• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Polaris with the New Arctic Cat TEAM Roller bearing Drive Clutch

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Yesterday we fitted the New Arctic Cat Style roller bearing Drive clutch to the Polaris 850 Crank taper.

We had our doubts about this last summer after drawing it up on CAD and doing an over lay it looked like it wouldn't work.

There are several reason I have been wanting to do this.

# 1 - instant Throttle response day after day with no driven clutch belt deflection adjustments ever needed.

# 2 - The Physical weight of the TEAM clutch is better suited for dwill X-tend crankshaft life

#3 - The Clutch is Manufactured in Minnesota by TEAM Industries and it's easy to buy and it is an OEM factory offered part.

#4 - The Clutch has a low retail price

At this point we have fit the clutch to the Crank

What's next ?

Figuring out the perfect belt that needs to be just a touch longer then the OEM Polaris belt.

Figuring out the Clutch bolt

Figuring out the Clutch puller.

Hopefully everything can be figured out with an exsisting OEM

Hopefully all goes well with the logistics of this, because this could be the single best performance improvement for the dollar value money can buy.

Side note ( so far it looks like the electric start will not work ) with the TEAM clutch .....

If all turns out well we will address electric start models.

Dan

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I like the ZRP cover.
Dan, if u make a cover, will u focus on the clearance issue with the spider nut?

Sent it

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Always thinking outside of the box Dan! In this case it might be benificial to letting the "cat" of of the box. I'm interested in how this might turn out. Now...Don't you have a campaign to run?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Always thinking outside of the box Dan! In this case it might be benificial to letting the "cat" of of the box. I'm interested in how this might turn out. Now...Don't you have a campaign to run?
I wish Dan would work with Cat products like he does with Polaris. Find the weakness, find a solution... i love it.
He would likely need to hire more people with the increased workload?

Sent it

R
Feb 26, 2008
The exploding cat clutches is a far more rare problem than a Polaris clutch worn out in 750 miles.
Ive been expecting this upgrade to happen.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Never had a cat clutch explode, but have worn out my fair share of polaris clutches. I e thought for a while that I’d love to see the roller cat clutch on my polaris. It’s a very good upgrade on the older cats that have the non-roller team clutch

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The exploding cat clutches is a far more rare problem than a Polaris clutch worn out in 750 miles.
Ive been expecting this upgrade to happen.

Rebuilding a primary is easy and quick. Dealing with the aftermath of exploded primaries is pretty terrible, especially when warranty isn't covering it!

Im very excited to see what you come up with Dan! That clutch and how it operates takes one variable out of the clutching mix with no deflection.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Happy Face cover is the best cover we have found, and use it on all our stock, modified and turbo sleds. All billet and super easy to dynamically balance with machined set screw balance holes. The ZRP cover looks cool, and is slightly lighter, but has no real meat you can drill balance holes in. This makes it hard to balance a clutch, and causes some concern with removing additional material from an already minimalistic design. Haven't used the Indy cover, but it looks solid too.

frontside-600x400.jpg backside-600x4001.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Happy Face cover is the best cover we have found, and use it on all our stock, modified and turbo sleds. All billet and super easy to dynamically balance with machined set screw balance holes. The ZRP cover looks cool, and is slightly lighter, but has no real meat you can drill balance holes in. This makes it hard to balance a clutch, and causes some concern with removing additional material from an already minimalistic design. Haven't used the Indy cover, but it looks solid too.

I don’t think indydan makes a cat / team primary clutch cover?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Good question on the Cat TEAM cover.

We are building Heavy Duty Billet clutch covers, they are Anodized Black.

Our covers are very Heavy Duty in design targeted for higher Horse Power and Turbo use and are much easier to Balance.

All our clutch covers much different then stock, All the new motors with lite-weight crankshafts benefit from increased drive clutch weight.... Also resulting in longer weight bushing, Roller & and slide buttons life.

our clutch covers much different then stock, All the new motors with lite-weight crankshafts benefit from increased drive clutch weight.... Also resulting in longer weight bushing, Roller & and slide buttons life.

