• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700 powder special Severe Flooding

T
Jan 28, 2016
hell ladies n gentelmen Mark here Got a Question for any or all who may be able to help . ok here goes bought this old sled drained all the old fuel outta it put in new high test she fired up ran not to bad . Did pop n backfire a few times but when driving it hard had no problems. But heres the kicker after sitting a few days the cylinders filled with fuel . so pulled the carbs off (flat sided ones ) tore them apart one float the screws were loose so checked the needle and seats they both work good open and closed .So is it possible that the fuel pump is sucking gas into the crankcase this is the one thing that i have not checked yet . Any or all advice will be greatly appreciated Thanks A Whole Bunch Mark AKA Tatlock :face-icon-small-hap

O

olymon

Bad fuel pump would only let fuel into the side of the crank case that has the impulse line in it. Plugged vent line in a warm garage may make enough pressure to flow past the needle and seat. Sure sounds like the needle and seats though even though you say you checked them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
The fuel pump would be my best guess too, but even though the floats are moving freely and the needles appear to be closing there may still be a bit of something preventing one or both from sealing completely. Also the center seal in the crankcase is not a complete seal like the outside crank seals. It is more like piston rings with a little end gap. It will allow gas to leak from one side to the other over time.

Premium Features