• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice on KTM for Snowbike

J
Oct 19, 2020
Hoping to get some expert advice as I am starting into this sport.
First I have a 2017 Mountain Horse kit. May upgrade to a longer track later.

Will be riding in Colorado between 8-11k ft.

Older rider (50). 6'2 250 lbs.

Not chasing air.

Looking at KTM 500's and 450's. Will buy used 2015-2018 Reason for KTM's- my buddy works on them so its preferred but not 100%

Thinking the larger engine for altitude leads me to the 500.

Love to hear from some of you with experience. Thanks.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I used an '18 450 SX-F on my Riot kit last year. Like you, I'm half way to a century lol. Mind you, my riding was from 4-6k feet (here in BC we get snow nice and low) but it was the bees knees.
Loved it, started easily, good power, would pull 3rd gear busting through meadows in a couple feet of fresh etc. only thing I MIGHT have changed, if I could do it different would be to use the '19 and up bikes,
they get the upgraded Pankl gear sets in the transmissions.

M
Sep 18, 2015
It's really hard to go wrong on the KTMs. I personally preferred saving the weight on the 450s over the 500, and it makes it a much more enjoyable summer bike. If you're looking for snow bike only, the 500s will always put a smile on your face.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Both are good choices, 450 will tend to rev out a little higher and has strong top end. 500 is a torque monster and will pull another gear in the low/mid possibly. 450's are generally 5 speeds, 500 is a 6 speed. Debatable which is better but I have found the 5 speed tops out on the trail and leaves me wanting a little more. The 5 speed close ratio tranny works great overall tho.
If you think you will be the slower technical tree riding type the 500 is perfect, if you like the deep powder, long pulls/hill climbs, etc. the 450 is probably what you want.
500 usually has a bigger stator too which helps if you want to run lights, electric grips, etc.
Bottom line is you can't go wrong, either works great.

J
Oct 19, 2020
It's really hard to go wrong on the KTMs. I personally preferred saving the weight on the 450s over the 500, and it makes it a much more enjoyable summer bike. If you're looking for snow bike only, the 500s will always put a smile on your face.
Yes, likely will be 70% snow bike. Mostly a summer mtn biker. Weight diff looks to be about 20+ lbs...given my not so thin self, likely negligible.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, what grk said. I don't have a lot of time on the ktm450 . But I much prefer my 500 ktm to my 450fx. Biggest difference being more torque and the 6 speed with the 500. If you like to ride close trees the 500 in first can slow to almost a stop and not stall. I have trouble with the ktm 450 sx/xc as first is too tall and I stall often in the trees. But, my riding buddy does well with the ktm 450 and kicks my az in the trees, and everywhere else....both work:)

C
Yes, likely will be 70% snow bike. Mostly a summer mtn biker. Weight diff looks to be about 20+ lbs...given my not so thin self, likely negligible.
wen you remove all the unnecessary stuff on the 500 it will not be 20 bls difference .
500 have big gas tank kick stan , rad fan , light , blinker , tail light and tail flap . plus all the smug stuff . front spring forks vs air forks hare 3 lbs difference .

i also think the 500 is a better engine for long term use , they hare tuff like hell .

C
Nov 22, 2017
Colorado
SX525 would be the way to go! They are hard to find and expensive for something old though. I have a 525EXC but its a wide trans. Same power as a new 450 but more torque everywhere. My 525 will outrun a new 500 or 501 across the whole powerband. The new 500/501 however is much better as a whole package and with single track handling. Not sure if that translates to snow handling.

Last edited:
D
Nov 22, 2017
SX525 would be the way to go! They are hard to find and expensive for something old though. I have a 525EXC but its a wide trans. Same power as a new 450 but more torque everywhere. My 525 will outrun a new 500 or 501 across the whole powerband. The new 500/501 however is much better as a whole package and with single track handling. Not sure if that translates to snow handling.

Sure does translate to good snow handling, the 501 was super nimble in the snow (and actually a decent single track dirt bike). I had attached a camso and riot both on a 17 501, it was a razor blade in the trees. Although that has more to do with the kit and track length than the bike does. But the low end torque and tall first and second gear made, the super tight trees absolutely a breeze, super easy barely an inconvience ;) . my buddies and myself for that matter on the 450s with shorter gears had to work way harder in the tight trees. Many people get tripped up by the short/wide ratio transmission thing on the 500 bikes, I've ridden both and I am a fan of both, both have their pros and cons.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Cant speek to the 500 but if you go 450 get the XCF for 6 speed close ratio gearing. it has a 35w stator and no lights. or the EXC for 6 speed wider ratio. The exc would need some exhaust modes to get rid of the emissions and to get all the usable power but if comes with a much larger stator, headlight, taillight.

Premium Features