• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 cold start flooding

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Damn hope you guys get it sorted. Knocking on wood, my 19 has never skipped a beat. Ran original flat ll last year, and did the '20 flash for this year.
Was so concerned about it, I bought 2 spare sets of plugs with it when I picked it up. literally just took them out of them handlebar bag and tossed them in the tunnel bag, along with the plug wrench, as I've never needed them..
Best of luck to you !

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
This just happened to my buddies 20. Sled briefly fires than stalls, pull and pull and nothing. Change plugs and same thing, briefly fires then stalls. Off to dealer today.
Back in the day we use to swap out the BR9ES on our doo's to BR9EYA and never fouled a plug again. Has anybody tried another plug on the 850?

H
Mar 25, 2019
This just happened to my buddies 20. Sled briefly fires than stalls, pull and pull and nothing. Change plugs and same thing, briefly fires then stalls. Off to dealer today.
Back in the day we use to swap out the BR9ES on our doo's to BR9EYA and never fouled a plug again. Has anybody tried another plug on the 850?
I have been using BPR8ES now for 35 hours and have not foueld a plug, with the BPR9ES plugs i would foul one every 2 hours. I put 100h on my 850 and went through 50 BPR9ES plugs, at 100 hours i finally decided to try BPR8ES, NOW i have 135 hours and havent fouled a plug since. I hope this could help because it can get quite frustrating wrenching under the hood changing plugs in the mountains.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

BR9EYA in mine since new. Starts every time .

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Historically, folks used to put oil in the tank during break-in.

I know people have said it, and people have heard it...but folks are still doing it...
DON'T DO THAT on these.

They have it programmed into the ECU.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Why not add oil makes it run better rings seal better bearings more slippery free power. Shorten idle time put it to the bar ride it like you stole it for four years then buy another one and repeat.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I have been using BPR8ES now for 35 hours and have not foueld a plug, with the BPR9ES plugs i would foul one every 2 hours. I put 100h on my 850 and went through 50 BPR9ES plugs, at 100 hours i finally decided to try BPR8ES, NOW i have 135 hours and havent fouled a plug since. I hope this could help because it can get quite frustrating wrenching under the hood changing plugs in the mountains.

I was just going to try the same thing. Also note the BPR9ES has a 10k ohm resistor (vs 5k) built in. I think this detail is a big miss by Polaris and causing a lot of the issues. The BPR8ES plug has a 5k resistor but there is no solid top available from NGK. So I am thinking Polaris decided to just go with the colder “9” to avoid screw top issues. I was going to throw in good old solid top BR8ES non projector tips. They have worked great forever so why re-invent the wheel? The projector tip could be causing the deto issues also.

Also what oil are you guys running? This new VES extreme does not work at all with the programed injection rate IMO. I am switching back to gold. VES gold doesn’t smoke like this even at double the injection rate. This sh!t is a mess.

22062f6ff5ec669717ab407a006f2876.jpg

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Need oil selection mode. Cut injection rate 25% for VES extreme then maybe it works right.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
So I’m now convinced this issue is partly due to VES Extreme oil. I switched back to my go to oil VES Gold and my sled was flat rippin today! No more smokey idle and it was crisp all day long. My oil tank was 80% empty when I switched. I topped off with one gallon of VES Gold. After 1/2 hour it was a noticeable difference in performance. I want to run another tank then pull plugs. Verify difference.

I don’t think the injection rates should be the same on these 2 oils. The Extreme may work better at a lower rate. However I like to use oil and the Gold burns cleaner at high injection rates. Easy decision!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Need oil selection mode. Cut injection rate 25% for VES extreme then maybe it works right.
Can't imagine wanting a lower rate. Polaris's already use way less oil than anything. I swear my buddy could ride all week. Safely 3 or 4 days. They burn way less than an etec.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Can't imagine wanting a lower rate. Polaris's already use way less oil than anything. I swear my buddy could ride all week. Safely 3 or 4 days. They burn way less than an etec.
What is the oil ratio on his Axys?
I have a hard time believing it is higher than 65:1 average. That is what the Ctec's are.

Sent it

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
My 2020 just did this today. Hauled it on the sled deck with temperature 0-5 degrees and could barely pull it over when we got there. Ended up fouling the plugs. Finally got it started and it ran fine and started fine the rest of the day.
Does anybody have a picture of where to unplug the fuel pump.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
What is the oil ratio on his Axys?
I have a hard time believing it is higher than 65:1 average. That is what the Ctec's are.

Sent it
I actually don't know but seems scary to me. I used more on my alpha and 850 doo. Part of the trouble with the alpha is their crappy oil tank. Can't tell so always fill it.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009

Mine don’t..

2020 850 with 560 miles. It eats oil and smoked like a forest fire until I switched back to VES Gold. Also swapped in BPR8ES plugs and it rips now! I can live with high oil usage but not with that smokey VES extreme oil. Neighbors got pissed off when I load up.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I’ve found if it’s cold and doesn’t start in 3 pulls. Stop, and unplug the flat connector. Pull 3-5 times and then replug.

running BR9EYA at .028” gap on your (Stock) 850?

....... Can also be caused by TJ’s dealer robbing his coolant temp sensor pigtail ???‍♂️

Premium Features