• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Etec spark plugs???

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
On the 800etec the plugs can be changed with a 5/8 deep well and ratchet. I've found no issue getting non BRP plugs to index correctly. So I buy NGK BKR7EIX on amazon for $8 once each fall. The gap does open up some in a 1000-2000 miles. For indexing, there's only about a 90 degree window that the ground strap cannot be oriented for the 1 pull starts so it's pretty easy. I carry spares but have never needed them.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Pre-Indexed? Really?

For a plug to be "pre-indexed" would be possible I guess, but from a manufacturing standpoint - you would need to hold the thread location in both your head as well as your plug during production.

I guess with the right custom depth guage and a hard "standard" to go back to, you could doo it if you got together with NGK and sent them a sample of what you plan to manufacture to....

I would be interested to hear if this is actually the case on a 1.25mm pitch thread. Challenging, but dooable if you wanted to badly enough I guess.

F

fltrsei97

Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Plugs on the 850 are very difficult to change. If you're going to carry a spare you'd better play around in the shop and make sure you have the right tools with you.

The only time I've seen plug issues is fowling a plug from starting the sled and not riding it. I talked with a Skidoo mechanic and he said sometimes when the sales guys start sleds to show people they're run to cold and pretty quickly foul plugs. You need to get out and ride the sled, preferably hard, to get it hot enough to burn everything and not foul the plug(s).

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
Plugs on the 850 are very difficult to change. If you're going to carry a spare you'd better play around in the shop and make sure you have the right tools with you.

The only time I've seen plug issues is fowling a plug from starting the sled and not riding it. I talked with a Skidoo mechanic and he said sometimes when the sales guys start sleds to show people they're run to cold and pretty quickly foul plugs. You need to get out and ride the sled, preferably hard, to get it hot enough to burn everything and not foul the plug(s).
One of the snowmachine mags (Snowest? SnowTech?, other? ) mentioned a cpl yrs ago that they had fouled the plug on a new Purple sled (I think) and they wondered what was the issue here as they hadn't even been out riding yet. But then they thought about it. All the times that they had started it and not let it run so far.... They mentioned that if you are going to start it - and not go ride, that you should maybe be letting it get up to opperating temps at least. Maybe not every time that you start it, but ...

They said that this should not be much of an issue later on, but on a brand new machine - with the higher than normal oil rates and maybe even higher than normal F/O ratio, that this is especially an issue on a brand new sled.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I've had 2 etecs .. 5000 km on one and 3000 on the other

never changed plugs !
I've had 3, 2 800s and one 850. All 3 of them wanted new plugs yearly. The would run but just looking at them made me not wanting to put them back with all that soot and grime. The state of the plugs isn't that surprising considering the oil consumption of these sleds..... Just got a -22 600R, I'll see if it behaves differently.
On the indexing; it was a full blown PITA on the 850 compared to the 800, NGK or Rotax must have completely stopped to "count threads" or whatever they are supposed to do. It's as they are exactly 180 degrees off making you choose between over or under tightening. On the 800s it was usually spot on.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
No shim, the correct plugs are perfectly indexed, open electrode toward intake, mark the plugs before install
Mine have looked shot @ 700 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the replies! Haven't been on Doo for awhile and wasn't sure about the plugs. Owners manual doesn't really discuss it much in detail. Does anyone know of a good place to get them other than the dealer?
Manual states 3 years or 6,000 miles. I replaced after 3 years at 1000-1500 miles on sleds and can tell the difference. They were pretty carboned up. There is a clip type zip tie on spark plug wire over plug need to unclip and small rachet to remove

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Even if new, the plugs on my brother's 19 850 were not close to where they should have been tightened and "auto" indexed from the factory.

Replaced with new plugs from a dealer and actually tightened to where they were "supposed" to be (correct torque and index), ran better immediately. Just because it's new doesn't mean they're tightened and properly indexed from the factory...

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
My small one was able to fit. Its freaky tightening them to the specified torque, at least mine was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
I've never "torqued" a spark plug.
Is that really a thing?
Especially when going for an orientation?

If so - please disclose the spec and what your "small one" is?
1/4" drive?
3/8" ?

I have a 3/8" Snap-On (Mac?) that has a semi swivel head.
I would think that would be the ticket eh?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I didn't torque them, torque wrench wouldn't easily fit.

I marked the electrode on the plug, got it "typical" spark plug tight and then made sure it was installed to spec for electrode location. Don't recall where the sparkplug opening needs to be off the top of my head.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
So I think I jinxed myself. Haha. Couple weekends ago my sled would have a miss going full throttle every now and then. It was super super minor.. but I changed my plugs anyways, today I took her out and it feels like I went from eco mode to sport mode.. not sure how many of you know what I mean, but the throttle response was very noticeable. Guess I'll be changing them every year now. LOL

Premium Features