• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

70 Chaparral Executive

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I picked up a 70 Chaparral Executive today. Sled is complete, track is good, drive train turns, motor (493 Hirth) is free and appears in good condition. Fiberglass is in good shape except for paint faded to pink, seat is even good except for 3 hail hit holes. The sled has an 20 inch wide track and electric start. As long as I have spark the sled should run after new fuel lines, throttle cable and a carb rebuild. However I do need a windshield, Does anyone knows where I can find one? I have owned a Chaparral before. I had my dads 74 Firebird I had restored in the early 90's but sold if to make room for newer sleds. It was the only new sled our family ever owned. I did trail ride the 74 for an entire season in the Black Hills when I first moved there in 93. BTW I paid $75 for the 70 Executive. Current owner had it since new and had owned a Chaparral dealership in Minnesota.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Cleaned out the tank, replaced fuel lines and installed rebuild kit on the keihin butterfly carb. Starts and runs good at throttle but will not idle. Idle starts fast and starts to die unless I either give it throttle or choke. The slow speed idle screw only determines how quick it quits at idle with the further out the slower it will die.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Carb was a total pain in the azz but got it running good. Installed new throttle cable. Wet sanded the hood and belly pan and used a gel coat restore product to bring back the red color. Hood is fiberglass with a gel coat. Need to replace chaincase oil, install a battery, (The battery I removed was probably the original). I need to either find or have a key made for the ignition. I still need to find a windshield. Otherwise it will be ready for the next vintage ride. I should locate a spare belt and plugs. The belt on the sled is an original Chaparral drive belt and the plugs are an odd size. The skis are the only item I am considering painting, otherwise I plan on leaving the sled an original survivor.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Much progress on the old sled. Replaced battery and starter solenoid, electric start works. Replaced 1 headlight, all other lights worked. Found a NOS ignition switch, Changed chaincase oil, belt, plugs and replaced the exhaust flex pipe. I am waiting on 2 bogie wheel springs. Just installed the windshield tonight. I had to build one from a blank sheet of material since I could not find a windshield. I did find a picture on the internet to go by. The only thing I painted was the skis. I had to free up frozen track suspension components. I did find a news article on the internet where in December 1969 the 1970 Chaparral Executive was the first snowmobile to be ridden coast to coast (New York city to San Francisco). Sled was equipped with a wheel kit to replace the skis and driven down the highway at 55-60mph. They averaged 400 miles per day with one day at 728 miles (a world record). The sled was also the first to reach the summit of Pikes Peak. The sled made the 3931 mile trip with only needing to replace 2 bogie wheels, 2 belts and a chaincase gasket.

006.jpg 007.jpg 008.JPG 009.JPG

Premium Features