• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A-hole dealer installed flashing brake light after all!

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
When my 23 GMC 2500hd At4 D-max arrived, I noticed the dealer invoice included the "nitrogen air filled tires"-$250, "Pulse safety brake light"- $400. I objected, told them to remove them, never authorized these dealer gimmicks. Anyways, they ultimately did and thought this was the end of it until this weekend I noticed that the third brake light was indeed flashing.

Who do these guys think they are? Installing some aftermarket product on someone else's property without any approval. I didn't want it and now have to figure how to have it removed. It's gimmicky, something kids do around here with their Subaru WRX's and little sport cars. Not for a grown man and his truck. Embarrassing to having been driving with this unknowingly the last 4 months.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I did see a study a few years back about a trial that was done on taxi cabs. It was a little different but might apply somewhat. They had brake lights flash with a brake press but they flashed faster with more force applied. This instintively let following drivers know if the taxi was braking slowly or panic braking. The test fleet had less rear end accidients than the normal brake light taxis.

I don't know if this could make you feel better or not and I agree it was a slime move by the dealership. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something coming to OEM designs in the near future. You might be on the "cutting edge?" of technology.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
The overwhelming majority of people I've asked including myself find them annoying. I do not want a reason for the guy behind me having a bad day to becoming even more enraged as my brake lights annoy him in stop and go traffic to the point of a road rage incident. I am serious! Now, it seems I'm one of those idiots with those stupid flashing brake light.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The overwhelming majority of people I've asked including myself find them annoying. I do not want a reason for the guy behind me having a bad day to becoming even more enraged as my brake lights annoy him in stop and go traffic to the point of a road rage incident. I am serious! Now, it seems I'm one of those idiots with those stupid flashing brake light.
Can you imagine if this becomes the norm for car builders. 20 cars sitting in a turn lane with their turn indicators on and their brake lights flashing, all out of sync and its going to look like a scene out of a bad Christmas movie.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
They put it on the sheet like its something you have not option on. I too had them take it of and the 400 price too. take it back to them and have the take it off!

North Dakota 322

Premium Member
I would ask them to show you where they installed the flashing module at as some of the cheaper ones have you cut the wire going to the third brake light and use Scotch lock connectors to install it in line. Which will 100% lead to wiring issues in your vehicle later on.

If they did cut your wiring harness I would demand that they install a new wiring harness. From my previous 2017 Chevy pickup I know the wiring on GM's is absolute ****.

Had a local GM dealer price out a pickup for me I told them I didn't want the flashing third brake light. After him telling me multiple times that "it is free and it's for my safety" and me responding with "I don't care I don't want it."
He finally took it off the sheet and somehow magically the price went down $400.

I told him to take his pickup and shove it. Walked over to the Ford dealer and there is a F-250 sitting in my garage right now. best decision I made. I like the ford 20x more than the Chevy in every category.

The little 3.0 Duramax half ton pickups have problems with the flashing third brake light and a crank but no start issue. My father owns one of these trucks and has done some internet polling and has come to the conclusion, that the flashing third brake light they hack into the wiring harness has something to do with it. As most everyone who experiences the issue has a flashing third brake light.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
It's definitely a headache I didn't want nor ask for. My email to the owner has not been returned. I am going to go in person. Like you mentioned, splicing into my new truck's wiring is bullshit and something that was never authorized.

It is something that is not a simple solution like just looking behind the third brake light. There are no screws to that light to remove like older GM trucks. It is sealed up and attached to that roof spoiler. So, who knows where this aftermarket device is attached at. I love this truck so far and it disgusts me to no end that they think they can modify someone else's new property.

Premium Features