• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 100 Hour break period ? Anyone hear of this? & Bog hesitation at 6100 -6450 Rpm

D
Nov 28, 2010
19 850 problem w bog burble hesitating at 6100-6450 rpms
Dealer installed oct reflash on ecu Did not fix bog
Took sled back to dealer said exhaust relay was bad and they replaced it Ran good all of 10 min then back to same bog
Took sled to different dealer
Hooked up digital wrench found no power to relay
Eventually found bad actuator to exhaust valves Ordered new and replace under warranty
Rode sled ran good about 30 miles until I opened it up on lake and bog came back
Took sled back to dealer again and they are looking into possible ecu replacement
Service tech checked hours on sled was at 77.8 hours
Tech said directly to me that sled is still in break in mode until 100 hours ??
I said WTF??? Really never heard of this
Anyone out there hear of this?
tech said when I hit 100 hours hang on cuz sled is going to wake the hell up (QUOTE)
Yes 100 hours !!
Any help on this bog problem or opinions on 100 hours please LMK Thx

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
100 hours on a mountain sled would be like 1500 miles. It would take me 2 decent seasons to reach that.
Pretty sure the owner's manual says 10 hours (above 5500rpm)

J
Feb 26, 2018
Sounds like horseshizz.

Supposed to be 10 hours only above 5500 rippums.

Is it possible there is an ECU parameter for Grandmothers that only putt around so break in ends at 100 hours regardless of RPM, who knows.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
When I took my sled into the dealer for the 19.5 flash I asked them to print me out the digital wrench scan which shows any prior codes, parameters and the rpms vs time,.. I was surprised at what I saw.
Well ya got me Curious now . I’m sure if my sled could talk it would tell come on let’s gooooooooooo

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Regardless of hours I’m 100% confident what you are experiencing has nothing to do with break in or break in mode.

And regardless of THAT...at 77 hours you are well past any break in mode. So forget about all that.

Has it done this from day 1 or is it a new issue?

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
That tech is smoking dope and blowing the smoke up your azz. There is nothing about a 100 hour break in. I hope you can get it figured out, that sucks. That is exactly what I would worry about taking anything to a dealer, and those are the same guys wrenching on stuff. I went and ask the service department that I bought my 2020 850 from if they added oil to the first tank because it looked like there was oil in the gas, it had a funny color. The guy in the service department told me no that they were 4 strokes and dont use two stroke oil, I told him it was a two stroke and asked to talk to the guy that signed the PDI check sheet to find out for sure. This type of thing dont give a guy warm and fuzzies about the dealership.

Sinister306

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2014
Saskatchewan
Have you owned it since new? if not, it is a possibility the motor had been rebuilt at some point in which the tech would restart the break in procedure on the ecu again. On a side note i have 17.5 hours on my 2020 and figured i had to be off break in however the service report says much different.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
When you have this hesitation/bog does the sled pock right up with a little throttle? I hear something like this on mine and with a little throttle it picks right up.

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I had injectors fail on my 17 800. It's not an 850 but might be worth while checking for sure. sled would run but there was a bog just above engagment rpm. would seem to go away with more power application

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Perhaps they forgot to re-calibrate / re-learn the exhaust valves after replacing the hard parts? Not the worst guess....the "100 hour break" isn't inspiring a lot of confidence.

Injector issue is another guess, not unheard of on 850's. Or partial clog after the summer if it ran on old fuel. Spark plug cap not fully seated. It really needs a proper diagnosis for an issue like that unfortunately.

Last edited:
D
Nov 28, 2010
Exhaust valves relearn was done 2x by tech
Injector issue would show up on dig wrench ??
could possibly be injectors??
exhaust temp sensor??
Feels like exhaust valve is sticking but tech went thru them and perfect
I told him to install new cable just because to try it out???
if I throttle it easy thru rpm range from 1800 to 8300 w constant easy application of throttle sled will not bog or hiccup
Same if I ease throttle back down thru rpm
If I ride around 5900 rpm range easy like trail ride then hit 6000-6100 it will bog hesitating till I get thru it at 6450 then runs clean
If I'm run wfo and then chop throttle off quick then add throttle again around like 7100 rpm it will kick on Det
Fuel is perfect no bad gas Same shell 91 in 8 sleds Shell station is constant w sleds fill up all season been using shell for life of sleds I trust it Tech even tested fuel and all good
I heard oct reflash is causing extreme lean conditions on top end and messing w DET
Any one else w Det issues??
and thank you for all responding to help me they this

Premium Features