• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 cfi tps

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I have a 2008 600 RMK CFI. The first week of April I headed west and rode in Laramie for a couple of days. While out there I had reverse issues, a slight bog and sometimes idle issues. Reading on here it sounded like the TPS is off. Half of the time when engaging reverse the sled would die. 1/4 of the time the engine would shut off and refire but it would still be going forward. Learned to watch the light before giving it any throttle. :eek: And the other 1/4 of the time it would work right. We were riding at about 9000 feet and it was about 40 degrees out. Now that I have it back at home, where its 70 degrees and at 1500 feet, the reverse engages correctly every time. Should I still be looking at the TPS? Does elevation affect it that much? Any thoughts on what I should be looking at?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
JD, check the tps setting..sounds like it is a little off..make sure if you take it to the dealer that they use a multimeter with the factory jumper harness vrs. the digital wrench....for some reason it will show right on the money with digital wrench but shows off with a good multimeter.......(major reason so many D-800's are having more problems then they should cause dealer slaps digital wrench on and it says good when it will be off with a multimeter)

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
Thats what I was suspecting that it was the tps, but it just seemed weird that it runs fine back in Iowa, but bogs and has issues out west. Especially when you only get to ride about 15 days a season out west. Looking forward to having it run good out west next year though. I was gonna build a harness and check it myself. The closest dealer is a hour and a half away. I have the tools so its just easier for me to check it myself.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thats what I was suspecting that it was the tps, but it just seemed weird that it runs fine back in Iowa, but bogs and has issues out west. Especially when you only get to ride about 15 days a season out west. Looking forward to having it run good out west next year though. I was gonna build a harness and check it myself. The closest dealer is a hour and a half away. I have the tools so its just easier for me to check it myself.

thats better yet to do it yourself..just make sure you use a quality multimeter....the settings are absolutely critical to how the sled runs(reverse,rich/lean)Muontain Horse has a great thread with vid on it in here....

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I have all summer to get it done. :D My meter I have should work. Its a Fluke meter. It cost me $350 a couple of years ago, so it should be of high enough quality. Just don't know if I can wait til December to try it out again after its set. Gonna be a long wait. :clock:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Should have a high altitude setting and low alt setting for the PERC, hold the button in for a few seconds for high altitude. AT least it was this way for carbed models, may be the same for your CFI by the sounds of it. Reverse light blinks twice/second in high altitude mode. Once/sec in normal low mode.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
Should have a high altitude setting and low alt setting for the PERC, hold the button in for a few seconds for high altitude. AT least it was this way for carbed models, may be the same for your CFI by the sounds of it. Reverse light blinks twice/second in high altitude mode. Once/sec in normal low mode.

I know my 05 rmk had that. I think I tried that once on this one but I don't think the cfi sleds have that. I'll try that tonight though just to make sure.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
Got my TPS set tonight. First off its about time Polaris redesigned the air box on those sleds. After changing jets on a buddys 07 it sure is nice installing it on a 08.

I made a harness to set the tps from the sticky. My harness read 5.012 V to begin with, so it was .01V high but it the variance allowed is .01V so it was good. The baseline tps setting was at .931 V and I set it to spec at .955 V
The idle setting was .722 V so I set that to .705V. Now the 7 month wait begins to see how much difference this makes.

Last edited:
Premium Features