THANKS

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I wish Dan would work with Cat products like he does with Polaris. Find the weakness, find a solution... i love it.
He would likely need to hire more people with the increased workload?

Sent it

Hey Hey Hey !!! Are you a mind reader ?

I just bought a New ZR 8000 Sno Pro last Wednesday, got the track studded and clutches machined up and installed a set of proto type adjustable weights with slick shift washers and a full driven set with full progressive machined Helix, slick shift washer.

Taking it on its maiden testing run this week end up in Northern Minnesota.

I will post some pics next week.

Oh ! Also installed heated seat and a few other cool things !

Two years ago I machined up a few sets of Proto-type adjustable weights and demo'ed a New M 8000 at the Big Horns and I absolutely Loved the Roller Drive clutch.... I have been testing different Cat Adjustable weights since 2018

This sled will be tested this week-end Normally aspirated and then it's getting fitted with Flat Lander Turbo system to test our new Cat / TEAM Turbo Adjustable weights

We are sneaking into the flatlander Pump Gas Turbo market.

We have been testing a Polaris Rush 800 Axys with pump gas at sea level with great success,

we have the Polaris flatlander set up dialed in..... this week end we are going to push the boost up 2 more pounds and see if our turbo head will handle 2 more pounds on pump gas.

At current boost on pump gas with 24 / 37 Gearing it will put the speedo on 122 to 124 mph with ease.

finally !!! Giving the 1000 Yamaha' s a whooping !! ??

Fun stuff !!

Next summer is going to be a fun Flatlander Turbo Year !!

Thanks, Dan

R
Feb 26, 2008
Rebuilding a primary is easy and quick. Dealing with the aftermath of exploded primaries is pretty terrible, especially when warranty isn't covering it!

Im very excited to see what you come up with Dan! That clutch and how it operates takes one variable out of the clutching mix with no deflection.
$200 in labor, $200 in parts to rebuild a clutch that last another 500 miles.... Or a brand new clutch for $450 that lasts 2500 miles

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
$200 in labor, $200 in parts to rebuild a clutch that last another 500 miles.... Or a brand new clutch for $450 that lasts 2500 miles
Thats kind of a never ending argument. Add the cost to cut a new taper, buy a new clutch bolt and puller. Modification so the cover doesnt bottom. Do we know it lasts 2500 miles on a Polaris? I think the roller is a great idea although I hear complaints of bearing noise and failure

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dan,
A Cat clutch on a Polaris, where ever did you get that idea???

Hey Tony, back in 2000 thru about 2012 I was putting 33mm cat clutches on custom built 33mm billet PTO ends.

I have been itching to put that roller dive on a Polaris since 2018 after I demo'ed M8000 at Bear Lodge.

It isn't on yet but we are getting closer ! Time will tell ?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hey Tony, back in 2000 thru about 2012 I was putting 33mm cat clutches on custom built 33mm billet PTO ends.
It isn't on yet but we are getting closer ! Time will tell ?
2000 was 20frkin years ago. Man time flies! You old. Me old. Haha.
I have 2 new cat rollers clutches, One has 100 miles on it. I would trade for 2 new Indy Dan massaged new P85’s with a Cat taper. Thread derail alert.

Last edited:
P
Jan 22, 2013
leduc, alberta
Good question on the Cat TEAM cover.

We are building Heavy Duty Billet clutch covers, they are Anodized Black.

Our covers are very Heavy Duty in design targeted for higher Horse Power and Turbo use and are much easier to Balance.

All our clutch covers much different then stock, All the new motors with lite-weight crankshafts benefit from increased drive clutch weight.... Also resulting in longer weight bushing, Roller & and slide buttons life.

our clutch covers much different then stock, All the new motors with lite-weight crankshafts benefit from increased drive clutch weight.... Also resulting in longer weight bushing, Roller & and slide buttons life.

THANKS

Dan
Sounds like there's more torsional vibration with the light weight cranks.......which also makes it harder to hold onto a belt without building heat.....in addition to rattling the clutch apart...!!

Premium Features