• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Polaris with the New Arctic Cat TEAM Roller bearing Drive Clutch

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
it's a hard pass on taking off the best most consistent clutches in the snowmobile world to put a cat clutch on that a company that has been plagued with clutching problems for the las 15 years .no
freaking thanks
My thoughts exactly!

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I would also agree with you in general but if Dans doing this and eventually sales them I would have no problem trusting it will work as advertised and actually help a certain aspect in performance of the sled and if it does have problems I have 100% faith he’ll stand behind it.

The snowmobile aftermarket community doesn’t have a great reputation for selling quality products that work as advertised in some cases they actually make a problem worse. The manufactures even struggle to make a durable products with most new release snowmobile plagued with one sort of problem or another.
i.e Early Ski Doo gen 4 clutching and early Polaris 850 motors

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I would also agree with you in general but if Dans doing this and eventually sales them I would have no problem trusting it will work as advertised and actually help a certain aspect in performance of the sled and if it does have problems I have 100% faith he’ll stand behind it.

The snowmobile aftermarket community doesn’t have a great reputation for selling quality products that work as advertised in some cases they actually make a problem worse. The manufactures even struggle to make a durable products with most new release snowmobile plagued with one sort of problem or another.
i.e Early Ski Doo gen 4 clutching and early Polaris 850 motors
one thing that always has to be considered is that dan may be a great guy but like every one in business is looking for ways to expand his business ,some times with nice but not needed products

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What part of the primary clutch is that, the outer sheave with the towers and weights?
Yes the outer sheave. Hairline crack from the center , near the towers, all the way to the outer edge, rolling over to the sheave face. 1,100mi. My belt lasted longer than the clutch...

Sent it

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
What part of the primary clutch is that, the outer sheave with the towers and weights?
There are 3 guys in our riding group that have all had their primary clutches break. they all ride hard and can't seem to get more than 300 miles out of them before they crack. One of them came right apart and bent the crank and his sled was down for 6 weeks last year waiting for a new motor, it also broke one of his a-arms when it came apart. These are not just isolated incidents.

D898B79C-252E-4FC2-A795-7D321B696E1A.jpeg 0C85FFF1-8633-4410-99AE-005350B5D6CE.png 836C4894-6CB1-4FD5-9CB9-A1F6BF9D8463.png

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
There are 3 guys in our riding group that have all had their primary clutches break. they all ride hard and can't seem to get more than 300 miles out of them before they crack. One of them came right apart and bent the crank and his sled was down for 6 weeks last year waiting for a new motor, it also broke one of his a-arms when it came apart. These are not just isolated incidents.
Pretty common story with Cats.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Team has made the Cat mountain clutches since 2016 model year. The 2018-2021 and early build 2022s had the roller bearing in the bottom, also made by Team. The roller bearing moveable sheaves seem to be the ones prone to cracking and coming apart. They have a bigger hole in the center to slide over the roller. The removal of that material coupled with a cover that bottoms out on the spider nut before the sheaves make contact makes them more prone to failure it seems. The 2022 primaries are a new design that is 1" narrower, 3/4lb lighter, and don't have any markings on them so it's unknown what vendor is supplying them.

Premium Features