• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 turbo dealer warning

Feb 14, 2010
there are no negatives to running a good can, it`s a win win. but some people can not see it.
I have ported some of my cylinders and got warranty, all depends on what caused the problem,
putting on a can has never caused a warranty claim, if it did it was caused by something else

M
Jan 21, 2013
I was told by my dealer that certain aftermarket cans change the exhaust temperature (sensor in muffler) reading enough that Ski doo can tell by looking at the buds file, and they will deny warranty because of this. Would be nice for a way to test aftermarket cans and compare the temperature reading compared to factory to see if there is one close.

Feb 14, 2010
I was told by my dealer that certain aftermarket cans change the exhaust temperature (sensor in muffler) reading enough that Ski doo can tell by looking at the buds file, and they will deny warranty because of this. Would be nice for a way to test aftermarket cans and compare the temperature reading compared to factory to see if there is one close.
LOL, that`s a good one, how in the hell can a can change the exhaust temperature? it can not,
dealers tell people everything voids warranty. go get a smarter dealer. one that knows what he is talking about.
some Ski Doo dealers have tested the diamond S can and used the buds files to see if they could tell,
they could not !!!

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
LOL, that`s a good one, how in the hell can a can change the exhaust temperature? it can not,
dealers tell people everything voids warranty. go get a smarter dealer. one that knows what he is talking about.
some Ski Doo dealers have tested the diamond S can and used the buds files to see if they could tell,
they could not !!!

More Back pressure = more heat...

Feb 14, 2010
More Back pressure = more heat...
Yes, but none of the cans for the factory turbo add any or enough back pressure to make heat.
in the N/A sled that`s how they get some HP back is to add a little back pressure at higher elevation.
the turbo is making the back pressure not the can.
back pressure adds heat to the cylinders. to much back pressure and it will seize up on long WOT pulls,
been there done that.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Either way, I look forward to watching this thread as winter goes along. It will be very interesting to see it develop.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Either way, I look forward to watching this thread as winter goes along. It will be very interesting to see it develop.

Exactly, cause I dont think some realize whats involved before the dealer is even allowed to work on a turbo for warranty purposes, it not like the past.
The purpose of the OP post was to raise awareness of what could “potentially” happen.

J
Nov 15, 2014
I mean essentially if BRP tells the dealer they won't warranty anything with a can then the dealer has an obligation to notify BRP if there was a can on the sled. So if they're telling you not to put one on then you take a risk if you do put one on. Whether you think BRP can find out or not. BRP makes the rules on what they warranty whether you like it or not. If your dealer wants to bend the rules and hide the fact that you had a can if they have too then good for them. Personally I wouldn't ask my dealer to do that if they told me not to put a can on.

In my personal opinion a can does nothing for you performance wise anyway and if you tell me you can notice the 7 pounds weight savings if that. I call you a liar.

Do whatever you want tho, it ain't my sled.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Most dont care about the weight. Its ease of access that is nice to chaincase..belt drive. Look at wiring or hoses

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Most dont care about the weight. Its ease of access that is nice to chaincase..belt drive. Look at wiring or hoses

Very true, It is a pain in the butt to remove the 850 muffler even on a NA sled. But “short term pain for a long term gain”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Aug 8, 2011
I don’t want the weight, the reflective heat area in the sled, the dead throttle feel the stock muffler creates...none of it.
But I also could give a flying poo about the warranty. If it breaks, it will more than likely be because of something I did too it.
But I like messing with sleds, am a big boy and will fix it myself if it fails.

Too each their own. The turbo sled has more feedback to the ecu than the NA sleds. If skidoo is posting a bulletin that says you are removing your warranty with any modification to the power train (essentially) then don’t be pissy when they deny your claim if you made a mod just because “the can shouldn’t make it fail”

I happen to agree that a free flowing muffler shouldn’t make it fail. I ran one last year and it was all upside, no downside for me. But you better believe that any aftermarket can will alter the feedback the ecu may see under certain operating conditions. And it is well within skidoo’s rights to deny your warranty because you attached some backyard engineering onto their highly tested system.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
remember that all the fuss behind a FACTORY turbo is to have the extra power AND the warranty intact.

but now you don't have the extra power, just want you lost.
if you touch anything the warranty is void.

so why not buy an expert and slap a turbo on it and do what you want with the sled?

if you're ok to wrench on your sled and don't care about losing money or a warranty why wait for a factory turbo?

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Two things that will never happen:
1. Ski Doo stating that adding a can, or use of any other after market product, will not jepordize your warranty;
2. The manufacturer of an aftermarket can, or any other aftermarket product (except for possibly Amsoil), covering the cost of repairs because Ski Doo denied your claim due to the use of their product.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
I guess here is the part of this whole thing that really steams me. Factories go ahead and blame the EPA for the fact that the stock can is huge and heavy...and they aren't exactly lying. So if it really is that terrible EPA that is the terrible guy and the factories just really wish we could have better cans, why couldn't they pick the biggest and best can manufacturer in the industry, give them the equation they need to make it perform just like stock, and then actually let us buy that one without the warranty being voided?

Remember when Yamaha still didn't offer a factory turbo, but they basically gave one or two companies the "stamp of approval" to add on a turbo and Yamaha said they would still warranty it? It drives me crazy that the manufacturers won't do that with cans. To me it just proves that their number one goal in all of life is just to find an excuse to tell you that the warranty is void and they get to flip you two middle fingers, and I hate buying from people like that, but here, all of them are the same, so I don't even really have a choice.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic rant. It's just a real sore spot for me.

T
Oct 1, 2020
...In my personal opinion a can does nothing for you performance wise anyway and if you tell me you can notice the 7 pounds weight savings if that. I call you a liar.

Do whatever you want tho, it ain't my sled.

I just run the stock, though I’ve wondered about the weight savings. Skidoo engineered the G4 to be balanced from side to side and if you reduce the weight of the can you’re messing with that as well. It seems like the balance would be more noticeable than the overall weight savings. The G4 is supposed to be just as easy to lean right or left. I haven’t heard any complaints about this so maybe it’s not noticeable.

J
Nov 15, 2014
I just run the stock, though I’ve wondered about the weight savings. Skidoo engineered the G4 to be balanced from side to side and if you reduce the weight of the can you’re messing with that as well. It seems like the balance would be more noticeable than the overall weight savings. The G4 is supposed to be just as easy to lean right or left. I haven’t heard any complaints about this so maybe it’s not noticeable.
Definitely was built to balance out the sled, BRP could definitely built the can light I'm sure. But over all balance of the sled is more important than the 4 pounds weigh savings

Premium Features