• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

6.7 Powerstroke reliability?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
There is a service bulletin relating to condensation building up in the intercooler causing the engine to stutter/miss.

This is more evident in humid climates and in the rain. This is not weather we usually get in montana and I have never had an issue with mine.

YEP, that sounds familiar. I think that's what he said.
He lives in North Dakota, so he get the humidity...but it can't be anything like people in the southland would have.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The problem is you got too much fuel in the tank. That stuff is heavy.

This mornings drive in with my EB; 42 degrees, 10 mph head wind, flat road, I reset the trip meter once warmed up and at cruise to 65 mph corrected; unacceptable to me ��

attachment.php

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
I tune diesels and honestly the ford 6.7 is by far the best motor/trans combo thus far. Even stock they rock! Hey scott hit me up I stock amp steps man 406-899-2838

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I tune diesels and honestly the ford 6.7 is by far the best motor/trans combo thus far. Even stock they rock! Hey scott hit me up I stock amp steps man 406-899-2838

Get me a price on the longer version!!!

Send me a PM if you wish.

Thanks.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
i bought a 13 250 crew cab. My first ford and love it old truck was a checy ex cab wtih 6.0. i went with a 6.2 and it does fine towing heavy loads. and getting about 16 mph highway i have got 17.3 once but with a strong tail wind. IMO if you dont pull everyday you never get your money back out of them You can buy alot of Gas for the extra 5-7k the diesel motor costs. chainging oild is double of gas. One set of injectors buys alot of gas also.

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
This mornings drive in with my EB; 42 degrees, 10 mph head wind, flat road, I reset the trip meter once warmed up and at cruise to 65 mph corrected; unacceptable to me ��

Yep IMO the 3.55 gear ratio is your culprit. From what I have experienced and heard the 3.73 ratio pick-ups get better mileage. I consistently get 20+ empty and 10 towing.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Drove a 14 F350 Powerstroke with 3.55s. Really liked it. Like how the low 1st gear in the tranny. Runs hard. Feels faster then the Cummins but does not ride as nice as the Ram 2500. Can't wait to see what the 15 is going to make for power.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
My buddy has a 6.7L with the deletes all in H&S tuner. He has 117,000km on his truck and just replaced the turbo $4800 bucks and now it is down again with tranny whooped. We got the tranny out yesterday and it took 4hours to flush all the metal filings out of the system. After seeing this think apart WOW not good. I am not impressed with the H&S tuner. To be honest buddy never rat bagged his truck I couldn't believe all the filings I seen.

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
Gonna buy a new SD before year end, don't need a diesel but kinda want one. I know of some of the horror stories I've read in forums about costly repairs , catastrophic failures , etc as well as those who guarantee 500k trouble free miles. My question is....where can a guy go to get the real truth about the reliability. I can't help but feel uncomfortable just using forums as the gospel.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Kinda old thread but I do have experience with the newer ford diesels. I work for a large utility company that has a ton of 550’s, probably close to 100 company wide. They weight around 15-18k, get driven a ton, rarely tow, get maintained very well and spend a lot of time idling or with an elevated idle with the PTO on. They had such issues with the post 7.4 diesel that a few years ago they went to gassers. First year guys got the 10 cylinder now its the “godzilla” motor. Let that sink in. A giant slow to move mismanaged company with more $ than brains got tired of putting motors in trucks. Nothing moves fast here and they step over dollars all day long to pick up dimes. Had tons of issues with 6.0 and 6.4 and the 6.7s were great till they blew up without warning. We had all 6 in our shop blow up between 120k and 160k. Same story cruising down the road and poof. Our mechanics say that with our idel and PTO hours thats around 250-300k miles. So my company puts a motor in a truck and then sends it down the road usually after 200k on the body. On a personal note I have always preferred GM trucks. Have had a 03 duramax that put a **** ton of spray on and ran 11.7’s in the quarter mile bone stock motor and turbo. Had a 06, a 20 and waiting on my new truck to get delivered. If you really want a diesel and plan on keeping forever I wouldn’t get a ford. If only planning on keeping it for 100k and like the ford I would look into it. If like a ford and don’t mind gas I have been running the “godzilla” motor in my new 550. It dosnt move this pig around as well as the 6.7 did but its not bad. Im actually impressed with how well the gasser does. Milage is 1/2 what I had with the diesel but Im not paying for fuel so what ever. A few guys at work bought new fords with the same motor and in a lite truck milage isnt as drastic of a difference as my loaded pig. Betting it would be noticeable if towing though. But would it pay for the 10k or what ever to step up to diesel? Jury is still out how long this gasser will run but honestly Im fairly impressed. GM is putting a big gasser in the HDs as well and since its an LS architecture Im sure its great. Had a 6.2 in a 1/2 ton and it was a great motor.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I love my 2012 6.7L. 192K miles on it and runs great, tons of power, quietest diesel out of the bunch. Definitely the most reliable truck I've ever had.

