• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900R worth 2K more???

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Like the SDI 1000 Summit? Just riding one was close to making you regret it.

Jaysore3

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 1, 2022
Idaho
Choose the 9R instead of the Boost for my 2023 snow checked based on:

a. I ride mainly in the trees so lighter is better.
b. Have been riding a turbo since 2018 and frankly the turbos are overkill for my riding.
c. Parts that are not there weigh nothing and do not break.

If I were in BC and rode lots of big mountain deep powder the turbo would be better, but in Idaho we are not so

When I price it out on Polaris website a Khoas slash 155 with the 900 is more like $2,600 over the 850. Thats getting close to a CC 900 in price but probably not as much in performance (I have no experience on either, but CC900 doesnt need to meet emissions).

And to those calling it a factory mod sled, its not. It is a factory stock sled that produces a little more power per 100cc's than the 850 (if you assume the 850 makes 165 hp). Add 7% to that and the 900 is around 176-177hp. That means the 850 producew 19.41 hp per 100cc's and the 900 produces 19.62 hp per 100cc;'s. Pretty good for a snowmachine with a warranty. For reference a KTM 125sx and 250 sx are about 30.4 and 20 hp per 100 cc's

Maybe I am an old man now, but for something that costs close to $20k I expect it to last a while. I cant see paying that kind of money and keeping a back up around just in case and thinking that is ok. I'll give it a year and see how it goes. Burnt too many times on a first year engine.....
Maybe it just me, but I don't think the hp is what is the big selling point. Cause at elevation neither is going to make that hp. It the torque and throttle response that makes it "better" than an 850. If you ride tight technical trees and need that instant get up. That who the 900 if for. If you are just wanting more power the boost is the sled for you.

For me personally I'd love to have them both, and will probably try finding a 9r khaos 155 this fall or just snowcheck one for the "wife"the next spring. There a lot of days I could have more fun on a 9r then a boost and vis versa

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I'm buying a 165 Boost this year, keep it and buy a 155 900r for "my wife" next year. ;) Best of both worlds and not first year production so hopefully most the 1st year kinks are worked out on both. But if Polaris sticks with their pattern, maybe a 900r with boost will be available next year. But who knows. Maybe by then this green new deal BS will ban combustion engines, cow farts and private ownership so we will own nothing and we will be happy with what we have comrades.

Jaysore3

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 1, 2022
Idaho
I'm buying a 165 Boost this year, keep it and buy a 155 900r for "my wife" next year. ;) Best of both worlds and not first year production so hopefully most the 1st year kinks are worked out on both. But if Polaris sticks with their pattern, maybe a 900r with boost will be available next year. But who knows. Maybe by then this green new deal BS will ban combustion engines, cow farts and private ownership so we will own nothing and we will be happy with what we have comrades.
Yeah that would be pretty sweet if they did. Off topic I wish polaris would offer more shock options. Why in 2023 I can't get a set of burandt for shocks from factory is beyond me.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Yeah that would be pretty sweet if they did. Off topic I wish polaris would offer more shock options. Why in 2023 I can't get a set of burandt for shocks from factory is beyond me.
Totally agreed! I was hoping this year they would have had them available.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Don't think i would gripe. Look and see what anyone else offers. If you want burandt shocks, go buy them. If polaris gets involved they will muck up the valving or parts due to bean counter. Think doo gives 2 colors and no shock choice. Arctic cat gives you a choice of old technology and old technology plus probably 2 colors. Yamaha doesn't really give any choices but they can't even make their own sled.

R
Sep 30, 2021
Washington
Fox didn't have track shocks distributed to the masses for the Matryx Khaos until late December and they have been mostly sold out since then. I can't imagine Polaris having that addtional hold up added to the sleds they are already having a hard time delivering. In reality it's better just to change out your shocks and rebuild and take them with you to the next sled.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Don't think i would gripe. Look and see what anyone else offers. If you want burandt shocks, go buy them. If polaris gets involved they will muck up the valving or parts due to bean counter. Think doo gives 2 colors and no shock choice. Arctic cat gives you a choice of old technology and old technology plus probably 2 colors. Yamaha doesn't really give any choices but they can't even make their own sled.
This for sure.

