• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

76 Arctic Cat

G
Mar 29, 2008
Alberta, Canada
100_2741.jpg

Someone asked for some Cat pics in one of my earlier posts. I hope you will enjoy my daughters vintage ride. 76 Arctic Cat Z 250 with a 77 Suzuki engine update kit. It goes good with the 135lb rider.

I
Dec 10, 2008
here's my hill-climber, i figure at elevation it has about 35 horsepower. despite it's incredable lack of power, it's my favorite vintage sled....as its roots are from my childhood.
pto250z.jpg

Nov 28, 2007
Spruce Grove,Ab.
gm3d, that sled brings back lots of memories.I loved trading paint with those old cats back then.I had a '75 GPX 338 bitd. sure wish I had the foresight to put it in the back of the shed back then, rather than sell it, but it is what it is, and its gone. Your Mark ten, and NWSA decals look new, are they re-done, or is the sled in that good of shape?

I
Dec 10, 2008
Rowdy - Lee Fredrickson makes repop hoods. Great guy. 651-433-2401

Decals - Frank Saldon - energeered graphics http://www.oldsleddecals.com/

I have gotten many decal sets from Frank and I've been very happy with their quality.

If you're restoring your Z and you need more help with finding various parts, don't be afraid to ask - I've already been down the research road.

What state are ya in?

Here's mine with the hood on.

25012807.jpg

me250Zheadanglebw.jpg

G
Mar 29, 2008
Alberta, Canada
76 Z Cat

07 Phazer, The Ol' girl was in great shape. We painted the hood and the ski's. The tunnel and the seat are original. The decals (Hood, Mark Ten, and NWSA are from www.sledstuff.com. Bill does a great job of this stuff. The best decal I have is the one with the Rabbit (I don't rememeber the oil company). We had the the Z Cat out to a show on the weekend and rode it a bit. Just lots of fun! You could check out some of the vintage shows in the area. PM me if you are interested!

G
Mar 29, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Race pic

Someone asked for a race pic of the Cat. Here is a shot of my daughter and I racing in the back yard. Her little Z Cat is just a little slower that the 440 Mod Sno*Jet. She can easily take the 340 Thunder Jet out with the Cat. There is just a little differnece in the weight of the riders!!!!!

catjetrace-1.jpg

Jan 21, 2009
440 z

Hey Guys, Cool pics of the 250. Any one know were i can get a kill switch for my 440. Also do you guys run unleaded in your sleds or lead aditive? Would appriciate any help. I have some old Z RACING NEWS that have articles about the 76 250 and 440. I can scan copies and send, just message me! Thanks in advance!

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Hey Guys, Cool pics of the 250. Any one know were i can get a kill switch for my 440. Also do you guys run unleaded in your sleds or lead aditive? Would appriciate any help. I have some old Z RACING NEWS that have articles about the 76 250 and 440. I can scan copies and send, just message me! Thanks in advance!

Would love to see some articles on those sleds. My first sled I bought was a 76 440Z liquid cooled I bought in 1979 from a friend that used to race it before I bought it. I sold it to another friend several years later that sold it to a guy in Lincoln, mt who has completly restored it....man that sled sure ran good.

G
Mar 29, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Info on Z Cats

76 440 Z... I would very much appreciate any info/articles that you have on the 250 Z. I don't have much info on it. I have seen the Cat race book from 74 and 75. I think races received them. Neat book. Gives out factory race tips. Thanks

Jan 21, 2009
Z Racing new

76 440 Z... I would very much appreciate any info/articles that you have on the 250 Z. I don't have much info on it. I have seen the Cat race book from 74 and 75. I think races received them. Neat book. Gives out factory race tips. Thanks

gm3d, 800poodragon! I scaned them today (pdf), message me with an email address I'll send them to you. Also do you run lead free gas in you sled says in the manual not to? do you have the operator set-up manual i can copy that for you also!

I
Dec 10, 2008
how 'bout that, he pulled it from that page. e-mail me and I'll send you the PDF - I'm not sure if you can get my e-mail from here but PM at vintagesleds under the same screen name and I'll get you my contact information.

as far as the kill switch, they don't make them...as you're probably finding out but the aftermarket ones in the catalogs, say for the el tigres, will work and that is what I used. you just have to cut off the extra wire. everything else fits perfectly into the handlebar.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2009
440 z

Well Guy, after 20 years in my mothers garage I got it out and ran it around the yard a little. Still runs great!! Just needs a little cleaning. I'll post some pics later in the week.

Premium Features