• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 burning coolant after sitting all summer

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
So decided to start getting the sled ready for winter, noticed the coolant was a little low. (Last ride of the year was in april after a big snow storm but it got pretty warm later in the day, sled temp got up to about 165 when i got to the truck and some asphalt riding) Topped it off. Started the sled and let it warm up and raised the track off the ground to start running it up. Was going fine blipping the throttle a bit but after it got up to about 105 i noticed when i would hit the throttle fairly good the coolant bottle was a little lower each time. Maybe 1-2 oz lower. Topped it off again and same thing. Let it cool, topped off tried again. Doesnt seem to drop til after it gets over 100 degrees. Prior to my last ride of the season i installed a slp head, so i checked if the head bolts were loose. They were a little and retorqued the head bolts. Tried again and still loosing coolant. So i pulled the head to check o rings. They were replaced when i installed the head. They seem fine but hard to say. Gonna grab some new o rings and install the stock head. Anyone have any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Wondering if you are just working air bubbles out since you probably expanded the fluid at 165°F.
Plugs show anything but a normal color?
Excess fumes or steam out exhaust like it has abundant moisture?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Wondering if you are just working air bubbles out since you probably expanded the fluid at 165°F.
Plugs show anything but a normal color?
Excess fumes or steam out exhaust like it has abundant moisture?
Ya its definitely burning some coolant. Plugs were pretty wet, steam out of exhaust

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
What did you think of the SLP head as far as how well it worked on your sled?

Premium Features