• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 rope pull notchy??

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Does anybody have a "notchy" pull on their 850?
Mine is super "notchy", "grabby", stiff to pull over. Anybody else notice this?

I did replace the pull cord with a cobra cord last year and I have removed the rope pulley by the coolant bottle.
I thought maybe I did something wrong when installing the cord, but the recoil is nice and smooth when it is off the sled. It is not "notchy", "grabby", etc...
I cannot remember if it was smooth before the cord swap.

Thoughts?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Kyle-- I replaced Cobra cords on two customer Silber builds. I think what you are feeling is normal. I felt the notchiness with the original Cobra cords and the replacements.
do you notice it on your 850?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
My pull rope is worn? Walk me through how to change the rope?
If you look on Polaris website, find the cobra pull cord under accessories, they have a decent instruction pdf on the process. This video from Jason McMurray also gives a good rundown:

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
The “pull” on my 850 had a miss in it. Every 7th pull or so it felt like it would slip a notch. I’m pretty good about getting tension on the rope before yanking. I was convinced I had a worn or chipped cog on the starter pulley.

I put a cobra cord on this fall (original rope was pretty worn) and while in there I took it all apart to inspect and clean. Couldn’t find a hint of anything amiss. Put it back together and so far no more more slip on the “pull”.

Likely not the notchy feel you’re referring to, but thought I’d share. Mine pulls relatively smooth, before and after rope change.

Premium Features