• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
quick question for dan

little off topic but on topic with your motor knowledge , I had a M-1000 cutler 4 injector turbo I put 3,700 chute pulling miles on it, changed pistons once at 1,500 miles (cat pistons) I would love to have that or even a stock 1000 in my axys most of us always want more power, I know its not your brand but did you ever open up one of those ? and if so what did you think of it ? is there a reason the manufactures don't offer a 1000 twin ? thanks in advance Dan. Also I sure like my 800 axys I found a new 850 0 miles the guy decided to sell but after reading this thread from day 1 I just put a tubo on my 800 I will try out tomorrow for $4000 less

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
I don’t know if the 850 failure rate is an epidemic or not, but there are far more going down then what is reported in this thread. Both large Polaris dealers near me have had more then a “few” 850 crank warranty claims.
If you know someone, not a salesman, in the service department at a Polaris sled dealer then quiz them about the 850 issues. Go have a few cold ones with them and hear of the carnage.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
little off topic but on topic with your motor knowledge , I had a M-1000 cutler 4 injector turbo I put 3,700 chute pulling miles on it, changed pistons once at 1,500 miles (cat pistons) I would love to have that or even a stock 1000 in my axys most of us always want more power, I know its not your brand but did you ever open up one of those ? and if so what did you think of it ? is there a reason the manufactures don't offer a 1000 twin ? thanks in advance Dan. Also I sure like my 800 axys I found a new 850 0 miles the guy decided to sell but after reading this thread from day 1 I just put a tubo on my 800 I will try out tomorrow for $4000 less

Ya there are a few low mile 850’s for sale around here too. All of them say “just not gonna have the time to ride this year” or “must sell due to financial
troubles” :)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Up till the last couple pages, I'd have said just let it ride, but some of the recent posts are begging for moderation. I'm not necessarily suggesting that, but when it becomes a back and forth about the size of someone's shop or demanding pictures of an 850 in the other's shop, we're clearly in the silly zone. Maybe you guys could just call each other and yell back and forth over the phone now and then? Then let the customers speak to the quality of your work; I'm sure the guys who've been here for a while know the score, and us more recent members catch on pretty quick without a word from Dan or Kelsey.

Ultimately, I appreciate back and forth about what's broken and what's not, whether or not this or that is a good idea, and such. Despite the rabbit trails, this thread has been mostly that. I appreciate the moderators letting things go, but that can only go so far. I think virtually all the people posting here have contributed something. To continue being relevant and (hopefully) make this discussion more productive, I'd suggest people use their original screen names, avoid the urge to drag up past squabbles, and remember that sometimes the best answer to a (seemingly) dumb question is to ignore it. Finally, I myself am off topic here, so (in all seriousness) feel free to moderate this post if my talking about going off topic is too far off topic!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Best thread

Anyone screen shoting all this before the mods delete it all!?

It would be sad if posts got deleted or senosred by the moderators.

This thread has been viewed more than 121,800 times.
It's had 3121 members view it.
It's got more than 1085 replies.
And it's had more than 420 viewers at one time.

It's one of the best threads I've ever read.
If you choose to open your mind there's lots to be learned here!

Last edited:

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
If this thread gets locked or moderated, I will need anti depression meds:face-icon-small-win.
May possibly have to move to a state with legalized medical Mary Jane.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I don’t know if the 850 failure rate is an epidemic or not, but there are far more going down then what is reported in this thread. Both large Polaris dealers near me have had more then a “few” 850 crank warranty claims.
If you know someone, not a salesman, in the service department at a Polaris sled dealer then quiz them about the 850 issues. Go have a few cold ones with them and hear of the carnage.

Not sure I would call it carnage..... not yet any way.
My dealer isn't large by no means but they have 30, 850's on the snow up here and not one engine failure to date. A few of them are now over 1000 Klm (600 miles). He mentioned that he knows of two 850 crank failures from talking to other dealers that they horse trade back and forth with, couldn't tell you how many 850's they sold though.
Pretty happy with mine so far, hasn't missed a beat, the sled is frickin awesome.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Up till the last couple pages, I'd have said just let it ride, but some of the recent posts are begging for moderation. I'm not necessarily suggesting that, but when it becomes a back and forth about the size of someone's shop or demanding pictures of an 850 in the other's shop, we're clearly in the silly zone.

C'mon man!
Do you leave a hockey match when a fight breaks out?
Of course not! It's part of the entertainment!
People keep referring to the view count...well the side show is part of the attraction. It keeps us checking in to see who can swing their dink higher.
The only people getting all butthurt are the spectators. How gay is that?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
C'mon man!
People keep referring to the view count...well the side show is part of the attraction. It keeps us checking in to see who can swing their dink higher.

I just couldn't resist. LOL

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Talked to local dealer yesterday and he said they sold 18 and have had 1 bearing failure. He did not have much info because the customer is in McCall and took it to a dealer down there to fix it. The only info was they were putting a long block in it as we speak. I will try and get more info on the exact failure.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
C'mon man!
This thread ain't nothin'. It's tame compared to the old days.. Where is Tetonice anyway?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
This thread ain't nothin'. It's tame compared to the old days.. Where is Tetonice anyway?

LOL !!! An't that the truth !! I missed you Doug !!

ohhhhhhhhhh..... him and I use to get into it !!

There is some funny people on here !! :face-icon-small-hap

I sense .... Butthurt !

Feels a bit like the good old days !!

No PC bullchit !!

I love it !!

Dan

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
You guys need to take a fast ride down to your local dancin bar, pull out your pistons and find out once and for all who’s is better! Have a couple brewskies then find a chick (or dude if your into that) with a rough cylinder and find one with a smooth cylinder. Find out once and for all which gives you less wear! Next give a nice long duration test to the new lubes.. Start with good ole VES gold then move on to the new Chris Burandt approved super slippery racing oil. If he says it good.. ITS GOTTA BE GREAT

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
LOL !!! An't that the truth !! I missed you Doug !!

ohhhhhhhhhh..... him and I use to get into it !!

There is some funny people on here !! :face-icon-small-hap

I sense .... Butthurt !

Feels a bit like the good old days !!

No PC bullchit !!

I love it !!

Dan

I missed you too brother. No homo...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Guy in my immediate riding group out here bought two brand new 850s this year. One went down Thursday, the other went down today.

Still waiting to hear what the 'official' failure was, but holy cow.

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho

hmmmm…… interesting

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
You guys need to take a fast ride down to your local dancin bar, pull out your pistons and find out once and for all who’s is better! Have a couple brewskies then find a chick (or dude if your into that) with a rough cylinder and find one with a smooth cylinder. Find out once and for all which gives you less wear! Next give a nice long duration test to the new lubes.. Start with good ole VES gold then move on to the new Chris Burandt approved super slippery racing oil. If he says it good.. ITS GOTTA BE GREAT

Perfect Saturday night post if I’ve ever seen one!!

Please have 2 more and keep
Going.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Rode with an 840 today.
Made it back to the truck under its own power. Just over 100miles. The guy loves it, other than the hard starting. Not a deal breaker but that would really piss me off if i had to hold the throttle wide open and pull 5+plus times to start my brand new sled...

Premium Features