• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few upgrades for the polaris 120

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
So awesome! I can’t wait to get some HP under my boys sled!

7752527cf9582c0b9d17b0fb25699d79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Mar 13, 2019
this cleaned up real nice. I got the hand warmers and lights hooked up with a relay to the charge circuit so that they only come on when the sled is running. Also installed an LED headlight. Just for reference the hand warmers pull 2.7 amps on low and 3.2 amps on high. LED Lights pull .5 amps

Blew the track on the red sled (it was in poor shape, missing a few lugs) so the blue sled is now a donor rig for it. We will long track the blue sled...

4FA30762-1370-47D8-A265-2476F592F885 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

F46731CA-B6E6-44FE-B0D1-62F849D285BE by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

C2410D47-22F5-4668-B29D-A4143AE76ACC by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I’m still looking for my invoice. My wife says she has it somewhere. I’ll get it to you soon.

In the meantime, what’s else did you have to buy for the conversion? I want to do exactly what you just did. Right down to the start button etc. But I’m not electrically inclined so I’m at a bit of a loss.

T
Mar 13, 2019
that would be great. Arctic cat in yorkton just quoted me $611CAD for that track. local polaris dealer is $550

I don't think you need that button exactly. I just tagged them onto another order I had. I am sure princess or amazon has something that would work. I will do up a wiring diagram in the next day or two. The big thing that I did was use deutsch connectors that you need a special tool to install. It makes undoing the wiring harness super easy. That's going to be the trickiest thing for you I think.

I pulled the engine today. Took 20 min and everything unplugged. Had to modify the steering,

If you are running lights or warmers you'll need an automotive relay

Simple two wire momentary switch to activate the starter. It needs to handle 3 amps min. I went plastic and sealed.

I just had a bunch of these blue sea fuse holders for another project. I like them because they have a central ground bus as well. You need a minimum of three fuses., 1) starter relay 2) hand warmer 3) lights. You could also just use inline fuse but they are messy coming off a battery. If you are just running the starter get an inline and attach direct to battery

Search amazon for: Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block

cheaper option

search amazon for : BlueFire Upgraded 6 Way Blade Fuse Box Fuse Holder

tusk hand warmers.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Amazing! Thank you sir!
This was my list. I didn’t need the tunnel protectors or the u-nuts.

However I did use a new-old set of sliders I had for my wife’s 91 EXT. same rail profile. And I used her old rear axle brackets and rail caps. (Updated her skid.)

I didn’t need a snowflap but decided my sons kitty cat might work better with the rear tunnel cap removed. So I’m using that instead.

You might want to buy the bumper for the 200. I’m using a Polaris skinz bumper that I’m narrowing etc.

As far as a shock goes, I already had the race kit from Rec Motors but a lot of guys are using a front track shock off a bigger sled and making their own axles/spacers etc.

The new style drivers fit on the Cat axle perfectly. I’m not sure what the Polaris shaft is like but I can measure the diameter to see if it’s a direct fit. Just press them on like normal drivers.

You don’t need the inner braces or the outer runningboard aluminum caps either. I might be able to hop on the laptop later when the kids are in bed and get you an exact list you can sift thru.

1f236252255f996fd3ac6e8bfde14774.jpg

T
Mar 13, 2019
that's perfect! thanks. I am going to order the track tomorrow. I'm fortunate that I do a fair bit of fab work. I have a tig and a brake, lathe etc. I do it all for fun but it allows me to make stuff!

I am going to repurpose some old polaris skid rails and bend up a tunnel extension. Prob build the bumper and side reinforcement as well.

The polaris drive shaft is a bit different then the cat. I'll need to machine down a hex shaft on the ends and source new bearings. Then the cat track driver will work.

Iv'e already sourced the parts for the shock. Red sled has it. what a difference!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The problem I had with cat rails was the profile differences. Couldn’t get a set even close. And for the price I didn’t worry about it too much. I didn’t think to look at any other brands to be honest.

T
Mar 13, 2019
Ya if I can get close to those prices I will buy a set. You have a pretty good cat dealer discount!

If not I for see some bending cutting and welding . I would never do it on a big sled but on these little guys, it will be just fine.