Polaris would cheap out the internals just like the walker evans shocks…….

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My buddies piggybacks (not the velocities) on his 2020 rode every bit as good as my $2500 Burandt shocks

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
When I price it out on Polaris website a Khoas slash 155 with the 900 is more like $2,600 over the 850. Thats getting close to a CC 900 in price but probably not as much in performance (I have no experience on either, but CC900 doesnt need to meet emissions).

And to those calling it a factory mod sled, its not. It is a factory stock sled that produces a little more power per 100cc's than the 850 (if you assume the 850 makes 165 hp). Add 7% to that and the 900 is around 176-177hp. That means the 850 producew 19.41 hp per 100cc's and the 900 produces 19.62 hp per 100cc;'s. Pretty good for a snowmachine with a warranty. For reference a KTM 125sx and 250 sx are about 30.4 and 20 hp per 100 cc's

Maybe I am an old man now, but for something that costs close to $20k I expect it to last a while. I cant see paying that kind of money and keeping a back up around just in case and thinking that is ok. I'll give it a year and see how it goes. Burnt too many times on a first year engine.....
I was always the one to say “don’t buy a first year engine”
I think it used to make a difference, but not really anymore…
In our crew We have had 3 850’s blow, a 19, 20 and 21. The Season is not over and there are 3 Boost in our group which I would assume are more likely to go than the NA. Time will tell…..
IMHO it Makes no difference 1st 2nd or 3rd year, they all blow…….
If I had snow-checked an 850 in stead of
The 9R for next year, I would still keep a spare, since it’s really a roll Of the dice.
I just rather not be left without when it counts…..

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Fox didn't have track shocks distributed to the masses for the Matryx Khaos until late December and they have been mostly sold out since then. I can't imagine Polaris having that addtional hold up added to the sleds they are already having a hard time delivering. In reality it's better just to change out your shocks and rebuild and take them with you to the next sled.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the shocks on the matryx are WE velocity all the way around aren't they?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but the shocks on the matryx are WE velocity all the way around aren't they?
He’s saying Fox took a long time to get their shocks sent out… and it would have taken Polaris longer to deliver sleds IF they came with Fox shocks.

Jaysore3

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 1, 2022
Idaho
My buddies piggybacks (not the velocities) on his 2020 rode every bit as good as my $2500 Burandt shocks
Interesting I much prefere my burandts to my wife's velocities, but it all a preference thing I just want the options is all.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No you could order mono tube. As far as I know, they never shipped the Fox rear skid shocks that worked with the inside bogie wheels. They were constantly delayed. The only people running Fox on the rear are guys who ran a carbon skid or bought the 21 rear arm with outside bogie wheels. Stock WE Velocity don't even touch Fox shocks. At the very least they needed to be revalved to be comparable.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
No you could order mono tube. As far as I know, they never shipped the Fox rear skid shocks that worked with the inside bogie wheels. They were constantly delayed. The only people running Fox on the rear are guys who ran a carbon skid or bought the 21 rear arm with outside bogie wheels. Stock WE Velocity don't even touch Fox shocks. At the very least they needed to be revalved to be comparable.
I have the fox skid shocks ??‍♂️

They work fine with the inner bogies.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have the fox skid shocks ??‍♂️

They work fine with the inner bogies.
The air shocks, not coil. Sorry I wasn't specific. Unless you are magical and got them to work? If that's the case, post pics! My preference is the air shocks are better than the spring because you can just copy people's settings instead of wasting all day on the mountain trying to dial them in and the rebound is better.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The air shocks, not coil. Sorry I wasn't specific. Unless you are magical and got them to work? If that's the case, post pics! My preference is the air shocks are better than the spring because you can just copy people's settings instead of wasting all day on the mountain trying to dial them in and the rebound is better.
Ah!

Yeah mine are coil.

Set for my weight as part of the snowcheck process. ?

Only turned the QS3 knobs since installing.

Ride sweet.

B9F645DB-DF26-4E36-AEB5-282C73B08BC0.jpeg9913AE5F-0AAC-4AE7-ACCE-0592A968ED6B.jpegEDFC55A9-3E7E-427A-9ED2-6CA32A6DA350.jpeg

Premium Features