• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A couple of Gen II questions

G
Jan 10, 2020
I recently bought a 99 RMK 600 and what octane fuel should I be running? The headlight is week, it is a battery delete sled, I would like to know what the best headlight replacement is? Also what are the pros and cons of a battery delete sled? Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I always run premium in mine, but it's a bit newer and has two key settings (for regular and premium gas). If you can find an owner's manual or service manual, that should have more guidance, but even if regular is ok, I'd still lean towards ethanol-free premium. Battery delete would mean it was originally electric start; that makes it 20-30lbs lighter. The con is you have to pull start, but I find that to be little inconvenience. The headlight may be a stator going bad, but they're not necessarily as bright as car headlights, especially at idle. For the headlight, I'd just pull it out and take it to a parts store. It sounds like it's still good though.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I always run premium in mine, but it's a bit newer and has two key settings (for regular and premium gas). If you can find an owner's manual or service manual, that should have more guidance, but even if regular is ok, I'd still lean towards ethanol-free premium. Battery delete would mean it was originally electric start; that makes it 20-30lbs lighter. The con is you have to pull start, but I find that to be little inconvenience. The headlight may be a stator going bad, but they're not necessarily as bright as car headlights, especially at idle. For the headlight, I'd just pull it out and take it to a parts store. It sounds like it's still good though.

X2 on the above.

No difference in lighting with/without a battery. and like above, lights were not as bright as we have today with LED's, bigger lenses, etc. Could replace the respective coil on the stator if you wanted. Maybe watch for a few other sleds with the same headlight and compare to see if its already as bright as it was intended to be, or not. Non-oxy premium for fuel.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I ran regular fuel in my 99 RMK600. I never had an issue and had over 12500 miles when I sold them. I left the ACCS intact. As far as the headlight issue if you have an AC voltmeter measure the voltage on the yellow lead at the voltage regulator which is mounted on the engine side of the right footwell. It should go up to about 15 VAC but no more at higher rpm. Don't unplug the yellow wire when checking the voltage though or you will blow all the bulbs. If it won't reach 15 VAC then unplug the regulator and slowly increase rpm to see if It increases. If not you have a bad stator. Also make sure you have the proper bulbs in the headlight. Low beam (center bulb)should be H4,60/55W. High beam bulbs are 37W. As stated battery delete should make no difference.

Premium Features