Parts for the big sled showed up today and I've got to go shoot a deer so I won't get to much until next week.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Wow, so glad I found this thread! My little dudes got an xc 120 also. So far just have a governor bypass, C&A minis, and just added a shock-it read shock kit. He loves it! 9DB72FDE-697E-4068-A1AF-987718E3D442.jpeg

T
Mar 13, 2019
He's going to really like that shock. I put one in on the XCR but didn't get the one on the indy and it is a game changer for the kids. Ride quality is SO much better.

I just finished cutting and welding the XCR handle bars today to make them adj like the Indy's are. No more hitting knees when turning. Tomorrow I am going to pull the head on the 208 to port and polish and remove the governor. Then it's put the engine back in for good (I hope!)

then waiting on parts....

T
Mar 13, 2019
hey @Indy_500 and @Reeb you both are running the CA Pros on your minis do you find it was worth the $$$$ We are not mountain sledders, just trail and fields of powder.

I'm about done spending money on these sleds this year but I am already envisioning a new front suspension with taller spindles and wider track with skis for next year... ;-)

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
My kids did nothing but school fields the first year and I came across our skis from a defunct dealer. One to the next was a dramatic difference for my kids. I was surprised but both of them said they noticed the ease of steering. Now a disclaimer was that I didn’t put the runners on right away. I was worried my 3yo would have issues turning like he did with the stockers. I shouldn’t have worried tho because I put the runners on afterwards and he didn’t notice a difference.
Of course this was in a flat school field that was fairly hardpack.

Now that they go on the trails and even go off trail every ride I wouldn’t want any other ski. I have an older 120 with steel skis that I let my nephew and niece use when they come visit and it’s so noticeable. But that’s to be expected for steel vs plastic.

I found some eBay shocks that most racers seem to be using. That’ll be the next upgrade along with risers and bars. Not till the spring or next summer tho.

I did move the whole post forward about 3” fairly simply. Cut the hood, put a piece of UHMW under the top mount and used longer carriage bolts to hold it down.

ac1fb009c026963cb3e9a2cc194e08f5.jpg
6714998c6957869d83ba9af14fffabbe.jpg

T
Mar 13, 2019
no no no that's not what I want to read.... They suck tell me they suck!

hahaha I think the polaris ones are better then the cat but I will put them on the short list. I would be interested in the shocks you found as well. I stared at that front end for hours today. It needs a redo.

I threw a tach on the 208 today with the governor remove.... 6800 rpm with no load. I didn't have enough hands to get video.

Motors are going on sale at PA for 229 next week.

Also picked up a used axys bumper for cheap to use on the indy

T
Mar 13, 2019
relocated the starter relay:

4F9A675C-5194-4089-ABF7-402B7B360699 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

new seat on the indy. It's hard to tell in the pic but I really narrowed it up on the front compared to the seat on the XCR. If I made about 10 more my sewing might get up to par.

E9E51F99-5E6E-4FAE-8CA9-6B296095F221 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Details of the throttle linkage. Biggest issue is getting enough throw on the lever. I might have to put a block behind the handlebar throttle lever

22A753AC-35B0-4185-9196-7AFC81DD5AE4 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I wanna respond more but I got my hands full right now putting kids to bed.
Cats run 240mm. I heard Polaris is 260. Bunch of sellers on eBay. Bunch of versions too. Most snox sleds run these.

75dadfc212d8fdc5aacf381ff070f435.jpg

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
hey @Indy_500 and @Reeb you both are running the CA Pros on your minis do you find it was worth the $$$$ We are not mountain sledders, just trail and fields of powder.

I'm about done spending money on these sleds this year but I am already envisioning a new front suspension with taller spindles and wider track with skis for next year... ;-)
I think they were worth it, the sled bites super well and you can tell he’s super confident going in and out of corners. We live in central Wisconsin usually get about 60-80” of snow a year (definitely don’t ride my mountain sled around here) and he just buzzes around the fields behind the house.

T
Mar 13, 2019
@Reeb can I trouble you to take a couple measurements for me. Camso track showed up. Not the tread I was expecting. 1/2" lug is pretty short but we will give it a go. might make it's way on to the red sled sooner then later....

Attachments

• cat rail.jpg
    cat rail.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 28
Premium Features