• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Turbo suspension/handling

S
Feb 7, 2010
Hello all;

looking for advice on my 2021 T handling. I set the factory suspension up just like I had on my 2020 expert and liked the way it rode but they are obviously not the same sled. I Also made multiple adjustments while out riding to try and improve the eractic behavior

The new sled felt extremely heavy on the front end and rode very unpredictable, darting left or right at times uncontrollably with a few lawn darts over the handlebars while sidehilling.

Last year was the only year in the last 10 I haven’t ridden a boosted sled, so I’m having a hard time blaming it on the extra power???? Does the added weight of the small turbo and extra air intake Make it feel and handle that different? If so I’ve never noticed it on other sleds.

It reminds me of riding my high boost nytro from year’s ago on how it handles.

If this is how they are going to handle stock what suspension upgrades are going to need to be made to resolve the issue. Open to suggestions /advice really wanting to enjoy this sled but it is currently miserable to ride.

FYI. I have about 25 miles in my one day of riding mostly steep tree terrain with some open meadows, 8-11k elevation, some powder, some setup snow. 6’7” 300lbs geared up.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
This thread has some good info to check:

I believe I posted a decent suspension setup in there. Hoping to make it even more playful this year.

Last edited:
M
Oct 27, 2020
They are about 20 pounds more with the turbo which is significant but most people love them.
You could do a can and save 10 or so of those pounds back if you are willing to jeopardize the warranty.
What track length is yours?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Stiffen the heck out of the ski shocks. I usually end up on 3 by the end of the year, stiffening as they break in/soften up. Last year on my Experts I went almost to 4, and the difference was stunning, even from 3 to 4. I would think with your size and the extra turbo weight, full stiff. The predictability difference was amazing. I am down to less than 200 geared, for reference. Skidoo makes a flippity floppity sled to make beginners ride better, but it becomes a hinderance once those riders get more skilled.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Last winter I rode a demo turbo back to back with my stock 17. I went back and forth several times. There is no doubt that the front end of the turbo is heavier. It also felt clumsy, but I think if I had a few hundred on the turbo sled, I would get used to it and that wouldn't be an issue. Even though its the same chassis, it still had different handling characteristics.

You and I are about the same weight. If you are on the stock suspension, you need to upgrade. Ever since 2014 I have been running revalved/resprung ski and front ski shocks. The rear shock was replaced with aftermarket to hold the weight better. The torsion springs were upgraded to the beefier springs off of a utility sled. It is 10x better than the stock suspension that's set up for a man half our weight.

Hello all;

looking for advice on my 2021 T handling. I set the factory suspension up just like I had on my 2020 expert and liked the way it rode but they are obviously not the same sled. I Also made multiple adjustments while out riding to try and improve the eractic behavior

The new sled felt extremely heavy on the front end and rode very unpredictable, darting left or right at times uncontrollably with a few lawn darts over the handlebars while sidehilling.

FYI. I have about 25 miles in my one day of riding mostly steep tree terrain with some open meadows, 8-11k elevation, some powder, some setup snow. 6’7” 300lbs geared up.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
At 300# you're definitely a candidate for custom valved aftermarket shocks...

Other things to check/change are ski alignment, limiter strap tension (I've been running mine in the long position with the factory switch on tunnel).

There's no question that the turbo engine has a lot more going on than the NA 850, and more moving parts also gives a sensation of a heavier feel (think 4T vs. 2T dirt bikes... 4T has a TON more moving parts).

S
Feb 7, 2010
Thanks for the input from everyone. Put another day on it since my last post. Made more adjustments and still doesn’t have that “correct” feel.

I have about decided from the post and fellow local riders I should upgrade to either a Tom’s, Zbroz or Kmod suspension all the way around. That being said none of my buddies are close to my weight or size

is that the correct decision and what are the pros/cons of each.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
All those aftermarket manufacturers will tremendously improve your situation. You really can't go wrong.

I'd suggest calling and having a conversation with each of them regarding your riding style/weight/goals. Cross that feeling of each with the cost for each option.

If all things were equal, at your weight, I'd likely go Kmod, but that's likely the most expensive option.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Thanks for the input from everyone. Put another day on it since my last post. Made more adjustments and still doesn’t have that “correct” feel.

I have about decided from the post and fellow local riders I should upgrade to either a Tom’s, Zbroz or Kmod suspension all the way around. That being said none of my buddies are close to my weight or size

is that the correct decision and what are the pros/cons of each.
Don't forget about raptors I'm 250 and they made a huge difference in how I could just blast through the deep or rough trails getting to the deep all day with zero fade.

Premium Features