• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 700rmk no spark need help

E
Jul 25, 2013
I recently bought a 99 700 rmk for my dad that I was gonna build into an old mod sled for him, it ran great, one two pulls and fired right up and ran great, sat for two days went out to start it and no spark, the previous owner had spliced some of the stator jumper wires down at the plug so I bought a used stator off ebay that came from a running sled and it ohmed out good .3 ohms from yellow to brown wires, replaces flywheel too because magnents were cracked in stock one, put it back together...still now spark, so I bought a used coil/cdi that came from a running sled and still no spark, I can't figure it out other than the coil cdi I bought could be bad but I have no idea how to test the cdi coil, anyone have any other ideas? I need this thing running

A
Oct 20, 2014
Disconnect the single black/white wire from the CDI Module to the ignition kill circuit.

Do you have spark now?

Yes = Check the ignition switch, wire harness, throttle safety switches and kill switch for proper adjustment or short to ground.

No = Get back to me and I will post a diagram to check.

From my manual it shows you should have a wiring harness that comes off the stator to the CDI controller, then to the ignition coil... Can you verify you are getting voltage at the CDI? If you are getting voltage at the CDI, more than likely its your Ignition coil.

I would also test your ignition switch.

1. Set the multimeter to Ohms position. Connect one of the tester leads to either of the switch terminals and the other tester lead to the other switch terminal.

2. With the switch off, the reading should be less than .4 ohms. With the switch on, the reading must be an open circuit (OL)

3. Check the resistance between each of the switch terminals and the switch body. With the switch still in the on position, there must be an open circuit (OL) reading. Readings other than those listed indicate a defective switch.

Hopefully that gets you to test some things and see if that helps.

E
Jul 25, 2013
Thanks! I will check the switch, I have already tried disconnecting the black wire and nothing, so then I disconnected the ign switch and still nothing, when I bought it the kill switch and all hand warmers, light switch etc was disconnected due to different bars that had been installed.

A
Oct 20, 2014
Sounds like you already did this...

Disconnect the stator to CDI module wires. Test the resistance values of the stator coils as per the wiring diagrams. Are the resistance values within spec?

Isolate which components resistance is not within specs. Remove the flywheel and stator. Recheck the resistances, look for pinched or bare harness wires, or replace the coil.

I would use the ohm function to test your spark wires, your coil, and your switches to make sure they are all ohm out good.

If everything ohms out ok you have a bad ground somewhere.

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Thanks! I will check the switch, I have already tried disconnecting the black wire and nothing, so then I disconnected the ign switch and still nothing, when I bought it the kill switch and all hand warmers, light switch etc was disconnected due to different bars that had been installed.

That eliminates the switch, safety switch and kill button being the cause of the problem.

Coil resistance readings
plug cap to plug cap 11K to 12K ohms
wire to wire (without going through caps) - 1000 to 1300 ohms.

Stator resistance readings
Brn to Y 0.12 to 0.15 ohms (this is lighting circuit)
Brn to base 0.0 ohms
W to Grn 5.3 to 6.0 ohms (ignition circuit)
W to base 0.0 ohms
R to Blu 150 to 190 ohms (ignition circuit)
R to base open
Blk open

Edit: Sounds like alaska_guy already sent you the wiring diagram.

Last edited:
E
Jul 25, 2013
Fixed it! Found four wires going from stator to coil/cdi rubbed each other throug the jacketing and were touching depending on were the were laying, thanks everyone for the help

Premium Features