• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So it looks like they’ve got 2 major issues fixed. Bearing and sealant. Two left. The runability issues(fouled plugs, bog, hot start) and the cylinder wall finish. Those two are most likely related too. I’d suspect if the cylinders aren’t sealing well then the new tune won’t fix it. Also it’s odd that the new tune has made some sleds run worse. Mystery issues like this, with no easy universal fix, scare me away from purchase.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
new program for the hot start/issues as well, I sure hope they update to this new design for the motors that roach the bearings...we can only hope but they are listening so thats really good to see

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I notice the changes to the 850 are buried deep, but that figures. So far I'm not seeing a disaster on the '19 850s, just a number of failures that could have been avoided. Based on that and the improvements for '20, I'd consider an 850 if I were buying. The cylinder finish is the biggest remaining reservation I'd have; I suspect they'll improve it for 2020, but through small changes in the bore-hone-finish process rather than something major. My biggest concern would be that they keep turning out motors with a cylinder finish like the one Dan shared, but I still wonder if that was an early production model where they were still getting the tooling sorted out. It would be nice to see a few more examples. Other than the question of the cylinder finish, I'd say the 850 is looking pretty good for '20.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So it looks like they’ve got 2 major issues fixed. Bearing and sealant. Two left. The runability issues(fouled plugs, bog, hot start) and the cylinder wall finish. Those two are most likely related too. I’d suspect if the cylinders aren’t sealing well then the new tune won’t fix it. Also it’s odd that the new tune has made some sleds run worse. Mystery issues like this, with no easy universal fix, scare me away from purchase.
They specifically mention the hot start/mapping issues as fixes for 2020 as well. The cylinder finish...doesn't seem to be presenting any issues, so not sure if there's anything to fix. I think the very public disclosure of the fixes in itself shows some real commitment to the program.

I don't think there's a huge mystery why the map works better on some sleds than others. Every set of injectors and every motor is slightly different. Also...there is probably some mis-diagnosis cases going on to, where the running issue is from something more rudimentary than the map (plugs, fuel system, etc). Further to that ....it's an age old phenomenon that some sleds have always ran better than others (all manufacturers) even when everything is supposed to be "the same."

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
They specifically mention the hot start/mapping issues as fixes for 2020 as well. The cylinder finish...doesn't seem to be presenting any issues, so not sure if there's anything to fix. I think the very public disclosure of the fixes in itself shows some real commitment to the program.

I don't think there's a huge mystery why the map works better on some sleds than others. Every set of injectors and every motor is slightly different. Also...there is probably some mis-diagnosis cases going on to, where the running issue is from something more rudimentary than the map (plugs, fuel system, etc). Further to that ....it's an age old phenomenon that some sleds have always ran better than others (all manufacturers) even when everything is supposed to be "the same."

They “mention” it but the new map is not fixing some sleds and making other sleds run worse. Which maybe gets us to the cylinder finish. If the finish is so rough that it’s eating rings and sleds are leaking down past 5% then no map will fix that. Or it’s something else. That’s a mystery lol.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
We have rectified the fouling/starting issues we’ve come across on a few machines by replacing injectors and/or the remap depending on the machine. Also seen a couple issues this year with NGK plugs. I don’t think there’s a big mystery, just easy to mis-diagnose when there could be 2 things going on at the same time. Had some issues yes, but this point in the season, we don’t have an 850 out there that’s not running well (that I’m aware of). And no one was without their sled for more than a week +/-.

And they seem to get stronger...not weaker as the miles stack up....that shouldn’t jive with a cylinder finish problem. Like I always say...and you can see it in all of these threads... the people with the most Polaris problems are those that don’t ride 1

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Like I always say...and you can see it in all of these threads... the people with the most Polaris problems are those that don’t ride 1

That's funny, I do not have any Polaris problems since I changed brands... I had LOTs of problems while I owned them...

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
That's funny, I do not have any Polaris problems since I changed brands... I had LOTs of problems while I owned them...

Have you approached Arctic Cat or Skidoo about a sponsorship? As much time and effort as you spend on here trying to trash Polaris it's pretty pointless unless you are getting paid. You sound like a broken record. Otherwise,we are all sorry Polaris broke your heart so badly that you haven't been able to move on since. How many years has it been? 6?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Have you approached Arctic Cat or Skidoo about a sponsorship? As much time and effort as you spend on here trying to trash Polaris it's pretty pointless unless you are getting paid. You sound like a broken record. Otherwise,we are all sorry Polaris broke your heart so badly that you haven't been able to move on since. How many years has it been? 6?

Usually less than a post a day for you oversensitive Polaris types, clearly, too much more of the truth and you get you panties all wadded up. Nice try at the witty retort but you should just stick with your day job.

I also tire of the mantra regarding how great they are even though the poll listing the dead ones ticks up almost daily...

My last polaris was a new 2016 which made three in a row. So it has only been a couple of years... if you must know.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Remember on older CD players when you would drive on a rough road and the song would just skip the same few seconds over and over and over again? Sure didn't miss it...but here we are

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Remember on older CD players when you would drive on a rough road and the song would just skip the same few seconds over and over and over again? Sure didn't miss it...but here we are

...and you realize it is going both ways right? I keep telling true stories, you keep trying desperately to defend your brands honor.... tiresome it is...

Premium Features