• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 exhaust valve cleaning

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Last year someone posted a really well made set of instructions with pictures on cleaning the valves on the 850. If followed corectly a re-learn wouldn't be necessary. I've searched the forum hi and low and can't find it. Likely right in front of me. Does any one now where to find it? Thanks.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I can't find it either, but for your information it is possible to wiggle the valves out if you remove the two bolts holding the steering post, it's a tight squeeze but it can be done. There is no need to remove the cable, just pull up and fold back and lay on the pipe to clean, be careful not to kink the cable and reinstall, no need for a relearn.

J
Nov 25, 2019
How much difference is there between the 850 and 800 for room to remove the exhaust valves.
On my 800 I found it was easier to remove/install the exhaust valves if I pulled the on the cable to get the valves into the open position. It gave me more room between the steering post and engine.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
I just recently cleaned my exhaust valves on a 21 Pro 850 (1500 mountain miles). They were fairly dirty, but not anything I wouldn't have expected. I never removed the cable, never loosened any of the nuts other than the 4 allen bolts holding the valves in place. On my first ride out the sled would only run 7700 - 7900 RPMs. It would occasionally spike up to 8150, but then immediately settle back to 7700 - 7900. At one point the sled would only pull 7100.

Plugged in the sled at my dealer and it had 12 "Exhaust Valve Actuator Feedback Position Fault" errors. We performed the recalibration, and then the sled ran fine the next day.

Bottom line, my experience tells me that you should have the recalibration run regardless of whether or not you mess with the cable. That's just my experience, and I'm lucky to have a good relationship with my dealer, so recalibration is as simple as me sending a text and then bringing my sled to the dealer. Just my 2 cents... I've read plenty of stories of people not having issues after cleaning them without recalibration, that was not my case.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I'm not sure why you would have had the code, I've cleaned dozens and just made sure everything is connected and in the same position as when I disassembled and have never had to perform a relearn.

Premium Features