• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900R worth 2K more???

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Just as the title says I can get a 9R for 2 grand more than a 850 is it worth it? Especially being first year motor.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Only u can make that decision.

Everyone else can only offer their opinion.

$2g for ~12hp and the right to say u have something most other people do not.

Worth it for some people and not others.

If Polaris motors had a better reputation, I would absolutely pay that extra money. They don't, so I wouldn't.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Absolutely!

That 9R, is basically the 900 kit Jack Struthers at Carls Cycle Sales developed, with Polaris's "refinements",.

The Carls 900 kit wouldl cost you about $5k, and that is with no Polaris warranty.

If you can get a 900 for $2k more than the 850 . . AND a warranty, it is a no-brainer :)

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
If you can outride the current Matrix 850, you’re a beast. I know I can’t. The current 850 does everything I ask of it and more, I never feel like I need extra hp’s. But I also ride lower elevation around 2-4K. For me, not worth the extra $$ unless it were for bragging rights.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Go buy a 850 and then spend $4600 more for a carls 900 with no warranty and i bet this one runs better. Look at price of slp twins and twins have always been fussier. More underhood heat.
Buying one but i can't tell you whether it is worth it. You have to decide. Just a guess that it is not to you because you're asking.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just as the title says I can get a 9R for 2 grand more than a 850 is it worth it? Especially being first year motor.
Can you spend that 2k at a moment’s notice without wrecking your budget?

If so go for it.

I have a first year boost sled and am happy with it. (But i paid cash for it??‍♂️)

Basically a first year 900 probably will put you on a rental a few days if you ride a lot.

Plan on the expense and enjoy the ride.

Like others have said only you can make the decision.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks for the response's guys do think it will be worth the 2g's more upon resale time?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Can you spend that 2k at a moment’s notice without wrecking your budget?

If so go for it.

I have a first year boost sled and am happy with it. (But i paid cash for it??‍♂️)

Basically a first year 900 probably will put you on a rental a few days if you ride a lot.

Plan on the expense and enjoy the ride.

Like others have said only you can make the decision.
So you're thinking i am putting my wife on a 9r so i can go with the boys when her sled breaks down? Maybe that sled is worth 4 or 5 grand more.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Don’t do anything until our forum 3%er riding experts chime in. Im sure they/them are just waiting for their Motrin to kick in after hassling with boat anchors all day and will properly advise you shortly.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I would be all over it for 2gs more . I had a 900 155 checked until today but it ended being $3900 more than my 22 850 na out the door. Dealers up here raised the freight charge up big time depending on dealership . Im alittle leary of the first year motor and I’m usually on a 165/163 so I ended up finding a khaos boost 165 for $1000 more than the 900 so that made my decision easier . I’ll wait it out and see how the 900 holds up

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Absolutely!

That 9R, is basically the 900 kit Jack Struthers at Carls Cycle Sales developed, with Polaris's "refinements",.

The Carls 900 kit wouldl cost you about $5k, and that is with no Polaris warranty.

If you can get a 900 for $2k more than the 850 . . AND a warranty, it is a no-brainer :)

Bingo. The CC900 is a sweet running motor.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Basically a Carl's Cycle 900... I've heard and read that in the videos and marketing material, but having a hard time believing it. I would sure hope Carl's is delivering more than 12hp over a stock 850 for $4600.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Like Summ8rmk said, only you can make that decision. Personally, it's not my cup of tea: I don't know how much I'd use the power, and the potential reliability/longevity issues might sink it anyway. On the other hand, if you bought the 850 and wanted more power, you'd be stuck either unloading it and going through the process to get a 9R, or spending more than the difference to maybe get the same power. SLP twins would probably put you in the ballpark, but then you might have tuning issues, and less response when the pipes are cold.

All that said, it's going to be a hoot to ride, I bet even more than the turbo if you ride low enough. Keep in mind, the Boost is going to own it at elevation, except maybe for lots of on-and-off-throttle. I'd pay good money try one against a Boost, and a Gen5 for that matter, even though it could be a while. Might not really be worth it this season unless we get a good dump though. First world problems...

J
Nov 13, 2015
Sweden
Sure , there is no such thing as too much power when it comes to technical riding!, Fast spool and better torque, perfect for me. 2k more, yes you only live once. Just the pure knowledge that you perhaps could have a better chance to get that climb/sidehill/or whatever is enough for me.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I'm getting one because quick power is what's needed in most technical riding situations.

Also, remember when poo went from 800-850? People were saying they didn't need the extra power from an 850? Now it's the standard and 800s feel ancient and under powered, even though they were still offered on axys sleds just two years ago and worked great in their era.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
From looking at your question, my thoughts are , your probably best off to go with a 850. I didnt question the extra cost, all i knew was i wanted it, having a factory bb MOD from a OEM is a dream come true. A boost was only 1k more but for my riding style the 9r works. If you have to question if the 9r is worth the extra 2k, than id be a betting man that the 850na is all you need.

Premium Features