Features