• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800R standalone fuel injection??

H
Sep 29, 2011
I have a 2008 summit X 800R and have been doing alot of research and nobody seems to make a 2 stroke specific standalone efi system for carbed sleds??? Crazy. Megasquirt makes a microsquirt that is waterproof for the control side and I would think you could modify some cat m8 throttle bodies/injectors?? It seems there would be quite a market for a bolt on efi system for 2 stroke carbed snowmobiles. I know alot of people are going to say whats the point, everything will be injected soon anyway. That is not the point of my post. This is for guys like me that like different things and cannot go out and buy the best/latest hotrod but can afford to make my current sled better and like to work on it. If anyone has any info or ideas let me know? Again do not post with comments other than the thread topic. Thanks guys.

T
Aug 8, 2011
We built an 08 with a turbo and a micro squirt.

There are a few issues, first being you lose your gauge and reverse. And you have to have a battery.
Then comes the INSANE amount of hours it takes too build maps that work well. Its tough too draft complete maps from scratch with no factory basics to work from. We did it, it worked, but it wasnt worth it.

There were no available two stroke turbo maps for the micro squirt when we did it so there was no known good starting point. Working in load based fueling with map sensor and throttle position sensor is the way to go. Its just tough and takes alot of time to build a sled that doesnt make as much power as a well done carb package.

H
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks man. It seems that with 2012 coming up someone would be doing this. It seriously blows my mind as this is an old idea and you could buy a bolt on kit for carburated cars 20 years ago. I would think there would be a descent market especially for ski doo riders for a plug and play efi system, making turbo applications that much easier. Doesnt cats m8 throttle bodies have injectors on them? The throat volume should be good because the engines are both roughly the same displacement. Could you retrofit m8 efi onto an 800r xp?? I know people will say "alot of work" but it seems do able.

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
There are a TON of guys on here with huge success turboing carbed motors. So to go through the extreme amount of work to make an efi kit just doesn't make sense. As stated above it would take a lot of work and incredible knowledge to build maps and programs for no benefit. Even taking an m8 system you would need cat's program to run the injectors, and doo's program to run the spark. It's just too conviluded, again, for next to no benefit. With the advancements these guys have make running reliable turbo kits on carbed machines and the inevitable cost of an efi conversion kit I don't see it going well

H
Sep 29, 2011
I am pretty sure the last part of my post said something to the fact that I only wanted to hear from people interested in this topic. Not "how hard its going to be" and "whats the point" ravings. It is quite annoying when you see someone has posted on your thread only to open it expecting information/dialogue only to find the exact thing that you state in your post you didnt want. Besides, already thinking to use a cat flywheel and adjust the timing out electronically. Its not rocket science, and I am sure it can be done fairly simple.

H
Sep 29, 2011
No definately not on edge. I have a wrench in my hand as we speak. I was just pretty clear when I posted this thread about what it was about and what I wanted to research. When that is ignored and someone does the exact opposite it can become irritating. Enough of this "off topic" stuff. Does anyone have any "real" information regarding this project?? Thanks

H
Sep 29, 2011
When I do put down the wrench to come and check this post in hopes of some good conversation pertaining to the subject and find blah, its a waste of everyones time.

djm

Lifetime Membership
The injectors and fuel rail on the cats are located on the throttle bodies.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cat-Throttle-Body-Bodies-2007-2009-M-F-Crossfire-R-800-3007-537-/300426788136?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45f2d4fd28

I have had similar thoughts, but the exercise would be a learning experience. Not sure if the Cat case reeds impact the equation vs the Doo cylinder reed application. For some reason when doo did their sdi sleds the put the injectors in the cylinder transfer port area.

H
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks for the link. Now were talking! I think the induction differences can be worked out a few different ways. Do you know if the control box for the cat efi alternately fires the injectors or are they powered continually? As for the spark, I am thinking to ditch the whole skidoo set up and machine/fit the cat flywheel and electronics to the 800r. If its at all posible the project should be fairly inexpensive due to the easy availability of used cat efi stuff and theres already a baseline for fuel curves to start with ect...

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure powderlites had a standalone working on the etech last year. Not sure how it worked.

D
Jan 3, 2019
I have a 99 cat powder special that has the batteryless EFI, and the short block that I swapped to a Cat 500 (the original 600 crank got eaten) it runs fantastic. Two to three pulls to start when cold. Once warmed up it starts on the first pull. I kept the 600 pipe and can, with the EGT sensor in it, and kept the factory EFI, didn’t fiddle with the ecu programming at all. As for the stator, I recall having to change it cuz the plugs didn’t match up from the 500 (from a couple years earlier Pantera or something iirc, just got a screaming deal on the engine cuz the rest of the sled was pretty much destroyed) this thing doesn’t even foul plugs or anything. I think the factory Cat ECU is just programmed closed loop style, takes the EGT reading and then real-time adjusts the pwm of the injectors, if I had swapped to a 700 it would automatically richen up the A/F a tad I bet. I’m in the process now of collecting parts to jumble together my own EFI system using Cat parts to put on my 670 Rotax, because it’s a beeotch to start with the carbs. I gotta shut off the fuel valve any time it sits for more than 2 minutes, or the stupid thing floods, and then u might as well have a tow vehicle cuz it’ll take 2 hours pulling on it with the plugs out to get it aired back out enough to start. I’m gonna basically start by trying to use everything I can get off of either an M8 or M1000, and splice it all together and see what I get, and once I get it to run right I’m gonna try turboing it (already got the little TDO3 turbo I plan to use) I know this is a 6 year old thread, but I’m way too cheap to buy a new E-tec, and I’m probably not the only one. But forget the naysayers, it can be done, and the payout will be the ease of operation once it’s done. I might have to machine some adaptors or something, but I really trust the Cat ECU to get the stupid thing in the ballpark.

Premium Features