• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700xc Electrical Issues

J
Jan 5, 2015
Hello everyone, My name is Josh and I am from northern Maine. I currently riding a 1999 700xc gen 2.I have done ALOT of work to this sled to get it ready for this season. My current issue is with my lights. The other day I was out for a little burn and I turned my thumb warmer on and within seconds it caught fire. I of course turned Itoff and went back to the garage. At that point I did not have light bulbs in my headlight. Well the next day I went to install the new bulbs I purchased and as soon as I fired up my sled all three blew. Once I started investigating, I found that my voltage regulator must of gotten hot when the thumb warmer went bad. I replaced the regulator, unplugged the thumb warmer, and installed a new low beam bulb. I then went out for a test ride and within five to ten minuets I had blown another bulb. Not really sure what is going on. Has anyone else ever had an issue like this?

A
Oct 20, 2014
Sounds like the AC voltage that your sled is putting out is higher than what your voltage regulator is rated for... At least that would be where I would start. Before plugging in new lights, take a meter and verify you are infact getting DC voltage and not AC. Also verify the voltage that is being delivered to the lights.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I actually had a similar incident like this with my 1999 RMK 600 which has exactly the same wiring as your sled. The regulator went bad and blew all the bulbs so I replaced it with a new one. Everything was good for about 1/2 hour and then all the bulbs burnt out again. The new regulator went bad as well and blew all the lights again. I replaced it again and all was good for as long as I owned the sled.
First thing you should check is to ensure the regulator is well grounded to the footwell. Clean up the mounting location with some sandpaper before tightening the hold down bolt. Next thing is to start the sled and check the AC voltage on the yellow wire at the regulator at idle. It should be less than 15 (usually it will be around 12 VAC or less depending on idle speed). Next step is to leave the meter attached and increase rpm. The voltage should never go above 15 VAC. If it does then you either have a bad ground or the regulator is bad. It is impossible for the stator to put out too much AC voltage but it will put out 30 volts at full rpm. The purpose of the regulator is to bleed off the excess voltage to ground. All lights and accessories use AC voltage on these sleds, not DC.

Premium Features