• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 crank repair

B
Dec 24, 2007
NE Iowa
I just bought a 2000 rmk 800 with a broke crank and another complete engine with a broke crank.
I was wondering if anyone has tried to rebuild there own cranks. I got a good press and can make the plate to hold the crank in the press and the V-block to true it on, but have never tried truing a crank.
Should I just spend the money and have someone else do it? I don't plan on having the sled long so I don't want to drop alot of money in it.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Give John R. a try at Northern Crankshafts. I've used him for years with great results. He can line bore your cases if they need it and can tell you if you need a new crank or if it is rebuildable. Great guy with great prices.

O
Nov 5, 2009
Minden Nv
Thanks I sent my LowerEnd off to this ShortblocksRus.com I talked to 3 other guys that have had work done by them and there very happy check it out http://www.shortblocks-r-us.com/prod...categoryId=241 Good Warranty and Price is very Good. Note the PTO bearing Support on the end on the cases I guess it moves a bearing 1 inch closer to the clutch and supports the crank much better that with a toughboy bearing kit. The 3 guys that I talked to has had one for 4 years 6000 miles the others got them 2 years ago and no problems.
1233883650686-625539012.jpg

1233883658671-17167705.jpg

Last edited:
S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Thanks I sent my LowerEnd off to this ShortblocksRus.com I talked to 3 other guys that have had work done by them and there very happy check it out http://www.shortblocks-r-us.com/prod...categoryId=241 Good Warranty and Price is very Good. Note the PTO bearing Support on the end on the cases I guess it moves a bearing 1 inch closer to the clutch and supports the crank much better that with a toughboy bearing kit. The 3 guys that I talked to has had one for 4 years 6000 miles the others got them 2 years ago and no problems.
1233883650686-625539012.jpg

1233883658671-17167705.jpg

Very interesting!

O
Nov 5, 2009
Minden Nv
How often do you grease it?

The Guys that I talk to said they only need to grease it about every 15 hours only 1 to 2 shoots with the gun.
It only lubes the outer PTO bearing the inner is lubed by 2 stroke from the injector.
I talked to Shortblocks about what work the do to it Includes (cases lineboring, Pto bearing support and related machine work, machining better oiling system in the upper cases it photos, complete crank rebuild including toughboy bearing kit, welding the crank, with new rods, main bearings) I'm having them ad a Billet PTO end shoud be sweet.

Oh and Free Return Shipping in the lower 48
Check out the site http://www.shortblocks-r-us.com/product.sc?productId=27&categoryId=241

keep you posted

Last edited:

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
We used Cranky Joe in Spokane. You can set it through AllSport Polaris in Spokane. He does the bigger bearing, but I not sure which one. I am 3 years and around 4500 miles on mine now, so I am thinking about it again. I went 7000 miles on the original OEM and was still getting 74 hp at the track. Says a lot for Amsoil, proper engine and clutch alignment, torque arm, and TLC. No TLC riding though. Guess I just got lucky, but I worked to increase my luck. The hubby, not so much, 2 cranks in 2 years.

The pics look awesome. I will have to look into it some more. Maybe next year.

M
Feb 10, 2009
stay away from shortblocks-r-us

I highly recommend not doing business with shortblocks-r-us. They never reimbursed my core charge of $800 after I sent my bad crank to them. After many atempts to contact them I had to cut my loss. It was a very bad experience.

F
Jun 7, 2008
I used All Sport Polaris in washington to rebuild my 01 RMK800 last year. I had 4500 miles on it and was still runnin strong, but wanted to do it before I blew it on the mountain and possibly destroy the cases. I was very happy with their work and they were great to deal with.

O
Nov 5, 2009
Minden Nv
ShortblocksRus.com

I had my Polaris RMK 800 done last year by them 2800 miles now and still running Great. I sent in my wife's RMK 700 and my brothers 800 at the same time They both have been running great with about 1000 miles on the 700 and my brothers got at least 2000 miles on his 800 they did no Problems.
over the summer I bought a Polaris 1200 Genesis watercraft that needed a crank bad I sent it into ShortBlocksRus to rebuild and to bore the cylinders I got it back in July Doug at ShortBlocksRus was going to Laughlin and I met up with him and picked up my stuff at the Riverside hotel and rode with him for about 5 hours on my other PWC we had a great time Bull Sh_ting and riding I like the guy and again no problems at all.

I had a buddy that needed a crank done and he set it in and he is Happy.

I will always buy from him.

Check it out www.ShortBlocksRus.com

B
Dec 22, 2015
Anyone done it themselves?

Hello all,

Just curious about the OPs original question, has anyone done the crank work themselves?

I'm new to the forum, but recently purchased a 2001 rmk 800 with 3600 miles for…. get this 300$. It has a bad connecting rod bearing on the crank side and blow piston (all on the pull cord side).

I really like doing my own work on my sleds and have access to a fabrication and metal working shop with a press. Has anyone put a new lower connecting rod bearing in themselves?

Any suggestions not to mess it up?

The previous owner said the sled was rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago with a brand new crank installed (I don't know if it has the big bearing kit). He thinks it burned up one cylinder because a carb popped half way out of the carb boot.

Thanks,

-Tom

Premium Features