• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 RMK 700 Smoking Issue

U
Feb 27, 2011
Falkland, BC
Hey guys,
I am having an issue with my 99 RMK 700 and I hope you can point me in the right direction.
When I start it up to idle for the 5 minute warm up it smokes like crazy. It bogs so badly when starting out that I can barely get it moving forward. Once it gets going it really goes, but still smokes a bit while out on the trail. Once hot it doesn't smoke a lot, but still more than necessary. I pulled the y-pipe and it is pretty sludged up with thick black oil.
I adjusted the oiler to line up the notches and it didn't help.
Changed the plugs and no improvement.
I also changed out the carbs but that didn't help either.
The top end was rebuilt two years ago and it ran fine after that for a while. It's been running poorly for about 1 year and currently has about 8000kms on it.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Does it go thru a lot of oil? If the oil pump fails it goes "wide open" and pumps lots of oil, kinda sounds like what your describing.

RMKK1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2009
Me too!

My 99 700 RMK is doing the same. Can't get it to idle down below about 2000 RPM either. I checked and it used a quart of oil for 5.5gal fuel. Thats about 22:1, way too rich. There isn't a screw on the pump to adjust it anywhere is there? Thanks

Premium Features