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
Gonna buy a new SD before year end, don't need a diesel but kinda want one. I know of some of the horror stories I've read in forums about costly repairs , catastrophic failures , etc as well as those vehicletreat.com who guarantee 500k trouble free miles. My question is....where can a guy go to get the real truth about the reliability. I can't help but feel uncomfortable just using forums as the gospel.
no response.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My '15 has been good to me. Parking brake shoe delamination at 30k miles, failed DEF heater at 50k miles and front brake pad delamination at 70k. Currently at ~72k.

2 TSBs - one for a hall effect sensor on the crankcase vent box and one for an emission sensor.

B
Dec 14, 2008
2018 F350 - great Diesel engine , 17 mpg empty

My problem ( and why I got rid of it ) DEATH WOBBLE.

Dragging an empty 16’ flatbed from SLC to Island park - 4 instances of DW
VIOLENT Shaking at 80 mph having to slow to less than 40 to make it stop on the interstate was not fun.
One of the times was between Ashton and St Anthony on that crappy stretch of road.
Less than 50K on the clock — Fords recall fix —- new Steering Stabilizer

Picked up repaired truck and could feel slight wobble over crack in the road .
I felt unsafe driving the truck after “ the fix “ .
I feel safer driving my Jeep TJ if that tells you anything

Tl/dr: great engine , scary death wobble

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

U
Well, I started pulling my open 4 place with 95 f150 with 5.8 (bout a whopping 205 hp) and I went foot to the floor, hammer lane, drained both tanks 120 mile round trip, then went 2005 3valve v-10, 350 hp with banks exhaust, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, 7 mpg loaded hauling ass, 12-14 empty, then on to 13 power stroke 6.7 H&S mini-maxx, deleted, and a 20 ft wells cargo 3 165” sleds, 80-85 mph hammer lane interstate, and just poking along on county roads to mountain, bout 14 mpg pulling, and now my 19 6.7 superduty stock, shortbed, it’s around 10 pulling but they don’t improve on mileage until at least 50k miles, mine has 23k. All my Ford’s cost me less than 2500$ total in maintenance, I’d never even consider another brand, and none are pavement princesses, all have seen beyond gross weight towing and farm-ranch life. I change oil, put good filters on them, (six or Napa gold, motor craft, run high end oils Amsoil in the v10, rotella synthetic in 13, del-vac 1030 in the 19. ). I pay attention to them, take care of them. No, I don’t care too much about mileage, I buy them to pull, work, and play. I think the 6.7 scorpion diesel is hands down the number one engine, never lost a trans rear end, or transfer case either, and no Isuzu b.s. injection problems either, can’t feature putting 6 k worth of injectors in every 80-100 k miles, that’s crap. Drive it like ya stole it with blue oval. Nuff said

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
My 2019 super duty with 6.7L has been bullet proof so far. At 90,000 miles now.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
2018 F350 - great Diesel engine , 17 mpg empty

My problem ( and why I got rid of it ) DEATH WOBBLE.

Dragging an empty 16’ flatbed from SLC to Island park - 4 instances of DW
VIOLENT Shaking at 80 mph having to slow to less than 40 to make it stop on the interstate was not fun.
One of the times was between Ashton and St Anthony on that crappy stretch of road.
Less than 50K on the clock — Fords recall fix —- new Steering Stabilizer

Picked up repaired truck and could feel slight wobble over crack in the road .
I felt unsafe driving the truck after “ the fix “ .
I feel safer driving my Jeep TJ if that tells you anything

Tl/dr: great engine , scary death wobble

Has anyone else tried this? Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive constituent of the cannabis plant, and is now legally available in drops or capsules.

I've been using it for the past week, thought it was worth a try as I suffer from insomnia. For me it really works - been sleeping much better, with no hangover effects next day.

I've been using the Holland & Barrett capsules CBD oil with Turmeric- the only problem being they're really expensive (£34.99 for 60). I've also bought, not not yet tried, some from Superdrug which are much cheaper (£4.99 for 30) though appear to be about half the strength of the H&B ones.

It would be interesting to hear others' experiences, particularly other brands you've found good.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thank you for your help

Premium Features