• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7.5 or 7 foot wide trailer

C
Mar 15, 2020
Thanks 05rmksteve. The 7.5’ is definitely the way to go? After measuring up inside to inside wall. It fits two side by side. Happy I didn’t order the 7’! Thanks again!

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Thanks 05rmksteve. The 7.5’ is definitely the way to go? After measuring up inside to inside wall. It fits two side by side. Happy I didn’t order the 7’! Thanks again!
Sorry I didn't reply I was on my way back home from CO. but it looks like you found the answer. What are you ordering? I'm looking at ordering a 7.5 x 18 legend or neo. Want one that I can haul 3 sleds in and stay over night in. My 8.5 x24 works great just stayed 3 nights in it in CO. but it's a heavy steel trailer and only has a few seasons left in it. The salt from the roads are taking a toll on it and it has about 100,000 miles on it. My 7x16 got totaled at the end of last season.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Neo 7.5 wide is 86.5" interior width compared to a legend 7.5 84".
Neo 7.5 also has wheel wells on the interior, while the legend 7.5 is flush, no wheel well. Neo is 82" wide wheel well to wheel well.

I am in the market for a 7.5x18 plus 5ft box. So 7.5x23. This size fits 2 36-37" ski stance side by side. It just fits them easier according to measurements in the NEO.

I have pictures and proof from a guy on a facebook group who fits 4 163-165 in his 7.5x18 plus 5ft v(7.5x23). Its a haulmark brand, and the front tip of the trailer is flat, kind of like he new neos are, so maybe it makes the V a 6FT instead of 5ft v.

If you look at the manufactuer websites they give these measurements. You must be able to drive the first two in and park them side x side to fit them though.

My goal is to fit 3 easily and 4 tight, Add a diesel heater and be able to sleep in it if I want too.

Next decision is leafs or torsions.. are torsion's really worth the extra coin?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Have had both torsions and leafs, lots of pros/cons out there on both. I do torsions only now, significantly more ground clearance (even with 16" wheels). No torsion axle maintenance (always cleaned, lubed my leafs, and they're steel, so they do rust). Never blew a torsion or a leaf myself, but have seen others break them. I buy a new/almost new aluminum enclosed trailer every 4-5 years at a decent price, rig them, keep them well maintained, flip to family and friends. One of my torsions from 2002 that I sold to a buddy is still on the road with no axle issues, still uses it year around. My previous trailer was a leaf with no issues. Oh, I don't overload them - pulled by oil burners - they do see speed. FWIW.

Last edited:

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Think I'm going to go with a legend 7.5 ×18 with 5' v. I like the 16 o.c wall studs roof and floor. The roof and floor are 1.5x1 which give more room for insulation.

C
Mar 15, 2020
Being new to towing to different locations around CO, I’m not familiar with the need for ground clearance. Should this be a higher priority? I typically would tow into a parking lot at Togwotee Lodge. That’s it! Any advise on clearance and which side I should have the entry door and ramp would be appreciated.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Torsion axles give you more clearance under the trailer so the axle doesn't drag in deeper snow unlike a leaf spring axle which hangs lower dragging in the snow. The roads and lots are not always plowed when a person wants to go ride.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Clearance-wise, snow, ice chunks, and rocks/frozen dirt if you're not in a maintained lot/road, and avoiding the junk that piles up in spring. Door-wise, I favor a driver side front-V - I can park tight to a bank and load/unload. I also prefer a side entry door on the passenger side; can get in and out, grap gear, check sleds, weight distribution from the side of the road/ramp without messing with traffic or dropping the rear. That's just my personal preference.

C
Mar 15, 2020
Thank you. I like the idea of the ramp on the drivers side, makes sense. I’m just having a difficult time deciding between a deck over vs the 7.5’.
Last question. Is a 27’ - 22’+V too big to maneuver the backcountry? Thank everyone. Really appreciate the opinions/ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Flipping a 27 bumper pull around will always be an exercise in planning - a CCLB adds to the challenge. My CCLB needs more than a single track to swing the front into a 90 degree backup with a 7' - 25 bumper pull. Pretty hard to trump wheelbase physics. God made sled decks for the BC.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Think I'm going to go with a legend 7.5 ×18 with 5' v. I like the 16 o.c wall studs roof and floor. The roof and floor are 1.5x1 which give more room for insulation.

I'm looking at the same exact trailer. Are you going to insulate yourself and then put on your own white vinyl on the walls?

Premium Features